Spain in February

Search

Spain in February

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in February

It is beginning to look like a reality, my coming to Spain. My husband will be working in Tarragona for 6 weeks. I am beginning to make plans to extend his stay by 10 days. I don't have a clue what we should see or do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Neither of us speak spanish or any other language for that matter. We are both in our early 50's so nothing over the top for night life. We really want to have a great experience with the people and culture. We really aren't looking to go crazy with travel but are interested in definitely seeing all we can in a short period of time. Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM

"We really want to have a great experience with the people and culture."
In that case, you might try to learn some Spanish ( although Catalan is the language of the region, people do speak Spanish as well). You have six months!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM

In February, your travel choices are to some extent going to be limited to how much you want to travel out of Spain's sunbelt in order to see other things. But much of the best of Spain is right in the sunbelt, although you can still expect quite cool -- if sunny -- weather.

Barcelona is the big ticket city for art, architecture and food closest to you in Catalonia, although you might prefer smaller historic and culturally rich destinations (like Girona) or to visit Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba in Andalucia. The two regions are very distinct, so you should consult a guidebook as to your preferences. I think the Alhambra is an extraordinary destination, although in February, I would be prepared for the possibility of very chilly weather and modest displays in the great gardens that adjoin the castle.

If you are not daunted by the prospect of chill, you can also visit Madrid and Toledo and other great artistic and historic sites north of Tarragona.

While learning some basic Spanish, and knowing that Catalan is the historic language of the region will enhance your stay, much English is spoken all over Spain, and especially in the South.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM

PS: One fascinating and beautiful way to organize even a short tour of Spain is to focus on staying in "paradores", which are mostly historic buildings, such as fortresses and castles, that are often centuries old. This is best done by renting a car and driving, the roads are fine, and Spanish drivers are courteous.

You can view the paradores and suggested itineraries here:

http://www.paradores-spain.com/
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I will try to learn some Spanish before I leave. Would you recommend a tour?
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I am seeing that the weather will be in the 50's in February.... is that correct? It will seem like almost Spring.