Spain Hotel Question

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Hotel Question

I'm taking my wife on a surprise trip for our anniversary, and want a really high-end romantic hotel. It looks like the Westin Palace and the Ritz are two of the best. Anyone out there have a suggestion? Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM

What a wonderful husband! I have
never stayed in either, but both have
stellar reputations. Ritz used to be
so la-di-da that American actors/actress weren't allowed to stay because their morals were questionable.
Westin Palace seems more accepting but still top of the line...although I have read that some rooms haven't been renovated in years. If you choose
the Ritz, go to the Palace to see the
stained glass ceiling in the lobby/bar.
If you stay in the Palace, try tea at the Ritz. Another choice is: Hotel Villa Real opposite the Palace. Check comments in Trip Advisor for people with
real experience there.

Otherwise, what a dreamy anniversary surprise!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Hi PH,

I have stayed at the Ritz in Madrid and while it is certainly high-end, I wouldn't say it is romantic. It is very old-world, has a nice terrace overlooking the garden, and is well located (close to the Prado).

Hope this helps.

Ginny
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Well, I keep thinking my husband was going to surprise me in a similar fashion, but I am so used to being the
researcher for the family, I guess it
won't happen.

BUT I researched Trip Advisor. Hard to
evaluate all the people who are upset
with noisy streets. I guess they are not going to like Spain.

Another thought about liking the Ritz, Palace, etc. I think if you're the kind
who fits into the preppy/old world mode of both, you and your wife will like it a lot. If you're the independent-minded American who wears shorts, white socks, sports shoes, the world be damned, well, I do think the staff at either can make you feel like you made the wrong choice. (I inferred this from
addresses, comments that I skimmed plus
more than passing knowledge of the Spanish.)

I really liked one comment made by a woman about the Ritz. She said it was so classy because she spoke in her limited Spanish and the staff answered in Spanish. That's classy. Her husband
addressed staff in English, and they
responded in return with English. If only all hotel staff could/would follow that simple rule.

Also, looks like Villa Real is worth a look.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM

If I were you I would carefully read all the reviews of both of these hotels which have been posted on TripAdvisor before I made any final decisions.

Keeping certain "types" of people out of a hotel has more to do with management's image issues rather than the quality of service delivered once you get inside.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM

hotel santo mauro is a gem.
www.hotelsantomauro.com
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I was going to suggest Villa Real, but I know it isn't as "famous" or as "Ritzy" as the other two you mention. On the other hand, we stayed there and it would be my first choice again. We had only a standard room and it was on two levels with a sunken living area with leather furniture. I would think the larger rooms and suites are fantastic. I prefer the Villa Real to the huge five stars which are just "too-too" for my basic comfort. The staff is fantastic and polished. Although I'm planning on a week in a Madrid apartment next May/June, I'm almost tempted to stay at the Villa Real instead -- I liked it so much.