Reload this Page >

Southwest France?

Search

Southwest France?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Rose

Southwest France?

Would appreciate any info - good places to see, restaurants in which to eat - in Southwestern France. Our home base will be near Luzech, a tiny town close to Cahors. <BR>Info anyone?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:21 PM
babycakes

We were a little farther north than you(near Sarlat), so you will probably not be as much in the same places, but one of our favorite meals for the whole trip was in Domme at L'Esplanade(1 Michelin star). Wonderful view of the valley and food from heaven!!! The bastide towns are wonderful and the markets quite a treat. We loved Rocamadour, Castelnaud, Beynac, Monpazier,....they are all wonderful!! Enjoy your trip!! I'll bet you will be quacking by the time you get home!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Betty

A group of us rented a house near Cahors (in Aujols to SE, even tinier than Luzech) in 1996. Things to see in the area: Chateau de Bonaguil, W of Luzech;to the E of Cahors, the Grotte du Pech-Merle at Cabrerets (fantastic cave paintings), St.Cirq-Lapopie (medieval town built on a rock above the river). N of there, Rocamadour (similar to St Cirq, but even more impressive) and the Gouffre de Padirac (underground lake, cavern - only if you're not claustropobic). Back to the W.(north of Cahors)in the valley of the Dordogne: Sarlat (well-preserved medieval town),La Roque-Gageac (pretty town where you can rent boats to row on the Dordogne), Chateau de Beynac and across the river, Chateau de Milandes (belonged to Josephine Baker at one time). To the NW Les Eyzies (more cave paintings at Font-de Gaume) and a bit further N., Lascaux (at Montignac, but here you can only visit a replica, though very well done, of the cave and paintings. The original was closed to the public many years ago because of damage to the paintings caused by all the CO2 being breathed on them!) I'm sure others will have more recommendations, but these are some of the highlights of the area. <BR>As for restaurants I can't help much. Since we were renting we ate most of our meals at home or picnicked. I do remember a couple of places that were good, but not, unfortunately their names. One was on the route that runs on the north side of the Lot, I think around St. Gery. It would be on your right going east, with a stream behind it (the Lot?) Seems the name had something to do with fish. (La Truite...?) The other is a hotel-restaurant right beside the road (D703, I think)just below the castle at Beynac. I stayed there several years ago and ate there in '96. Wonderful food! If you find either of those places, please post their names when you get back! Hope all this helps and bon voyage!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Betty

I just found the name of that hotel in Beynac - it's the Hotel Bonnet, well worth a stop. And I also meant to mention, don't miss market day in Cahors. I think it's Saturday, but not sure. Anything and everything for sale and a wonderful spectacle to boot.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Luis

Rose: <BR> <BR>If you are going to be near Cahors..you must eat at CLAUDE MARCO which is located in the hamlet of Lamagdaleine, about 6 miles north of Cahors via the D653. The dining room is a lovely golden stone vaulted cave, and the food is among the finest I've ever eaten in France. Also, from Cahors/Luzech, you can head about 25 miles north to Figeac, a lovely medieval town with markets and rambling streets. I would eat at CUISINE DU MARCHE. wonderful food and very accomodating staff.. <BR> <BR>Regards../ <BR> <BR>Luis

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 04:17 AM
wendy

Also, don't miss the Hotel Terminus Restaurant in Cahors! One of the best meals I've ever had in my life!