Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines charging double fare to overweight passengers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:06 AM
Barb

I just learned that Southwest Airlines will be charging double fare to those passengers that require a seat belt extension. This is due to the high demand for seats combined with the high percentage (90%) customer service complaints come from passengers who feel their (paid for) space is improperly invaded by obese passengers.<BR><BR>Any idea if overseas flights will be next?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:22 AM
Anon

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that super fatties should buy two seats. The good news is that they get two meals.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ted

It's about time.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:44 AM
swac

WELCOME ABOARD SOUTHWEST CARGO AIRLINES. WE ASK TO ALL OUR FAT AMERICAN PASSENGERS TO BUCKLE THE SEAT BELT AND ENJOY THE FLY. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE USE OF CELL PHONES AND OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES IS FORBIDDEN. ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR FLYING SOUTHWEST CARGO.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
susan

Actually, Anon - the funny thing is that they DON"T get two meals.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
dj

Since when does SW fly to Europe?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
xxxx

I flew 9 hours without leaving my seat out of consideration for the obese passenger next to me, who I had witnessed attempting, unsuccessfully, to get out of her seat about three times. Her tray table didn't open flat either so she used mine. She was the sweetest lady seat companion I ever had, but truth to be told, the seat arrangement we endured was unfair to both of us. Southwest's new policy is fair.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:41 PM
flyer

Good for them. I hate it when people spill over into my seat during a long flight( especially the fat ones).

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Dale Schrage

I agree with Southwest's policy. This is NOT disrimination. The airlines are selling space.<BR><BR>I fly a lot and get damned tired of having someone overflow into my space. <BR><BR>I would also vote for mandatory showers or denied boarding from those passengers that smell. Twelve hours between Dallas and Paris sitting next to a person who hasn't had a shower in a week can be very unpleasant.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Kelley

How about charging extra for those males (most of them) who always hog the arm rests???

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Lina

Being fat is an eating disorder and a disability. It's time fat people were treated as such.My brother is a quadriplegic who must travel with a 350 lb. wheelchair, a body lift and a ventilator, all of which the airlines transport without charge. In order to not discriminate for their disability, fat people should be given the room they need and charged as one human being, which they are. We would all then, be comfortable.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Lisa N

Lina being overweight is a CHOICE....<BR>I know because over the last year I have lost 100 pounds. I feel better and I KNOW that it is far healthier. Being overweight is not fun and I will be damned to act like a "victim". Now I am slim and healthy. I also like the prospect that my odds of living longer have been increased.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:06 AM
jake

Dale,<BR>Yes! Mandatory showers are a fabulous idea! My friend had a horrendous experience flying back from Eastern Europe to the Uk. A man on board had- I kid you not- crap all down his leg and the smell was unbelievable! The usually stingy airline even conceded that it was sooo bad for the passengers nearest to him that they should be moved to first class!<BR>Maybe airlines should disinfect some of the scummiest passengers too!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Lysol

I took microbiology when I was in nursing school. For fun some friends and I decided to swab various places and see what developed. I chose the seat on an airplane. Needless to say that there were a lot of fecal cells. Enough said. <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Art

Lina, yes there are some people that health problems, but many if not most are fat by choice. I have seen people go into a restaurant that could barely fit into a wide chair and would order enough food for 4 people. I used to be overweight and finally decided to do something about it and lost the 80 lbs and have kept them off for over 10 years.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Fat Bastard

Ah I used to be wee laddy, but then I learned how to eat and turned into the giant movie star I am today, the famous Fat Bastard! I can afford to book the whole damn plane now so I don't care what you think, and sometimes I might have crap running out of my kilt!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Wanda

Author: Lisa N ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/15/2002, 02:05 pm<BR><BR>Message: Lina being overweight is a CHOICE....<BR>I know because over the last year I have lost 100 pounds. I feel better and I KNOW that it is far healthier. Being overweight is not fun and I will be damned to act like a "victim". Now I am slim and healthy. I also like the prospect that my odds of living longer have been increased. <BR><BR>=========================<BR><BR>Lisa,<BR> <BR>You still weigh more than my two three year old twins COMBINED! And together, they pay twice as much you, one adult. Where is the fairness in that?<BR><BR>Those who admire charging extra for bigger pasengers need to lobby for charging LESS to littler passengers. So the airlines can give a fair chance to families with young children.<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Get

We should lobby to give vasectomies to all these people who have the need to procreate little Mini Mes and then expect the rest of the world to pay for it.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:13 AM
whosefat

Suppose fatso brings his own seat belt extension?<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:17 AM
nuts

Why don't they charge double for those who choose to let their seatbacks down?<BR>Doesn't that infringe on the person behind's paid for space?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -