Spain Itinerary

Old Feb 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Itinerary

Planning my first trip to Spain for late May. Total vacation days: 22.I'm looking for any input that may help to better organize my trip. Also I'd love to hear stories about the cities I've chosen and further suggestions to make the trip more enjoyable. I love art and museums but can also just sit back and enjoy the beauty of the land.

Arrive Madrid (3 nights)
Flight to Valencia (2 nights)
Ave to Barcelona (6 nights)
Flight to Bilbao (4 nights)
Flight to Madrid (1 night)
Ave to Segovia (2 nights)
I'd like to fit in Avila here but I'm have trouble make it work. I'm thinking day trip on the way to Salamanca. Any suggestions?
?? to Salamanca(1 night) Transportation suggestions from Avila to Salamanca?
Ave to Madrid (2 nights)

We're choosing to fly to spend as little time as possible traveling. Plus with flights through ryanair and vueling being as cheap as they are, it's hard to pass up.
I'd really appreciate day trip ideas for Barcelona and Bilbao. We'll definitely go to San Sebastian but any other thoughts?
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM

2 nights in Segovia is 2 nights too long IMO. It is small and only 1/2 hour from Madrid.
You are spending 22 days , I would include Andalusia
Madrid - fly to Seville - 4 days
train to Granada 2 days
fly to Barcelona 5 days
fly to Bilbao (SS) 4 days
fly to Madrid 6 days( visit Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca overnight)
leave Valencia for another trip
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
kja

> I'd like to fit in Avila here but I'm have trouble make it work ... Transportation suggestions from Avila to Salamanca?

It's been a while, but I took a Sepulvedana bus from Segovia to Avila and then a train from Avila to Salamanca.

Unlike danon, I thought Segovia worth at least the better part of a day, which could mean two nights depending on arrival/departure times. Avila is also small. I found it worth the better part of a day, but many people visit both Segovia and Avila on the same day. Depends on what you want to see and experience and your preferred pace of travel.

> to Salamanca(1 night)

I spent two full days in Salamanca and thought I could easily have spent more.

I'm a bit surprised that Toledo isn't on your agenda. I found it well worth the two days I spent there.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.
I'm going to probe you on why I should skip out on Valencia?
Any suggestions on other places to visit while in the Basque Country, or should I not try to cram to much into that?
If I choose to go Andalusia, should I stick around Seville for four days or plan day trips?

Thanks again this helps me out a lot.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Kja- yes I'm bit surprised Toledo wasn't on my list either. Should, IYO, Toledo be a day trip or overnight? It looks incredible, but is one day screwing myself out of a lot?
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM

From Seville a day trip to Cordoba is a good idea.
If you continue right away to Seville, you may need a bit of time to adjust to the jet lag.
Both Toledo and Segovia are only 1/2 hour by AVE from Madrid.
One does not have to stay 2 nights to spend a day in ether, but that is subjective. Some people like small towns at night, I
prefer Madrid..
Valencia is just a bit hard to fit in.
Is there any chance you can fly into one city (Madrid?) and out of the other( Barcelona?)
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM
kja

> Should, IYO, Toledo be a day trip or overnight?

I found Toledo magical at night. As I said, I spent two very full days (and two nights) there and loved every minute. Other people find a day trip there sufficient.

If you decide to switch out one of your current targets, I agree with danon that putting Valencia off for another trip makes sense. But then again, I haven't been to Valencia yet, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt!
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM

Do not skip Toledo or Granada. Toledo has an astonishing cathedral and a worthy collection of El Greco paintings. The gardens of the Alhambra are at their peak in May. Staying overnight in Segovia or Toledo is nice, but I also prefer Madrid in the evening, so probably would choose only one overnight in one of them, if at all. I would just rather not change hotels again. However, you will definitely want to overnight in Granada.

I would choose Seville over Valencia. It is beautiful and fits better with Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Cordoba and Granada.

You are going to Madrid three times. I would try to re-plan so that I did everything around Madrid and Andalucia, then fly into Barcelona and home from there, so not so much time is spent backtracking. Also, you have six nights in Madrid. That is fine if you are doing day trips to Toledo and Segovia. If you are overnighting in those places, then three days in Madrid is probably enough, just no need to go back and forth to Madrid, settling into hotels in Madrid three separate times. Take those extra days saved from Valencia and Madrid and put them in Seville and Granada.

If you were short for time, I would not insist, but you have a good three weeks, so I don't think you should miss the Alhambra and Toldeo. Seville is so charming - just what most people think of when they think of Spain.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM

Oops, Toledo, not Toldeo.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Okay revised a bit.
Fly into Mad- Train to Seville (4days, day trip to Cordoba)
Train to Granada (2 days)
Fly Barcelona (4 days)
Fly Bilbao (3 days, day trip to SS)
Fly to Mad-train to Salamanca (2 days)
Train through Mad to Toledo (2 days)
Train to Madrid (5 days, Day trip(s) to Segovia and possibly Avila)

It seems silly to go from Salamanca to Toledo, but I think having the last few days without unpacking and packing and tons of travel time will be super nice. Thoughts?
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM

much better IMO!
there is a bus from the airport in Madrid to train station
for Seville (Atocha).
Also, I think ,there is bus from the airport in Madrid to Salmanca.(about 3 hours)
As far as I know, the train station -Chamartin from/to Salamanca is at the north of Madrid, the AVE to Toledo is at the south of town- Atocha( there is a local train between the two). It may be a long day.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM

For a day trip from Barcelona, you can take the train to Girona. If you click on my name you can read my trip report from this past October. We went to Barcelona for 5 nights, then drove up the Costa Brava, overnighted in Cadaques, & spent 2 nights in Girona. But you may not have time for a day trip from Barcelona. You only have 4 days there & that is really not a lot. There is lots to see & do in Barcelona. I'm envious! You will love your trip. My report names restaurants we went to, sightseeing, etc.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Your revised itinerary looks much better. It still is more moving around then I would prefer, covering alot of geography in not alot of time. However, if you don't think you'll be returning to Spain then I understand the need to see as much as possible within reason. I'd probably base myself in San Sebastian vs Bilbao. I'd also consider taking a day from Madrid and adding it to the Basque Country, but I am biased towards this area.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM

When going to food crazy San Sebastián, make sure to go for the world famous pintxos. Here are info and some suggested routes: http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en

Have a look at the Guardian/Observer article "Is San Sebastián the best place to eat in Europe?":
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.shopping2
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better to book tickets now for flights in Spain in May, or just wait until we are there and have more flexibility in our traveling?