Search

Sorrento Prices!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento Prices!

Hi,
I'll soon be taking my first trip to Sorrento and while I'm not under the impression that's it a very inexpensive destination, I've recently read some reports regarding prices. Just one of the reports I read was that it costs $2.50-$3.00 for a coke and that alcohol and food are very over-priced. Can anyone clear this up for me? I'm not a skinflint, I just want to know!! Thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:08 AM
jsquared

We were in Sorrento in October, while it isn't one of the cheapest places we have visited, it wasn't the most expensive either.

Stay away from the main square when eating. Wander down the sidestreets away from the clocktower. Lots of little places that post their menus out front along with prices. Like anywhere else, go into the smaller places where the locals are.

We followed these guidelines and did just fine. The one place under the clocktower in the main square ( sorry I am awful with names) with the big yellow awning was an exception. Great cappicino, baked goods, drinks at night watching the world go by and all very reasonably priced.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Guess what? $2.50-$3 is standard for a coke in Europe....or perhaps even cheap!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM

I don't drink Coke, but I was thinking the same thing. I remember a friend with us going off to a little store to buy a coke and coming back laughing, because it has cost $5.00 -- in a regular store!

We ate as some really delightful restaurants in Sorrento, which seemed like great bargains after much of Italy.

"Inexpensive" is all relative.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Soft drinks are expensive everywhere in Europe. They will be small and there aren't any free refills! It is cheaper to drink beer or the house wine by the 1/2 liter or liter. If you need a soft drink "fix" try stopping in a grocery instead.
I was in Sorrento in June and found prices varied. If you eat overlooking the water it may cost more but then you have that wonderful view. Our hotel had a wonderful restaurant with great cheap food and a wonderful view but it was not in town.
As in most places in Italy, the farther you wander from the main streets/piazzas, the better the prices.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

HowardR, I actually live in Europe so I'm quite familiar with the prices. Yes certain things can be expensive but I've never paid the equivalent of $3 for a coke in a shop. My point really wasn't about the price of coke, as I don't drink it, it was about expense in general in Sorrento (or italy). It's a place that I've never been to and was curious about the prices. Thank you all for your replies!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Jake, since yhou were talking about taking a trip (which I read as "vacation&quot, I logically and naturally assumed you were talking about restaurant prices....and $2.50 for a coke in a restaurant almost anywhere in Europe is cheap!