Spain and Portugal

Search

Spain and Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain and Portugal

Wwe would like to visit Spain and Portugal in October for 14-16 days.

We would like to include Madrid(starting point), Toledo, Seville and Barcelona
(we've been to Costa Del Sol and Granada.) In Portugal we'd like to see the Algrave
and Lisbon, flying home from Lisbon. Is this too ambitious? Should we fly to Barcelona
or train it? What about getting to Lisbon from Barcelona.? We will rent a car to see some of the cities. We are a middle age couple . (We've looked at tours but none cover all we want to see).
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Have you though about someone putting together a custom package for you? It may help.

But no, if you plan it right, you can visit Madrid (Toledo), Sevilla and Barcelona before heading off to Lisbon for the final days of your trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Hi

I would look at flying. Check out Vueling Air - http://www.vueling.com. Has flights for Madrid - Barcelona, Barcelona - Lisbon etc.

Toledo is an easy day trip from Madrid (check out the AVE high speed train) or a bus for a more convenient drop off -http://www.mat.ucm.es/~ln06/imtoledo/travel.html. An overnight stay is highly recommended to experience it without the day trippers.

There is an AVE from Madrid to Seville. Check train schedules on - www.renfe.es
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM

Barcelona is out on a limb so maybe drop it off your itinerary this trip.You may find it very empty on the Algave during Oct.
If flying low cost airlines then check the baggage allowance carefully.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM

There is an overnight train which departs from Lisbon to Madrid. The train departs Lisbon around 10:30PM and arrives Madrid around 8:AM. Try to reserve a first class cabin. We enjoyed our night-train to Madrid very much. Having our breakfast in the dining car while nearing the Madrid Station was a very pleasant way to arrive into the beautiful city of Madrid.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM

Hi there,

I think your trip can be managed within 16 days but you will have to book your flights and have your whole trip all orgainsed before you leave I think.

Barcelona really throws your trip but you can still include and think you should if you have never been. But I would recommend:
4 days in Madrid including 1 day trip to Toledo.
Then a flight to Barcelona and spend another 4 days there. Vueling will be your best option for this flight.
Then you will need to get another flight to Seville and I would only recommend 2 or 3 days there.
From Seville it's very easy to get a bus to Algarve and not expensive either. However, not many people speak english there so I make sure you touch up on the basics of Spanish. Also, as mentioned previoulsy there will not be that many people in Algrave during October so I would only spend 2 days there.

And then of course you can get a train to lisbon or a flight but flights can be quite expenisve within Portugal. Then that will leave you with 3 or 4 days in Lisbon which, is a city I personally love and think you can spend a lot of time there.

However, if you eliminate Barcelona from your trip it will be a lot easier to get around, in fact you probably wouldn't have to get a flight. Also it gives you a lot more time to stay in the cities you really enjoy and do more day trips if you fancy.

Anyway have a great trip.

OHcharlotte

(OH-holidays)