Souther Scotland Iternary

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:20 AM
shailesh

Souther Scotland Iternary

1. Can some please let give me the beautiful driving iternary in southern scotland.<BR>2. Best place to stay for Honey moon in southern scotland.<BR>Thanks a lot<BR>Shailesh

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Tony Hughes

Probably best to confirm where you are staying before deciding what roads to drive on. Southern Scotland is big; have you ever been before? Would it be west coast or east? Where you hiring a car from? Where you flying from/to and when? What time of year? What sort of budget?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Sheila

Keep up, Tony; she told you a couple of days ago...

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Tony Hughes

I dont stay glued to my computer sheila, so i must have missed it. I didnt recognise the name - my mistake.<BR><BR>Why didn't she just say in this posting,would have made things so much easier.<BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Sheila

picky, picky!<BR><BR>This is really off my patch, shailesh, but here's some stuff.<BR><BR>This is the first time you need a car since you are about an hour's drive from the Borders; lovely rolling hills and some lovely stately mansions including Abbotsford which was owned by Sir Walter Scott- whose memorial got mentioned above.<BR><BR>East Coast- North Berwick to Tantallon; stay on the coast past Dunbar and when you get to Reston take a left and go down to St Abb’s, then follow the little road round to Eyemouth. From Eyemouth go inland to Manderston just outside Duns, then stay west to Mellerstain, then south to Floors at Kelso, come west again to Dryburgh Abbey, past Melrose to Abbotsford and then Traquhair, then come north past Peebles and Neidpath Castle, and through Penicuik. <BR><BR>There's a lady called Danna who lurks in here, who will do Dumfries and Galloway for you

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Danna

shailesh... Sheila's right! I love Galloway! I'm at work, so don't have my maps etc at hand. I'll reply this weekend with the scenic driving routes etc... Southern Scotland is an overlooked treasure, IMHO... will send info soon.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Danna

Okie Dokie... maps and memories in hand... Galloway and Dumfries has 2 driving tourist routes available. The Galloway Tourist Route runs from Gretna to Ayr that heads inland through lovely country. I'm more familiar with the Solway Coast Heritage trail communities... it follows the Solway Firth Coast... highlights (that I'm familiar with) include: Dumfries (Rab Burn's country and cultural center) Castle Douglas (a bit off the route) has a great micro brewerery with tour and samples given by the owner (very small), Threave Garden is outside Castle Douglas and is a wonderful garden, we didn't go to Threave Castle ruin, but it's an option. South of Dalbeatie you follow the coast and can visit Sweetheart Abby. You follow the firth to the west on the coastal road. We stay in Kirkcudbright, we love it, be sure to have a pint at the Masonic Arms, stand by the bar and you will make friends! Send them my greetings. You can continue along the coast and there's a nice little museum in Creetown, We haven't spent time (yet) in Gatehouse on Fleet or Newton Stewart .. but they have sites to see. South to Wigtown, the booktown...amazing resource for new and used books with a whiskey distillery just a few miles south. I really recommend the Logan Garden on the west Coast, it's a Royal Botanical Garden that features plants from the southern hemisphere! If you can, try to catch the coach from Stranraer to Logan, if Duncan is working, you will have a great visit and driver. On the Rhins of Marchars you can visit Portpatrick, or go to the end of the peninsula and look over the sea to see sea creatures from the heights!... Visit Galloway, it's grand! Have a great time.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:59 AM
janis

From what I remember of shailesh's earlier thread, she has a total of 2 days for Scotland, arriving from the Lakes. <BR><BR>If that is still the case, Dumfries, Galloway and Ayrshire are about all you will have time to see - and really only a small part of those. Danna gives you really good suggestions.