Spain Itinerary - Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Spain for my partner's 50th and am a bit overwhelmed by trying to decide where to go and what to do...
We plan to arrive in Barcelona on May 22, 2010 and depart from Barcelona on June 5, 2010.
Initial thoughts: Spend the 1st week near/around Barcelona - maybe 3 nights in Barcelona exploring the sites and maybe a day trip to Montserrat, not sure what else...??? Please advise!

We plan to spend the 2nd week in Mallorca -- 2 friends (maybe more) will be meeting us there and we want to rent a villa. Suggestions? We're thinking of staying in the Northern area, near Pollensa - don't want to be in a touristy area.

In terms of things we like to do: We enjoy culture, art, outdoors, beaches, good restaurants, and wine and are avid cyclists.

I'd like the trip to be a nice combination of exposure to culture, but also relaxing.

All suggestions welcome for where to go, where to sleep, eat, etc. Thanks!!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Go to vrbo.com and check out rentals in Mallorca. I think your instinct that you should rent a villa there is good.

Do the same for a week in Barcelona if you're planning to use it as a base for exploring the area instead of traveling between cities.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM

It wouldn't be hard to spend a week in Barcelona with a few day trips thrown in. There is alot to see and do unless you are a "speed sightseer". Besides a daytrip to Monterserrat you could also do a trip to Girona and Figueres. Another day you could head south to Stiges and Tarragona (sp?). There is a Fat Tire Bike shop in Barcelona where you could rent bikes touse in the city or maybe beyond. I'd suggest staying in the Old City part of Barcelona - its not far from Las Ramblas or Eixemple. But if you want an apartment that is roomier, then you probably want the Eixemple area. Have fun!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM

if you intend to rent an apt. ( good idea for a week) take a look at habitat . Number of Fodor members used it.

http://www.habitatapartments.com/ El Born and L'Eixamle are good areas to stay in
Barcelona is great ( I visited 3 times), lots to see and do..a couple of side trips would be good: Girona, Sitges etc.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM

There will be plenty to do in BCN and surrounds for a week. I'd be more worried about the week in Mallorca but if you like beaches you'll be fine. The info given you by Suec is right on. Check out Maribel's guides to see more specifics.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM

If you go to Figueres to see the Theater Dali (which is great), eat at the Hotel Empoda (? spelling).
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM

Yes, Barcelona! Just returned. Ramblas, Picasso museum, Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, Parc Guell, Joan Miro museum, Catalan art museum, Placa Reial, Boqueria Market, Mercat Santa Caterina, Citadel park, Born, FC Barcelona football game. Whew!!! 6 days

Have fun
Gohedwig
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM

If you are avid cyclists, why not explore the region of Catalonia that way?

http://www.cyclomundo.com/p_catalonia_bike_beach.htm

"Exposure to culture" in Catalonia to my mind is more rewarding to my mind if you get beyond Gaudi-gawking and spend some time coming to grips with Catalan culture as an independent cultural force that goes back to greek times. Gaudi and Picasso are really the culmination of a very long Mediterranean history. Reading a book or two (like Robert Hughes' "Barcelona" could help you organize your trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Barcelona-Robe.../dp/0679743839

While in Barcelona, it pays to visit the town's greatest architectural glory, the Palau de la Musica Catalana, and if possible, attend a concert there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau_d...;sica_Catalana