Southwest or Western Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-- I have only two-two 1/2 days in Ireland and will be coming from London. I am not looking for attractions galore, but just beautiful scenary and a distinctly Irish experience. We are planning on just biking and walking around a lot. Where would you suggest we go for that sort of experience? We have heard Cork over and over again, but I am also tempted by Western Ireland. Ireland gurus what's your suggestion??? Keep in mind of course coming from London and for only two days. OH- and the "We" is my self and my sister. Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:44 AM

Where are you landing or is that part of the decision you have to make?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Western Ireland, without a doubt. Last summer I did 9 days in Ireland, starting in Dublin and first doing the southwest before heading to the west coast. Until I got to the West coast I kept asking myself what was so great about Ireland. I mean, it was nice enough, nothing wrong with it, but not at all what I had hoped for. Once I got to the West coast (Beara Peninsula, Dingle, etc) I realized why everyone loves Ireland. The west coast is what people go to Ireland for. Definitly go there if you only have a few days.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Ardfert

Actually the Beara Peninsula and Dingle would generally be regarded as south or south-west Ireland.Anything north of the mouth of the Shannon on the west coast would be west-especially Clare,Galway,Mayo.Then Donegal would be west or north west depending on your point of view.County Kerry which includes Beara (part of),Kenmare,Ring of Kerry,Killarney,Tralee and Dingle would be the main tourist area of Ireland outside of Dublin.I managed to drive from Killarney to Dublin in four hours on a recent Sunday evening because Limerick city and Kildare town are now bypassed by new roads.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:26 AM

mayall,

Given your limited time in Eire, I would recommend that you make a beeline for the Dingle Peninsula.

While heavily touristed, the Dingle Peninsula remains a must-see on any Irish itinerary. The landscape of the peninsula is spectacular, unforgettable. It's a joy to cycle about Slea Head for a day, and then on another day take the ferry out to the Great Blasket Island for a most atmospheric hike, featuring splendid views looking back at the Irish mainland.

Before heading west, make a point of praying to the weather gods for clear skies, and pop-on the DVD of David Lean's epic soap opera, Ryan's Daughter, featuring Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard, and, best of all, the magnificent scenery of the Dingle Peninsula. What a marvelous way to preview your upcoming holidays in Ireland.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

thank you!! so very helpful.