Reload this Page >

Spain in 12 days-where to splurge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Lily

Hi, <BR>First trip to Spain, planning for November or December. Would like to stay in Madrid in a few days then rent a car and drive to Barcelona with stops on the way. Is this impossible to do in 12 days? If no, can anyone recommend a route or must-see stops? Also, we'll be traveling on a budget, but would love to pick a few places to splurge. Any recommendations?

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Art

I just returned from 10 days in Spain last month. We covered a lot of territory as follows. <BR>Took overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid. Spent 2 days there including a day trip to Avilla and Segovia (highly recommend it). Took the AVE train to Sevilli, spent 1 1/2 days there. Picked up a car and drove down to Cadaz ending up in Algecera. From Algecera took a day trip to Morocco. Visited Gibralter the next day and drove on to Granada. Visited the Alhambra and drove on to Barcelona for the last 2 days. It was a great trip, but faster than I normally travel. My sister was with me and she had never been out of New England and wanted to see as much as possible. Did really enjoy it. Any other questions e-mail me. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Pedro

I´m from Seville. I think some interesting places on your way north from Madrid to Barcelona could be Zaragoza, Monasterio de Piedra waterfalls (highly recommended), Sigüenza, Cuenca (highly recommended), Albarracín (highly recommended), etc

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 04:39 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Art, <BR> <BR>Can you tell me a little bit about Morocco, and your experiences traveling to there from Spain - which city did you visit, did you wish you had spent more time there, etc. <BR> <BR>I am thinking about Morocco in January, and am not sure if I want to just go there, or go to Spain and include a ferry trip to Morocco. <BR> <BR>any recommendations? I would be a single woman, early thirties, traveling alone. I do not speak Spanish but I do speak/read French. <BR> <BR>do you mind if I email you privately? <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:12 AM
Art

Hi Beth, just a minute before I go into a meeting. Yes you may e-mail me directly. Will try to give you a more lenthly answer/recommendation. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Lily

Thanks for the suggestions! I will certainly look into these!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 11:29 PM
wein

hi lily, i just came back from 2wk spain holiday.sad to say i didn't enjoy madrid.it doesn't stand out compared to other cities. i suggest barcelona then a car trip around the andalusian hilltowns taking in ronda,granada and some smaller towns.stay at the paradors which are luxury govt run hotels!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Lily B

Oh dear! We just bought our tickets to fly in and out of Madrid!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 11:50 PM
leah

Hi! I live and work in Madrid and it is a great city. I have entertained many visitors here and they have really enjoyed the city. The museums are first class and the Prado is a must see on any trip to Spain. The restaurants and night life are incredible and the open culture here makes a weekend in the city a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Plus, if you are traveling with dolllars these days, the shopping and dining are incredible bargains and Madrid has wonderful stores for clothing , leather, shoes, ceramics, etc. Also worth doing are day trips from the city to Toledo, Salamanca or Segovia. Beautiful cities all. If you have any other doubts, feel free to email me directly.