Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi Coast

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi Coast

Hello,

Planning my honeymoon. I have roughly a day and a half in Sorrento. We arrive around 11am and then have the full next day. We would like to explore the coast and make it to Pompeii as well.

Need suggestions on how to best utilize time and see as much as possible. How hard is it to get to Pompeii on your own? Do you need a tour guide?

What are the best spots to go on the coast and best ways to get there?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM

It depends a bit on how you define 'best'.

If you want to see as many places as possible, then you could see Pompeii on your half day. On your full day, here are a few alternatives. Here are some...

Catch an early bus (like 7am) along the coast to Ravello (via Amalfi), bus back to Amalfi, ferry to Positano, then bus or ferry (if running) to Sorrento, arriving back in Sorrento for dinner around 8 or 9pm. Many people would do this over several days or a week but it's feasible. I probably wouldn't do it because it feels like rushing around too much.

Or take a later bus to Positano, mooch around admiring the views, browsing the shops, having lunch, an early evening aperitif and then head back to Sorrento for dinner.

My third alternative would be to catch the first bus of the day to Bomerano (via Amalfi) and walk the Path of the Gods to Nocelle or Montepertuso, walk or take the bus to Positano, then back to Sorrento from there.

All of these options would be busy days.

You don't say what time of year you'll be visiting but keep in mind that the buses are busy in peak season and it's not out of the question that you won't get on the bus and if you do you may not get a seat. Travelling at either end of the day makes it more likely you'll get a seat. Views of the coast are very different from the bus vs the ferry. Ferries (I think but check) stop about 6pm and don't start that early. Timetables are all available online. Of course, if you have oodles of money you could hire a driver but the traffic is a nightmare on the coast road too.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! We will be there in peak season (mid July). Is it pretty simple to get to Pompeii via the trains? Also do you need a tour guide for Pompeii?
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, you can take the train from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi for 2-3€. It takes about 30 minutes and the ruins are across the road from the Pompeii Scavi train station. You will see some guides trying to gather groups at the entrance of Pompeii (they have to be licensed to guide inside) or you can rent an audio guide at the entrance.

Ferries don't run late. Buses run much later than the ferries and are more frequent (but packed).