Songdoc: Ireland Self Catering Cottage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Songdoc, I have tried about 10 times to reply to your post but Fodor's is full of glitches today and will not let me reply. I looked at all of your choices and liked the Thatch in Ramelton the best. This is strictly from a woman's point of view. I liked the interior of it the best. Since you will be there in Feb. you may spend a lot of time inside. The area is good for getting to a lot of areas in Donegal and not too far from Letterkenny with all its pubs, restaurants, shopping, city conveniences, etc.

I hope you are going to do another of your great trip reports when you get back?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Thanks so much for the input. It's tough to decide because they all look great -- and I don't know the area. But I'm guessing I'd have a great time in any of them.

At the moment, the plan is to split nine days between a cottage on the Dingle Peninsula and one of the ones in Co. Donegal--with one night somewhere en route (maybe Dromoland Castle -- if I can get one of the "last-minute" half priced special rates). Then, I'll go to work for two days at a songwriting conference held at the Sandhouse Hotel at Rossnowlagh.

But first, I have to get ready to work next week in Boulder, Co. -- and then go directly from freezing Colorado to a Caribbean songwriting cruise! Life is tough ;-)(So don't think I've disappeared if I don't respond for a while.)

I'll do my best with the trip report!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Ask for one of the newly re-done rooms at the Sandhouse Hotel. They are much nice than the older ones. The beach there is fantastic.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Songdoc, I also looked at all of your choices and this is really funny, I thought the The Thatch looked the best. I was thinking of rainy weather and feeling closed in. The first choice Grahams and the 3rd look very closed in. No view at all from the windows even if it is a patch of gray sky. Also, Thatch does look very comfortable.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I'm leaning toward the Thatch -- and the fact that it's HALF the price of some of the others is a nice bonus!

Re: the rooms as the Sandhouse . . . the hotel is actually closed for the winter and will be open only for the retreat I'll be attending. So, I suspect we'll all be housed in one area. Hopefully, it will be a good one. But, hey -- it's a paid trip to Ireland, so I can't complain!

Re: anticipating the rainy weather . . . I visited the Antrim Coast and Belfast last February and had surprisingly nice weather--mostly, bright sunny days. So, I know it's possible and I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I just hope I haven't used up all of my luck.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

The Thatch looks the nicest, is in a good area for exploring and half the price of the others. I think it sold itself! You will have to tell us all about it. On your recommendation I stayed in Ned's Loft on my last trip and loved it. As they say what goes around comes around. Thanks Songdoc!

The older rooms are not bad at the Sandhouse Hotel. It is just that the new ones are fresher and have more updated decor. The whole hotel was very nice and comfortable. I hope you get some good weather there for walking the beach. Just thinking about it makes me want to return right now. Have fun.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Songdoc -
At that price they're practically paying you to stay there I love the living room, the kitchen and the roof.

If it were me I'd probably still go for the 200 year old restored cottage near Churchill but this one looks very, very comfortable and bright. One problem with Irish cottages can be the lighting. In this one you can see lots of ceiling lights as well as lamps - very good sign since you'll be doing lots of reading by that fireplace. I think it will be wonderful!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hey Songdoc:

Yup, it's going to be very cold in Boulder this week. The high is supposed to be 12 tomorrow.

Make sure you spend some time up at Fanad Head in Donegal.

Bill
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I decided on the Thatch. BUT, when I sent an inquiry I was told the price would be an additional 40 Euros -- PLUS 10 Euros for utilities. I copied and sent back the info from the web site that quoted the lower price -- and the fact that it stated utilities were included.

Even at the higher price it's a bargain -- and substantially lower than the other options . . . but I was feeling uncomfortable--maybe even ripped off.

So I sent a nice email asking about the discrepancy and received the kindest response, explaining that the prices listed were for 2006 (and my stay will be in 2007); and that they genuinely regret having to raise the rate for next year. As a gesture of "goodwill" he offered me the 2006 rate. SOLD!

The gentleman who contacted me couldn't have been nicer and he made me feel great about dealing with him and staying at his cottage.

When I get back from freezing Boulder (brrrr) ...and then the Caribbean cruise, I'm sure I'll have more thoughts and questions as the Ireland trip approaches.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Ah it sounds lovely.

And sympathies regarding Boulder - it will be below 10 tonight in Bellingham where I live. It's so very cold!

For a nearby day trips - we enjoyed Glebe House and all the lovely coastal drives and mountain hikes.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Songdoc, That is good news and the fact that The Thatch will honor the 2006 price is great. Of course Feb is probably not a high demand month anyway. Glebe House will not be open at that time of year.

Hope you survive the deep freeze and the big thaw! Are you a song writer?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Great news, Songdoc, can't wait for your trip report.
Rosetravels, this is my first winter here on Bainbridge and boy I'm cold. I think you have it a little worse up where you are. Stay safe.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Again, thank you all for your responses.

Irish Eyes: Yes, I'm a songwriter and also an author and teacher re: how to become a successful songwriter. Considering my passions for travel and teaching, I live a charmed life. I've had an opportunity to teach aspiring songwriters and artists in locations including Norway, Hawaii, Belfast, Jamaica, Bermuda, Toronto, Puerto Rico, SF, NY, Chicago, L.A., and many other cities throughout the U.S. Sometimes I can hardly believe that I actually get paid to go to these places!

I'll be teaching a one-day Master Class in Co. Donegal on Feb. 10th. So I'm arriving 11 days early . . . um, er "to adjust to the time change so I can do a great job teaching!" When I go somewhere I'd like to visit, I add vacation time.

I'll be teaching 90 minutes a day on the Caribbean "songwriting" cruise that leaves Saturday. Similarly, at the annual Kauai Music Festival, I only teach two hours a day (and will stay at least an additional week). Life is WONDERFUL!!!

Chatham: I used to have a relative on Bainbridge and I loved it there. Stay warm -- and think of those beautiful seasons that are coming!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Hi songdoc. Sounds like a great career. I have too many degrees in music and don't really use them to make a living, more to support my need to travel. We should have arranged to meet up while you were in Boulder. I'm sure we could have shared some fabulous Irish and music stories.

Bill