SPAIN - AN UPDATE ON TRIP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Lorraine Mesterhazi

Mr. Cameron:

What a terrible experience for you and your wife.
I don't mean to dwell on it, but since it was on a
public street in daylight, were there others around
to help you? Also, did you report it to the
authorities and if so, how did they handle it?

I have never been to Madrid, but my husband and
I are planning to visit Barcelona. We hope this
isn't a normal occurence. Guess one can never
be too careful where ever we travel. Glad to hear
that this did not completely ruin your vacation.

Old Jan 8th, 1998, 02:18 PM
joseph cameron

Ms. Mesterhazi: Thanks for your concern. We did fill out a report with the police, but not surprisingly, nothing occurred. There were other people nearby, screaming, but the knives discouraged others from getting involved. It was all over in 30-40 seconds, they ran off, and we departed (quickly). Some advice: leave your handbag and you husband's wallet in your room safe - carry nothing that will attract. Our camera was the attraction, and they took it, and failing to find my wallet, they departed. But with knives you just never know what people will do. Stay on travelled streets, near others, especially at night. Know where you're going - avoiding standing around reading a guidebook or map. These are obvious things to do, but I really believe in them now that we have been robbed. It happened our second day, so we really did have to have a talk with ourselves so we wouldn't let the trip be spoiled. Go and have fun - I know we'd go back to Madrid in a minute - it's just that we'll take more precautions next time. These things happen - but the odds are in your favor they won't. Good luck, and have a wonderful trip. We loved Spain, and plan to return.

Old Jan 9th, 1998, 05:55 AM
Peggy

Mr. Cameron: I will be going to Madrid and Barcelona in a month and am having some real concerns after hearing your story. I'm planning my hotel reservations now and am looking into various hotels. Where would you recommend as a safe place/neighborhood to stay? I'm looking into the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in downtown Madrid. Do you know if that's a good/okay area to stay? If not, can you recommend something?

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 04:59 PM
Pascale

Glad to "see" that you are still travelers at heart! I am planning a trip to Portugal and Spain(Madrid) I plan to be in Madrid for a week(alone). Being a young woman, your story made me "jump right out of my seat". I had heard about the notorious pickpockets BUT when you "hear" it from people's own accounts it really brings the point home. What would you suggest for someone who wants to go to Madrid (anyway)? What are the sites/places that you would consider to be a must and I would appreciate any other comments you may have.

Thank you.

Old Mar 20th, 1998, 07:22 PM
Betty A. Irby

We're planning a cruise from Barcelona and are staying
at the Barcelona Hilton the night before. We are also
planning to stay at the Hilton for a few days upon
return. Does anyone have any experience with the
Barcelona Hilton and is it within reasonable proximity
to the cruise ships?

Old Mar 20th, 1998, 07:23 PM
Betty A. Irby

We're planning a cruise from Barcelona and are staying
at the Barcelona Hilton the night before. We are also
planning to stay at the Hilton for a few days upon
return. Does anyone have any experience with the
Barcelona Hilton and is it within reasonable proximity
to the cruise ships?

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 06:49 PM
Laura

I was in Madrid in 1996 with my fourteen year old daughter and I would go back again. I loved Spain. However, Madrid is the only city in Europe that I have visited where I felt somewhat uncomfortable about safety. I stayed in a nice hotel, but a man was hanging around and watching me. The first time I noticed him, he seemed to be listening to my conversation with a fellow traveler in the hotel lobby. I addressed a question to him and he told me that he din't speak English, but I am sure that he did and that he was listening to my conversation. I saw him hanging around outside of the hotel also. I should have inquired about him at the desk, but by the time I decided to do that he was gone. I didn't sleep very well. Also in Cordoba I was warned about purse snatchers on moterscooters and in Seville there are many gypsies around tourist sites and tour companied warn travelers not to talk to them and not to take anything offered by the gypsies.