Search

Sothern Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sothern Italy

I have been reading everyone's advice and I really appreciate the help. Now if I can be more specific. We are arriving in Naples on the 12th and need to meet my parents in BARI on the 20th. I thought we could go down the coast and end up in Silicy but is this possible in a week? Also we are winging it and not making any reservations. I noticed that this is not the best time to visit the Southern Coast (money and crowds) and also August 15th is a big holiday. Has anyone been there on this day? How bad have I nessed up by not making reservations? Is the trip to Silicy possible? Thank you and if you care to email me personally that would be great at [email protected].
Thank you so much, Kim Petit
PS Thank you Ira for all of your info.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Along the coast in Italy, in August, is jammed packed. My first reaction is that it may be very problematic that you do not have hotels. I would start researching and see if you can find availability in the towns you want to stop in. Are you driving to Sicily? From Bari to Taormina, Sicily is 495 km. It could easily take 8 hours of driving.

Tell us more so we can help.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Hi Kim, on your other post about Bari I commented I have been to Bari.

We drove from Naples to Bari. It was in July before Europe has gotten as hot as it has been these past years. Let me tell you, that was one hot trip, LOL. I can't imagine driving for hours and hours in August. Personally I would try to enjoy the area where you will be and then drive straight to Bari. You could do day trips from Naples if you can't get a room along the coast. Best wishes.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

There has been a change of plans that I think I posted. We have decided to leave Naples once we land and take the train to Florence. From there to Venice and from there an overnight train to Bari. Basically skipping the Amalfi Coast. Couple of reasons. While I know that it is going to be hot all over Italy we are hoping it will be cooler in Florence and Venice. I also do not want to walk around in the heat with the crowds and trying to find a hotel. Hopefully this will be easier in Florence and Venice. In Nari we have a villa and a car so not much concern about that aspect, more interested in what to see over in that region. Thanks for any help. KIM
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:44 AM
ira

Hi KP,

>We have decided to leave Naples once we land and take the train to Florence. From there to Venice and from there an overnight train to Bari. ... do not want to walk around in the heat with the crowds and trying to find a hotel. Hopefully this will be easier in Florence and Venice. <

I don't think so.

Have you looked for hotels in Naples? Have you tried looking for hotels at all?

In Florence, try www.bedinflorence.it
The AC works.

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:56 AM
PJI

We lived in Sicily for several years. We once tried to make a reservation in January at a hotel in Taormina for our anniversary in August - they asked me what year - I said this year - they laughed. Out loud. And then they called some people out of the back office so they could tell them - they also laughed. If you are going anywhere costal or with lots of tourist traffic in August I suggest you reserve. The 15th is huge and everything will be shut down. Also, lots of the small places will be closed during the month. They will be on the beach or at their beach house with everyone else.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:02 AM
PJI

OOPS. Didn't read your change of plans. Its probably better that way - the Ferry from Calabria to Messina is a BEAR in August. We once waited over 7 hours in over 100 degree heat. It was terrible!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Sorry to hijack this post, but can I ask LoveItaly: how long did it take you to drive from Naples to Bari? I'm doing the same journey (well, Naples to Brindisi area) in October. Thanks!
Kate
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:52 AM

www.viamichelin.com