Spain itinerary for sept/Oct?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an 'older' couple who have travelled lots and now plan to spend nearly four weeks driving through Spain from 22nd September to 17th October.
We have already visited Seville, Madrid, the Costa del Sol (ages ago), Ronda, Granada and Barcelona (with a lovely side trip up to Girona and Figueres!) and would like to investigate some other places this time away from the main tourist route.
We'll start with a few days in Jerez de la Frontera and end in Barcelona to fly home, so we're looking for a good route between the two.
We love: good food and wine (we like to rent apartments and frequent the local markets), historical buildings and beautiful sites, great drives through countryside, authentic villages and towns.
Already we know we want to spend some time in Cordoba but after that it's all getting a bit confusing. All suggestions very welcome!
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 05:56 PM

It is time to visit the north. It is a very interesting and varied area, perfect for those who have visited Spain in the past.

Start with San Sebastian/Donostia, Bilbao, Picos de Europa, Santander, Lugo, Burgos, Santiago de Compostela.

And then you can fly down to Cordoba.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 07:26 PM
kja

I would encourage you to consult the Michelin Green Guide, Rough Guide, and some of the MANY trip reports and planning threads on this forum. IMO, Spain is such a vast country, with SO many different options, that I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you!

That said, it seems that you have skipped central Spain so far -- Madrid and its surrounds can easily warrant 2 weeks. And the north of Spain and Pyrenees offer lots of options. You might find some useful information in my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-catalunya.cfm

Good luck!
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

hmmm we are already booked to fly down to Jerez (which I really wanted to visit) and start the trip there.

We've been working on this today and made a long list of possible places to visit. Could people kindly comment on these - or suggest better?

Start in Jerez – 3 nights minimum there
Perhaps a couple of extra days with a car around Jerez -visit Arcos and Zahara and Olvera one day, another visit Vejer de la Frontera or maybe Cadiz

Cordoba 3 nights

Over to Jaen, Baeza and Ubeda 2 nights
Visit Consuegro on the way

Up to Toledo 2-3 nights?

Avila 1-2 nights?

Salamanca
Maybe visit Candelario

Velledolid

Burgos

Logrono

Huesca?

Monasterio de Piedra

Zaragoza

Perhaps visit Valderrobres or Albarracin or Cantavieja

Costa Brava or Besalu (which is the least touristy end? - we've been to Girona and Figueres from Barcelona last time)

Barcelona aiport to leave - yes love Barcelona but have spent time there and no need to return yet.

We have a total of 25 days so there are probably too many places on this list but it's a start... hopefully.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 08:46 PM
kja

OK, some reactions:

• Cordoba: 2 or 3 nights, depending on your interests.
• Toledo: 2 or (better) 3 nights, depending on your interests.
• Avila: 1 night is likely to be sufficient, depending on when you would arrive and depart.
• Salamanca: 2 or (better) 3 nights.
• Burgos: Maybe 2 nights
• Logrono: Totally depends on what you want to see and do while in la Rioja. Consider Laguardia / Bastieri instead.
• Besalu: Maybe a day.
• Costa Brava: Too many options to summarize in a single bullet.

I can’t comment (pro or con) on the other places you visit.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 09:43 PM

It's an interesting route after Avila, but why Huesca, and the Monasterio de Piedra? Valderrobres, Albarracin and Cantavieja would be interesting. A bit of a challenge since they lie south of Zaragoza, in the hotest and driest part of Aragon, but all three are considered among the most beautiful villages in Spain for their architecture. And of course, on the route of El Cid.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 11:55 PM

You might get some inspiration from "Roads to Santiago" by Cees Nooteboom, a Nobel prize favourite for many years. Poetic journey with lots of substance through some twenty-five articles about Spanish people, places, art and culture. Can't stop reading it again and again.
http://www.amazon.com/Roads-Santiago.../dp/0156011581
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kja - I am enjoying the trip report of your amazing driving trip. What a lot you fitted in! I don't think we'll go at that pace, but it's really useful and fun to read.
Great suggestions too from Robert2016 - more investigations coming up. It is looking like a fabulous trip!
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 03:11 PM
kja

I'm glad you enjoyed my report! It was a great trip, but as you say, I fit a LOT in -- and there are many excellent reasons why travelers choose other approaches to their trips.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 05:06 PM

If you can be in Zaragoza on October 12 you can experience Fiestas del Pilar. I'd arrive the night before and try to spend a couple of days though.

Its an incredible fiesta. On October 12, thousands of people dress up in historical costume and carry flowers to a giant metal pyramid in front of the cathedral. There is a lot more to the fiesta (which runs 10 days) but that is the main day/event. Zaragoza is a great town to eat and drink in too.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow!! That sounds fabulous! Thank you so much for that information. It fits in really well and it even looks like there is still accommodation available there at the moment.
Would you advise that we stay in Zaragoza or stay outside and take a train in (eg) - if so where from?
If we stay in Zaragoza would parking be a nightmare?
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 09:00 PM

-Would you advise that we stay in Zaragoza or stay outside and take a train in (eg) - if so where from?-

I have never had a car when in Zaragoza. I have dropped one off at the train station once though (easy.) I would want to be in walking distance of the cathedral for sure... check out those hotels with parking.

Or get rid of the car when you get to Zaragoza. Easy after that to take the train to Barcelona, or Madrid for the flight back.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes I had been thinking we needed to have the car throughout the whole trip but am starting to think there are places it would be good to have it and others where it will be a nuisance. Looking at short term rentals now to see if it will work out.
Anyway hotels with parking in Zaragoza are rather pricey at festival time and we are on a moderate budget.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 05:46 AM

Last year I stayed in apartment across the river, 15 minute walk to the cathedral. It's probably booked but I can check if you don't mind the walk.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Scratch that. I checked and the apartment I rented in Zaragoza is booked for the fiesta.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

ah ha I found a hotel out near the highway for a 'reasonable price' and with free parking! Hotel GIT Ciudad De Zaragoza. It's a bit of a walk in (2-3kms) but that's ok and we won't have to drive through congested streets to get to it. Sorted! Thanks for the whole idea.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 01:55 PM

-Hotel GIT Ciudad De Zaragoza-

Cool! I googled it. You will be able to take a bus or taxi to the river then you can walk over.

Now you need to research El Tubo... tapas and wine HEAVEN.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Look at Catalonia El Pilar on your dates.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
... in Zaragoza.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 10:31 PM

Yes that's what they are talking about....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -