Reload this Page >

Spain & Portugal

Search

Spain & Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 09:06 AM
Ben Chelini

Spain & Portugal

We will be spending 18 days in Spain & Portugal next Oct. We will have our own car.What are the must see cities and sights. Should we plan to stay in the Parradores at various stopping points. We would like to stay at least three days at every stopping point and investigate the surrounding area by car. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 11:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ben, Assuming into Lisbon and out of <BR>Madrid--or the reverse--let me suggest <BR>this itinerary. It would take an hour to <BR>fill in the gaps and the highlights. <BR>Contact me direct if you want details. <BR> <BR>Lisbon/Cascais/Sintra/Obidos <BR> <BR>Estromoz/Evora/Marvao/Elvas <BR> <BR>Lagos/Sagres/Algarve <BR> <BR>Seville/Ronda/Arcos <BR> <BR>Nerja/Granada <BR> <BR>Cordoba/Toledo <BR> <BR>Madrid/ Segovia <BR> <BR>You can stay at Pousadas at Estromoz and <BR>Sagres and Paradors at Ronda and Toledo. <BR>This is about it for 18 days. There are <BR>variations on a theme, but this isa nice <BR>driving itinerary that will not stress. <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 02:30 PM
bo_jack

Obviously, it all dependends on your interest -- but after two vacation trips to Spain in the last two years (2 weeks each), with one venturing into Portugal, I would recommend that you not worry much about "must sees". Typically I do try to see them, and my wife is now threatening to trash my guide books. Spain and Southern Portugal are very pleasant, virtually any where that we have been; and we now have seen most of the western half. We do not much enjoy really large cities -- so have spent only a few days in Madrid and none in Lisbon. We did enjoy Cordoba and Toledo very much. Enjoyed the Alhambra -- but saw little other attraction to Granada. Cities and towns which we enjoyed very much -- but which are on no one's "must see" list are Cadiz, Zafra, Baiona and Guadajahara. We also enjoyed Gibraltar -- though it is bad-mouthed by many as dirty and conjested. It is -- but it is also unique and, to us, interesting. I do not have a clue as to what the attraction of Sintra is. It is a pleasant enough setting, but even in November, it was overrun with tour groups -- many American. I asked at least 5 individual American tourist what is the attraction of Sintra. Not a single one could tell me -- nor did I see anything that would justify the crowds. With regard to the Paradors -- we have stayed in at least 8 different ones and have dined in a few others. We have not been disappointed. However, we have not been disappointed in other -- equivalently priced -- hotels in Spain either. Generally, the Paradors are a good deal -- equivalent to 4-star hotels. You tend to see relatively few American tourist in any but the really well know ones; but they are used and enjoyed by many German, British and Spanish vacationers.

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 04:40 PM
Steve Baumgartner

We spent 5 days in Seville and Madrid as part of a 3 week european trip this last spring. We found Seville to be a very relaxing city. The weather was great and many great outside cafes. The must see in Seville is the cathedral (largest by volume in europe). Other good sites are the bullfights, flamenco dances, and the site of the world fair. We only spent 1.5 days in Madrid, primarily to see the art museums (prado, reina-sofia, and thyssen). The prado is a major gallery with some very good collections.

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Monica Richards

Our itinerary for our three week trip to Spain and Portugal in September was Lisbon/Sintra, Marvao, Cordoba, Granada, Arcos, Seville, Evora (Portugal), Lisbon and home. I thought our trip was well planned out. Definitely have lunch (the big meal of the day) in a Parador at least once--great food, great service, and a great price (when we got our credit card bill upon our return, one outstanding, all-out meal was $59.00 for two people!! Try doing that in the US!). You can read all about our trip with links to the places we recommend at www.markandmonica.com/travel/iberia.htm.

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Rex

Ben, <BR> <BR>Bob has given you a great "big picture" answer - - I'll add in a few personal perspectves of places that linger on my "must go back and see one more time" list! <BR> <BR>In Lisbon, a bullfight - - the pageantry (and especially love of fine horsemanship) is very much the thing (true for Spain as well), but in contrast to Spain, Portuguese bullfighting is bloodless and "death"less by design (well, in theory, there could be a fatal accidental injury - - there's certainly still a sense of danger and man against animal). <BR> <BR>Windsurfers on Guincho beach - - watch 'em or become one of 'em <BR> <BR>Ronda. Period. Yes, yes, yes. For just an hour, or for overnight in the Parador. <BR> <BR>In Granada - - well, obviously, the Alhambra, and once again the Parador (perhaps the crown jewel in the Parador collection) is your chance to stay right on the grounds of the Alhambra. Or for a funky alternative, stay in a cave in Granada - - see http://granadainfo.com/abanico/english.htm - - some of the advantages of a rental apartment without the requirement of a week's stay. <BR> <BR>In Sevilla, whether you're a high roller or not, besure to step inside the Hotel Alfonso XIII - - and if you can afford it, stay there! <BR> <BR>You sound like you have a great trip in mind - - this kind of itinerary can make for a great small group undertaking, and provide for some substantial savings - - please feel free to write me if you are have any such interest! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex