COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Spain-Nervous Nellie - Help!

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Spain-Nervous Nellie - Help!

My sister and I have planned to go to Barcelona and the coast for mid May. she has never traveled abroad so the recent terrorist attack has left her nervous. She is afraid of an anti-American backlash. Any thoughts so I can calm her down and get on with the trip, or is she right to worry about a backlash against traveling Americans? I have recently been to Paris and London - no problems, and I really want to see Spain. Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Most Europeans have no trouble distinguishing between a country's government and its policies and ordinary citizens. I don't think you need to worry about a backlash. Or at least that's what I would hope.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM

You will be fine. I was there last month (granted, before the attacks), and everyone was wonderfully friendly. I wouldn't worry about backlash. Spain is our ally, they are our friends.

Now, pickpockets - that you should be careful of!

Have a great time! Don't worry about things that you can't control!

Karen
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:22 AM

You won't have any problems, the spanish people are extremely tolerant and as others say, they don't make the people responsible for their goverment's policy. My husband is american and he and 2 other american friends participated in the march for the victims on Friday and he also went to vote with me on Sunday and not only did he not experience any problems but he got lots of approving looks and comments for his support, even after it turned out that the islamic terrorists are probably responsible for the attacks.
Now, if I were a person of evident arab descent in certain parts of Madrid in the next few weeks, I would probably feel unwelcome, but that's just me. It must be a sensitive time over there.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM
JonJon

You're worrying about the wrong things unless you look exactly like George Bush...THAT would make me nervous even if there hadn't been any attacks!

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:08 PM

If your sister is REALLY NERVOUS, you can e-mail me and I'll be happy to go in her place!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully your responses will ease her mind - now if I can only get her on the plane I will be set