Sorrento or Positano?

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Kathy

Sorrento or Positano?

We have a time share exchange my parents are giving me for my one year anniversary at the end of May.

We want to go to the Amalfi coast. The time share company has places in Positano, Sorrento & Capri. Which would be the best place to stay. In Positano: Hotel Royal or Villa Flavio Gioia. Sorrento: Antico Palazzo Scala and Capri: Hotel Villa Igea or Residenza Casa Vuotto.

The one in Sorrento seems nicest - but it's so hard to tell from the pictures on the web. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Grasshopper

Everyone here is so big on Positano but I prefer Sorrento. It's more central to more things to do, and in my opinion, less tourist centric. There is normal life in Sorrento... Positano is about tourists.

From Sorrento you can take easy day trips to Amalfi/Ravello/Positano, Capri, Pompeii, Naples, Vesuvius..... And there are lots and lots of interesting things to do in Sorrento itself.

Feb 19th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Vincenzo

I agree with Grasshopper.

Mar 8th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Mark

I was in Sorrento last year while on a cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going back to the same area for one day and torn between going back to Sorrento or visiting Positano. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to do in Positano or why it's so special??

Mar 8th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Tess

-
I am one of those pro-Positano people. Honestly, Mark? There ain't a damn thing to do there and that's why I like it. When selecting accommadations in Positano, I think it's critical to have a 'room with a view'. That is really the charm of the place. Once upon a time it was a small quaint fishing village down the road from the republic of Amalfi. Size hasn't changed significantly, but volume of visitors has blossomed. Beaches are rocky and not what I'd describe as 'world class beaches' (none of Italy's beaches are). Like I said, it's simply a charming unique village hanging on the side of the cliffs. I enjoy walking around and soaking up the ambience, inhaling the fragance of lemons which are ubiquitous in region. They use those mega-size lemons (closer to size of grapefruit than what I see in my grocery store) to make a liquor, limoncello.

All that being said, my visits to Positano have been of a 2 or 3 day duration. And for Kathy's inquiry, I'd suggest that you stay in Sorrento. Grasshopper is correct in describing the advantages of Sorrento. I assume your time share is at least a week, possibly two? Being based in Sorrento will provide you with best flexibility to do day trips and experience all that Amalfi has to offer.

Mar 9th, 2002, 09:42 AM
dean

Kathy

There is no comparison between the two places. Positano is a tiny cliffside village that is very full of tourists. Sorrento is a medium sized town full of tourists. The choice boiles down to what you are looking for.

If your idea of a perfect vacation is wandering the streets os a small village shopping and eating then Positano will make you very happy. There are beaches but very rocky for the most part. Positano si somewhat isolated in that anything else to do is a car and/or bus ride away.

Sorrrento has a shabby/chic feel to it. It is full of vespas and i somewhat noisy. There are wonderful shops all over and it has a great feel. But Sorrento's best feature is how easy it is to get to other places. If you want to day trip to Naples, Pompeii, Herculano all you do is jump on the Circumvesuviana and for a couple of bucks you get to all the sights. If you have a car you can day trip to the Amalfi Coast, Paestum, Ravello, Amalfi and Positano. Sorrento also has great ferry connections to Capri, Positano, Napoli, Ischia and Pozzuoli.

Since we love to visit the museums in Naples and are into all the antiquities in the area, we plan on staying in Massa Lubrense which is just beyond sorrento. But given a choice of Sorrento vs Positano, we would choose Sorrento hands down.

Mar 9th, 2002, 07:45 PM
J

I'm looking at exactly the same timeshares. Antico Palazzo Scalla is a hotel of International Distinction so I vote for that one. I am planning a first trip to the Amalfi coast so I have no opinion on Sorrento or Positano. Anyone have an opinion on Ischia?
I'd be interested in which one you choose and how it turns out. Have Fun!