Southern Spain Itinerary

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:10 AM
JP

Southern Spain Itinerary

Hi all.

We are planning to spend 10 days in the south of spain in mid Sept. I just want to confirm that we aren't setting ourselves up for a whirlwind tour that becomes a blur of events. It will be 4 adults [2 couples].

Tell me what you think of this. The hotels I list are not confirmed but are recommendations. If you have any other ideas please post away .

We are looking for hotels that are around $40 - $70 CDN per person/night. We'd like to be walking distance to the centre of town, if not right in it. and we don't mind local hotels or kitchenette units. [ie. we don't need ritzy]. We will probably take day trips so we may see more towns but these are the ones we intend to stay overnight in.

here goes....

fly in and out of Malaga
Ronda - Juan Carlos
Nerja - Marisel on the Balcon de Europa
Seville - Hotel Simon
Granada - ??? no hotel yet

Also, what is the best way to get around? we don't want to confirm too many of our plans so we were thinking of renting a car...what do you think? I have heard the buses are better than the trains [i found the trains in spain a bit of a bother the last time i was there].

thanks
JP

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Pedro

This would be doable but it depends on what your timing is:

-Malaga - Ronda ( 1 night, next day you would pass through some beautiful white villages as Zahara or Arcos ) - Cadiz ( 2 nights, short trip to Jerez to see the wineries, the cathedral area and the horse show ) - Sevilla ( 4 nights, one might be a day trip to Cordoba/Medina Azahara/Carmona )- Granada ( 2 nights ) -Nerja ( 1 night )- Malaga again.

I think this trip would be absolutely nice and specially because you still could have a swim without the crowds of August after sightseeing for example in Cadiz or Nerja. Cities recover usually from their sleepy August period, as well.

Hotel Simon has an excellent situation in the city centre but you should check out before if they are not under renovation works.

If you really want to enjoy the countryside, the white towns and small places as Ronda, Carmona, Medina Azahara or Nerja I would suggest you to rent a car and drive by yourselves. You might want to leave the car parked for a couple of days in Sevilla but after that it is always easier for carrying the luggage, instead of bus, transfers and taxis. And specially to reach those places mentioned before,not specially well linked as the big cities and whose bus or train schedules you would have to study thoroughly if you do not want to spend the most part of your valuable time on it and it sounds that you want a little bit of freedom for this trip. This is one of the best periods to visit Andalucia and whatever you finally do I am sure you will have a good time!!!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Sarah

Hi,

We did a 10 day trip through southern Spain at Easter this year -- we covered quite a bit more ground than you suggest (driving). WE went Madrid-Baeza-Granada (2 nights)-Ronda-Arcos-Sevilla (2 nights) - Salamanca - Toledo - Madrid. It was a busy trip with a lot of driving, but we thoroughly enjoyed it and did not feel at all rushed. Car rental was great for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the scenic driving (though Hertz has been completely out of cars on 2 of our trips to Spain -- National was more reliable) -- but be warned that driving in some of the larger cities is a nightmare (traffic and directions). We stayed in smaller towns and it was fine. The one trouble we did have was finding available accommodation, even in advance... so we ended up paying more like $50-100 US. But you shouldn't have the same problem, since we were traveling at Easter.

Hope this helps!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:39 PM
jp

Thank you both so much!!!
your posts are very very helpful. most of us were leaning toward renting a car and i think you've just helped us make our decision

Pedro, I will look up all the smaller towns metioned in our books at home. and you're absolutely right about the car being easier with bags etc.

Sarah, thanks for the info on the hotels. We're a little worried with only 2 months to book but if we have to go over budget in some places i'm sure we'll come in under budget in others.

I cannot wait! i absolutely love spain!!

thank you so much again.
JP

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Larry

Don't miss Ronda. You can get a day trip from Paco Olmedo Tours near Malaga at a resort town just west of Malaga called Benalmaldena. Just search the internet for Olmedo Tours. They also rent cars reasonably. Ronda was one of the highlights of my last tour. It is the location of the oldest bull ring in Spain, a nice little village.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Katie

JP, I am doing a very similar vacation in mid October, right down to the hotels (Simon in Seville and Marisal in Nerja)! If you remember when you return, i would love to hear what you thought of those 2 hotels. ALso, can anyone suggest a hotel in Granada for that price range? Best,
Kate

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Pedro

I would suggest you three small hotels not expensive at all:

-Hotel Carmen de Sta Ines 12.000 pts/room

-Hotel Palacio de Sta Ines 12.000/room

Both down in the city centre

-Hotel America 15.000/room

Situated close to the Alhambra

For further details and reservation you might want to search by their name in Google or Yahoo.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:20 PM
JP

Hey Katie,
you BET!! I'll be sure to post and hopefully have some pictures for you. I've written down everything everyone has said here - Thanks to Pedro again for the hotels

I'll email you right now so we keep in touch.

Thanks again everyone. My friends will think I'm so organized when i give them all this info HA

JP

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Sarah

JP -- One more thought: we actually got great vaue from a small Fodor's guide called 'Hotels of Character and Charm in Spain'. Some of the hotels listed were pretty extravagant, but others were very reasonably priced and great value. The ones from this book that we stayed in were by far the best hotels on our trip. Good luck -- and hope you like it as much as we did!

PS -- Pedro & Larry are right - Ronda and the other white towns around there are not to be missed!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:33 PM
Gillian

We were in Costa del Sol for a week in Sept 2000 & we stayed at Benalmadena. We had hired a car in Barcelona & driven down. If you have one base, it is possible to do all these trips as day trips & at least you know where you are staying at the end of each day. Our stay was not long enough & we missed Gibralter & Cadiz, but spent time in Marbella, Ronda, Granada, Torremolinos & can't wait to go back again. Will answer any questions with pleasure.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Doug

Sounds like you will stay exclusively in the Andalucian part of Spain. A great choice.

There are many wonderful and comfortable hotels for $40 to $70. We stayed at the Murillo Hotel in the Santa Crus area of Seville. Santa Cruz is a preserved area of very Spanish buildings along narrow cobble stoned walkways. The hotel is a converted mansion. Many great things to do and see within walking distance.

Also be sure to get to Granada and visit the Alhambra.

Rent a car and drive. You will miss so much if you go any other way. Visit a "white village". Montifrio was wonderful. It lies along a mountain side with its Catedral hanging atop the mountain side.

If you wish to know more of where we went and what we did, visit my site about our experience at:
www.chartermi/~ff/spain/spain.htm

Have fun. Be sure to experience the tapas and the fresh orange juice at the many tapa bars. Their coffee is great as well.