Spain - Bombings - Should we still go?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:36 AM
Ellen

Spain - Bombings - Should we still go?

Okay, I live in NYC and consider myself to be a fairly rational person. However, I am now really starting to worry about my trip to Spain next week. I am still a bit of a basket case since 9/11 (loud noises, flashes of light, minor crowd panic, and a little insomnia). Prior to 9/11, I wouldn't think twice about this, but 2 car bombings in Andalucia. 1 was in Marbella, right next to where we will be staying. We depart one week from today. Everyone around me is trying to scare me out of this trip! So, I ask the knowledgeable Fodorites for their 2 cents & calming common sense:

1. Does anyone believe that the bombings will stop once the summit ends on Saturday?

2. Are they really looking to kidnap American tourists?

3. Should I perhaps rethink the Andalusia portion of the trip and head north to San Sebastian instead?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Jackie

Hello,
Last year the first day of our vacation was on Sept.22. Many people tried to talk us out of going to Europe. We didnt listen. There is no way I was going to let the terrorist ruin my vacation I worked and saved for. I say go, have a wonderful time and have faith that your angel will be watching over you.
Jackie

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:55 AM
hmh

Ellen, nobody is looking to kidnap tourists – not Americans or anybody else. Where have you got that idea???

And do you seriously consider San Sebastian in the center of the Basque country somehow more safe than Andalucia? Car bombs in San Sebastian far outnumber the ones in Andalucia. And those have nothing to do with Americans, but everything to do with Basques.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:03 AM
mark

Being a NYer myself - I'm more concerned about bombs in NYC. Security at Penn Station and the bridges is minimum - barely a cop at Penn and cops waving cars and trucks through - it's unnerving. The one thing I would say is - and not to sound cavalier - lighting doesn't strike twice in the same place. There are no gaurantees. It sounds as if you'll be moving around a fair amount which works in your favor. Also the bombers call in a warning. I say go and just keep your NYC smarts about you.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:05 AM
Kidtfox

Ellen,

I too am heading to Spain next week...what a co inkidinky! I too also live in NYC, and just blocks from...what was WTC...so I understand you reservations.

Basically, as "Hmh" said... You have nothing to worry about, other that crafty pickpockets on the ground...and with this Air traffic strike...drizzling over and delay your fight to Espana. I'm all psyched..and so should you...getting away from NY is a relief I need...

Regards,

Kid.

PS: You're a Nu Yawker for Christ sake...c'mon fo'rgetaboutit..what a little car bombs to a NYC resident.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Ellen

Sorry, the kidnappings were threatened in Morocco. We had planned on a day trip with a private guide recommended by Rick Steves. Also, something about a headless body--I told you they are trying to freak me out. I guess I am just a bit jumpy these days. I am also not really up on the Basque/Spain situation (I know I should be) so I am not sure where this is coming from and what is realistic to expect as far as more attacks.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jean Valjean

I would not worry, go to Spain, and have a great time.

You will not be the target of a bombing, and if by any chance you happen to be close it would be just plain bad luck.

I agree that, in theory, the Basque country should be a lot more "dangerous" (if the term even applies) than Andalucia. I mean, ETA operates out of the Basque country.

I would not think twice about going. By all means, go!

Enjoy Spain!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Kidtfox

Ahhhh....

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:16 AM
Bedi

Hi, Ellen-
I can definitely understand your concerns. As an added precaution, you could check out the State Department's web site which features travel alerts for any country they consider as risky for Americans to visit. I think the web address is www.travel.state.gov
I'm sure you'll be fine. I plan to visit Spain in August and I'm crossing my fingers that things will settle down by then. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM
EP

Ellen, the Basque separatist organization ETA has placed car bombs for at least ten years (maybe longer, they have done that as long as I can remember). Obviously those are not broadcast in US news but they are in Europe. All Europeans see in their TV´s when a bomb has exploaded but that does not stop them from going to Spain. Or to England. Or Ireland. There are millions of tourists all the time, and there are package tours also to Basque country (combination tour Bilbao/San Sebastian and Biarriz in France). Thousand times more likely that you will get hit by a car than a bomb.

And nobody has heard of a headless body in Morocco. Marocco is not dangerous, and you will even have a local guide! Stop worrying!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:37 AM
melissa

Hey Ellen - I'm also flying to Andalucia next week and as a fellow New Yorker, 9/11 has made me a little more nervous than ususal about travelling. However, I still think I'm going to feel safer in Spain than I do each time I cross the Brooklyn Bridge. If fear were to completely rule our lives, we were to we would have fled to the midwest by now! ENJOY YOUR TRIP and if we happen to meet on the beach I will buy you a pitcher of Sangria!!!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Ellen

Thanks Melissa! I never really wanted to cancel, I am just more on edge about travel these days. A few weeks ago we went to DC from NYC via AMTRAK. NO security whatsoever. Amazing. Anyway, will be in Barcelona first. Should get to Estepona on July 3rd. When will you be there? We are staying at Las Dunas. Would love to do a pitcher of Sangria with a Fodorite!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:58 AM
Jessica

Ellen, the basque separatists were just trying to make an impression at the EU Summit. I would not worry too much about it and instead focus on having a lovely vacation. Have a pitcher of sangria or rioja wine and relax to the exotic melodies of Spain.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 01:58 AM
Bethany

Just go and enjoy yourselves!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
wendy

Americans are never target by the ETAs. And yes, San Sesbastian is in the Basque County which is where the ETA is operated from. I would say GO and have fun. Like someone said earlier, if you by chance happen to be close, you are just in plain bad luck.

The ETA usually phones in the authorities and give them enough time to evacuate the area. So just don't cross any police line!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Jose

Well:

Most of the posters are right about this.

I just want to say one thing: ETA's members are not separatists, they are TERRORIST as ben Laden is. If you want the independence you do not need to kill people (who was Ghandi?).
Never say they are separatists within Spain. It is ofensive, specially when they have killed near 1,000 people.

Thanks to all of you, specially those who are coming to my country.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:48 AM
NO DON'T GO THERE

choose another nearby destination like Southern Italy or Algarve or even the Balearics. There are too many problems in continental Spain.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
xxx

I too am concerned about safety in Europe. Not about any particular destination, but there seems to be violence wherever these summits are held. How far in advance are the summits planned? The G8 for example. And now anything to do with Immigration. Anyone know of a good source listing upcoming meetings? Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
European

Such paranoia... Why on earth you are worried now when you have not been worried during last thirty years? And if somebody demostrated agains globalization while there is a summit on, what does it have to do with your (xxx´s) safety? Just don´t join the demonstrators. Jesus, not everything in this world happens because of YOU or against YOU.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
JOSE

you wrote: DON'T GO SPAIN, TRY TO ITALY OR NEARBY AREAS, THERE ARE A LOT OF PROBLEMS IN CONTINENTAL SPAIN.

OH! MY GOD! Which is your travel agency you are working for?
I'm Spanish and I live in Barcelona, and read things like this only makes me laugh!
Just to reply : I remember you SPAIN is the second country in the world more visited (1st. FRANCE 2nd SPAIN 3st. USA).
Do you think if we had many problems we had more than 50 milions tourist per year? (think about that) and sorry for my english.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -