Sorrento or Positano?

Jul 13th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Cathy Ortiz

Sorrento or Positano?

I am planning my first trip to the Amalfi Coast and am trying to decide between Sorrento or Positano. We want a waterfront room and would probably like to schedule a dive as well. Your thoughts?

Jul 13th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Howard

If you do not have a car, pick Sorrento, since access in and out and to other tourist places is much easier from there. If you do have a car, then it depends on what you are looking for. Sorrento is much bigger, though not big, and therefore has more shopping, street life, etc. Positano has more of a resort feel, and is quieter. Both are very nice.

Jul 13th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Jay

I agree! If you don't have a car, stay in Sorrento. Although even if you do have a car parking is a real adventure in Positano. The hotel we stayed at had a parking available but it was in a lot at the very bottom of the town and it was a real hike up the hills to the hotel each time we came back from exploring. We had no such problem in Sorrento and found Sorrento to be more easliy accessable overall. We took the ferry to Capri and use the town as a base for exploring the coastline and smaller towns. Really beautiful area. When we make our next trip to the region, we'll definitely stay in Sorrento!

Jul 13th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Capo

Hi Cathy. I don't know how many days you have in that area, but how about splitting your time between the two?

We stayed one night in Sorrento, and visited Positano (and Amalfi) the next day. Positano is stunning in the way it spills down the cliffs to the sea, but we both felt that Sorrento was, overall, a more interesting place. We especially liked the wonderful old part of town.

Jul 13th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Joanne

I too vote for Sorrento. One of our favorite places! I could happily live there at least half the year and the other half here at home.

Very convenient for travel to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, and the Amalfi Coast. Circumvesuviana trains very inexpensive and efficient. We always go to Capri for the day which is easy on the hydrofoils from Sorrento. They also go to Ischia and Naples.

We haven't seen all of Italy YET, but I'm sure Sorrento will remain a special place even when we do.

Don't hesitate to e-mail me if you wish more specific info. Joanne

Jul 14th, 2001, 03:36 AM
SteveJames

Hello Cathy,

For diving tours have a look at:-

www.divingtour.it (Sorrento/Massa L.)
www.scogliodellesirene (Capri - Marina Piccola)

Steve

Jul 14th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Jamie

Try and do both and try to slip Ravello in too. High in the hills above Amalfi, it's the home of author Gore Vidal and is beautiful. Positano is a must. We stayed at the Palazzo Murat andit was lovely and a great location. Have fun!! Bes sure to try the Lemoncellos when you're there-the only place in Italy where they serve it! Also, great pottery, bring lots of money!

Jul 15th, 2001, 08:10 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, Cathy
I would also suggest Sorrento as your
hub, you also have Capri for a day visit. Pompeii and Naples also. For
the Amalfi unless you definately wish
to stay at one of the towns on it you
can take a bus that runs from Sorrento
to Salerno, stopping enroute. (see www.uniplan.it/sita/)... You can visit
the Amalfi towns and really determine
which one fits your needs. Rail runs
from Sorrento to Naples stopping at
Pompeii...the Cirumvesuviana RR. (see
http://www.vesuviana.it/)...(www.sta...ficoast/...and touristicsite.syrene.it/ and
www.sorrentoweb.com/
Some hotels in Sorrento can be located
on the outskirts and would require a
longer walk to the city center, Pza Tasso, so also watch your hotels location... Richard of LaGrange Park, IL
One excellant hotel we used in Sorrento
many years ago was the Bellevue Syrene
which does have views of the Gulf and
Vesuvio,,,,

Search this Thread