Reload this Page >

South West IRELAND tips? Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:36 AM
cheryl

We are landing in Shannon. would like to do the west coast work our way to Dublin. Land September 23 leave DUBLIN SEptember 30th. Just purchased $70 worth of maps and books but feel anxious! Don't know what to make sure we DON'T miss etc... If you have some expert advice I would love to hear from you. With warm appreciation,CHERYL

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 07:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Cheryl, We will be there on week after <BR>you and have done this itinerary. It is <BR>my first trip but have done alot of <BR>homework---staying 12 days. <BR>CLIFDEN--CONNEMARA--2 NITES <BR>DOOLIN---CLIFFS OF MOHER--1 NITE <BR>DINGLE PEN.---2 NITES <BR>KINSALE--NEAR CORK---2 NITES <BR>CASHEL---1 NITE <BR>WEXFORD---1 NITE <BR>DUBLIN---2 NITES <BR> <BR>That seems to be a good circle route to <BR>hit some highlights for a first trip.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Linda

Just returned from Ireland. We did the opposite of your trip...landed in Dublin and flew back to Boston from Shannon. We had 11 wonderful days. Dublin is nice, but is busy. We enjoyed Trinity College, Christ Church Cathederal and Grafton St. for shopping and Temple Bar area for pubs. We used the bus system to get around, however Dublin is so small that you can virtually just walk. We enjoyed Killarney very much. The town was pleasant and the Muckross House and grounds was a lovely tour. We walked to Torc Falls from the manor house. You may be pressed for time, but Moll's Gap or the Gap of Dunloe is a nice way to round out the day. Remember the roads are not great and double the time you would think it would take you at home. The Dingle Peninsula is beautiful. The drive to Slea Head is exciting, but the views are grand. We stayed in Dingle town. A lot of fun places to eat and have a pint. The Cliffs of Moher need to be on your must see list. We were there on a sunny day and it leaves you speechless. The roads near there and Doolin were some of the best on the SW. Galway is about 1.5 hrs. from Shannon and it was charming. Eyere Square is packed with shops and places to eat and drink. We drove thru part of the Connemera Park, but it is time consuming...about 2hrs. to Clifden from Galway. Enjoy your visit. Best advice is see less, but savor the time given to that particular area. While in Dingle we took time to go up the Connor Pass...not on the list for us, but it was so stunning to view we were glad to have taken the time.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Dawn

Make sure to stay in Dingle. It is unforgetable!! Bob, I am surprised that you are doing so many 1 nighters. Ugh!!! I wouldn't do that again if you paid me. We did that when we went to Ireland (2 days here..1 there) and we were exhausted, to say the least, when the trip was over (and we are younger, 25 at the time) and felt that we couldn't really get a sense of the places that we stayed.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Kathleen

With only 7 days, you'll have to make some choices (and resolve to go back!). The southwest is spectacular! Spend the first day around Cliffs of Moher, overnight in Doolin. Next head to Dingle for 2 to 3 days (see the Gap of Dunloe near Killarney, skip the Ring of Kerry), then maybe around Cork for 2 to 3 days (Mizen Peninsula is wonderful! Bantry is lovely). Then up through Cahir, Cashel (don't miss the Rock, it really is a wonderful sight!) Then on to Dublin for a night or two, with maybe a trip thru Wicklow and Glendalough. You'll miss the southeast, but don't make the mistake of driving all day from place to place--you won't remember much, and you'll be exhausted. Have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:28 PM
susan`

Dear Cheryl: <BR> We loved Connemara even tho the weather was horribly cold & rainy (in April). Stopped at Kylemore Abbey (interesting history). Galway was our least favorite town. Do visit Bunratty Park & Castle. Also, Tralee - Kerry the Kingdom Museum is marvelous. <BR> Also, Killarney (nice little city) & lovely Muckrose House & fantastic gardens. <BR> Dublin was our favorite. A very comfortable "doable" city with lots of friendly people. My favorite was the National Museum (loads of fascinating stuff on the Celts & Vikings - and "the Troubles"). <BR> You'll have a great time! <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Martha

If you go to Dingle, I would like to recommend Doyle's restaurant. We had two wonderful dinners there.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:31 AM
terri

I agree with Dawn to avoid too many one nighters- who wants to continually pack and re-pack, it is also quite exhausting! I suggest you pick a few spots to work out from- Killarney, Dingle and Doolin are good suggestions. My husband and I enjoyed the town of Ennis too even though it is not on the coast! (but close to Shannon). We spent 2 weeks in Ireland on the west coast alone- never even got close to Dublin!! Will you see it all? No, but the best part of Ireland for us were the people and the music.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 12:51 PM
cork

If you go to Doyles in Dingle be carefull concerning your check. Make sure that you pay in punts. Don't allow them to convert the check into dollars when you use your credit card. They establish their own exchange rate and charge a premium. We ended up paying about $5.00 more on a $75.00 check. Go next door to the Half Door. The food is better. They also play with the exchange rate. As long as you know about it just go and enjoy yourself.Was there last week.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:54 PM
cheryl

I can't thank you enough for the advice. <BR>I now feel better and look forward to <BR>getting my map out and setting up an itinerary. WE are traveling with my 75 year old mom so I think the advice about doing less one nighters is good. <BR>With warm appreciation.. I thank you andd look forward to letting you know how things go for us... Mom,Husband and 2 kids! CHeryl

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 03:52 PM

To the top

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Cathy

Hi folks, <BR> <BR>I have tried to add the following for the last 3 days and each time the forum monster has eaten it , so here goes this time - Just to add my twopence worth of assistance and advice. I live in Ireland and I have received lots of emails recently re my responses so I decided to post this summary for anyone who is interested. I have been on the roads around the country quite a lot in the past few days. <BR> <BR>First of all could I echo some postings about not missing the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough - great scenery and B&Bs in the mountains with good walking trails, I would also like to mention that Sligo and Donegal are worth a visit - lots of sandy beaches and excellent seafood restaurants esp. around Sligo. The you could travel down along the border counties of the Republic. Northern Ireland is not the best place to visit at the moment but it should be quieter in September and October and N Ireland has lots to see and do. <BR> <BR>Kerry, Killarney, Dingle and the Cliffs are worth visiting but do remember that 95% of the tourists who visit Ireland head to these areas - the Ring of Kerry and Dingle is packed these days and if you wanted to find an Irish person in these areas you would have to search long and hard at the moment. The same goes for Galway and Dublin. Galway is a particular favourite and is usually very crowded in August and Sept due to festivals and racing. Dublin as the capital city is booming and add in visitors etc as a result it is always crowded. Kilkenny is a favourite city or mine and worth a stop in although it is attracting more crowds in the past few years. <BR> <BR>Other popular sites including Trinty College and Newgrange etc are very busy at the moment - Newgrange is booked out for large tours until mid 2001. Due to the weakness of the Euro and the strength of stg (British pound) there are lots of visitors in Ireland at the moment - the peak season will cont into mid Sept or later. There are alternatives to Newgrange - in Sligo and near Kells (a hour from Newgrange). <BR> <BR>Dublin is jammed full - and if you haven't prebooked a bed prepare for long delays at tourist offices and accommodation either outside of the city or out of your budget range. Try Maynooth College - 20 minutes from the city centre - for cheap accommodation. www.maynooth.ie I think is the web address. Trinity College also offers beds but is usually booked out months in advance. <BR> <BR>Traffic is a major issue in Ireland at the moment - the two main routes out of Dublin today had long tail backs and it isn't even a holiday weekend - the tail backs were as short as 4 miles and as long as 8 miles and took anything between 3 to 5 hours to travel the distance in some cases. These were the routes to Galway and to Cork and the SouthWest. So could I advise avoiding driving in the city, traveling the main routes during the week and spending your last night with easy reach of the airport in Dublin ie on the northside of the city centre, and booking a taxi for the trip - taxis are as scare as gold in Dublin at peak times. <BR> <BR>So what else is there ? Well the weather has gotten better in recent days - sunshine and less rain but it is so changeable that the person who can predict the weather accurately in Ireland would make a lot of money. So be prepared. <BR> <BR>Allow twice the amount of time for driving the same distance you would at home - wherever home is for you. The roads are twisty and narrow off the main routes around Dublin, road works and holiday traffic also add to the delays as do agricultural traffic. Take it slow and easy after all you are on holiday. Irish drivers are aiming to bypass the Italians with speed and recklessness increasing. The speed limit is 60 miles per hour roughly. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Cathy

Just to prove that the monster does eat post here is the remainder of the post - <BR> <BR> <BR>Credit cards are accepted in most places - more common than parts of central Europe. Banks are open between the hours of 10.00 and 3.00 and many open later until 4.00 and some have one late evening ie 5.00pm. All are closed on Saturdays but major tourist towns have Bureau d'Change. Dublin has several. <BR> <BR>The public transport system outside Dublin is not great especially the trains (unofficial train strike is also not helping at the moment but that is due for resolution in the coming week) however the long distance buses are generally more reliable. CIE is the umbrella organisation for all transport in and outside Dublin. Web site address www.cie.ie. They also offer day trips to popular visitor locations ie around the Ring of Kerry, Newgrange etc. <BR> <BR>In Dublin avoid driving and get rid of the rental car - parking is a BIG problem as is traffic jams. Dublin Bus (see web site www.cie.ie) do excellent hop on and hop off tours of the city for 7 Irish pounds. IN addition the Trinity College History students do the best walking tours of the city - starting from the gates of the college. There are also Pub Crawls and literary tours (walking) of the city. Dublin is walk able or alternatively get a bus pass for the buses (or if you are lucky and are staying near a DART station ie suburban rail then a DART pass) but do remember that the buses stop at about 11.30 and there is a limited service after that at the weekends until 3.00am. Ditto for the DART. All buses demand exact fare so get a pass or have the exact fare. Don't try and understand the timetable it is a mystery just take a bus when it appears because it might be the first in a year and the next one might not be seen in this century. Ask Dubliners to explain. <BR> <BR>Accommodation in Dublin - well Jurys Inn in Christchurch is the best hotel price available, lots of good B&Bs also available. B&Bs are the best as there are usually family run and offer better value for money than a hotel. Lots of good restaurants also - Temple Bar is a popular location but with tourist prices so shop around -one of my favourites is Chapter One on Parnell Sq - underneath the Writer's Museum. NOT THE CAFE in the museum but the restaurant underneath - entrance from the street - excellent lunch menu and great value, more expensive evening menu also available. <BR> <BR>I would advise if you are interested in seeing the Book of Kells in Trinty (well worth it) to get there early. The Guinness Brewery tour is interesting but very touristy and crowded alternatively try the Dublin Brewing Compnay (web site www.dublinbrewing.com I think !) excellent tour and more informative with more beer. Whiskey tours in Dublin and Middleton (Cork) are also good but if you are traveling between Dublin and Galway stop off in Kilbeggan for the Tullamore Dew/Locke's Distillery tour - less crowds. The Rock of Cashel can be seen during a drive from Cork to Dublin - stopping off for a few hours - if you are short on time and want an extra night in either Cork or Dublin. The Cliffs of Moher do need time (and good weather is essential to be able to see them too) and don't think of driving from Shannon on arrival to the Cliffs and back again - remember the roads. <BR> <BR>Finally checkout the Irish Tourist Board site www.ireland.travel.ie for further assistance. Hope this helps you plan your trips <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR>PS Bob delighted to see you are heading in this direction

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Mavis

Hi Cheryl. Personally, I'd spend max! two days in Dublin. There's so much more in the countryside that will really make your trip worthwhile. Some of my recommendations (heading south, east, then north fr. Shannon): although there are hordes of tourists we liked Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. The Castle isn't that great if you've seen others, but the Folk Park was really interesting. We liked Dingle P. over Ring of Kerry, Muckross worth a stop, as is Blarney (again, touristy but great people-watching). Anne Grove's Gardens near Castletownroche (Olde Bridge Pub!) is worth a detour if you want to go inland as is Fionghort Phort Lairge, the only commercial vineyard in Ireland - near Lismore/Cappoquin. On coast, Kinsale lovely, but expensive, great food and pubs (The Spaniard). Don't miss Interpretive Centre at Cobh - outstanding. Best thing we've seen in Ireland on any of our visits. Drive in to Youghal - where Moby Dick was filmed, have dinner at Aherne's, buy a piece of lovely pottery at Jack O'Patsy's. Can also stop at The Thatch Pub in Killeagh along the road for dinner - lots of locals. If you need to stretch your legs, try the Cliff Walk in Ardmore (oldest Christian settlement in Ireland - walk ends at one of few surviving Round Towers), followed off by a pint at Paddy Mac's. Marine Bar (lamb stew fantastic!) on road to Waterford (think N25) also good or Ring which is in the centre of an all-Gaelic speaking area, try the pub Mooney's - spectacular sunsets from outside. Dunmore East is full of thatched houses and you can see lots of interesting boats - including cruise liners - come into port. Depending on your schedule you may want to wander through Co. Wicklow - where Ballykissangel is filmed. Very beautiful. Have a great time.