Some odd questions....

Search

Some odd questions....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some odd questions....

Do I need a visa to travel to Florence? Part of me thinks, no.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a personalized hand cream in Florence? I have heard that you can go to a perfumerie and buy a personalized item. Is that true?

Can I bring home tons of coffee from Italy? Or is there a limit?

Does Italy use the Euro?

What is a good site for currency exchange rates?

What would be better? Exchanging pounds for Euros, or dollars for euros?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Assuming you are American, no, you do not need a visa to travel to anywhere in Western Europe, including Florence, for less than 3 or 6 months (not quite sure which one it is, it might depend on the country).

Italy does use the Euro, xe.com has accurate exchange rates, although you shouldn't expect to get those rates when you exchange, because they're for bulk orders.

The best would be to go to an ATM in Florence and withdraw Euros; if you wanted to bring some cash, dollars would be better, because you would lose money both in converting to pounds and then again to Euros, vs. losing it only once converting straight from dollars to Euros, but there's really no reason to do so (for peace of mind, you might want to bring some Euros, no more than 100, from a bank back home).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM

As a coffee snob of long duration, I wouldn't bring much more than a pound of coffee home. In coffee, freshness is all...well, maybe not ALL, but close to it.

I'd just use ATM's in Italy. I think you get a better rate with charges or ATM Withdrawals than if you exchange currency.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Well, the header pulled me in!
I have the same question about coffee limits from Italy. And, along those lines, does anyone know the deal with shipping coffee/wine/gifts home from Italy? Is there a customs issue I need to worry about?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM

birthdaygirlstrip, if you are a US citizen living in the US you are allowed to go to Italy for 90 days maximum. After that you are legally suppose to get a visa.

Regarding tons of coffee, I would buy one or two cans as agree that coffee can go stale. What brand do you like from Italy? Some can be purchased in the US (as in SF for example or over the internet.

Yes, Italy uses the Euro.

Regarding hand cream, I would assume you are thinking of the Farmacia della Santa Maria Novella.

Not sure since you mention pounds or dollars where you live, perhaps even in Canada?

I suggest that you do some research before you plan your trip. For example, I do take 100Euro with me before I leave for Italy. Also bring some US dollars with me so I have US money on me when I return home. But other than that using an ATM for cash is the best way to get Euro's. I always take 2 ATM's cards from two different financial institution. Both connected to a checking account. And use credit cards for hotel bills, most restaurant bills etc.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM

For currency exchange:
Exchangerate.com x-rates.com

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No they do not do personal blends but do buy the Almond!!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Just curious, and it used to be that one didn't ask a lady this question, but we're all so beyond that sort of sexist silliness now--how old are you birthdaygirlstrip?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rufus!

I already had my bday in december and this trip is sort of an early vacation for me. I did not travel much when I was younger (i am nearing the big 30 ) and so I am trying to travel as much as I can, and while I can.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Oh Birthday girl, whether you know it or not, you made me smile. For those of us with a few years on you, its funny to hear you say, "when you were younger..." Its all relative.

But that desire to travel as much as you can, when you can, before time runs out or the body gives out, or the wallet.... is pretty universal to lots of us regardless of our age.

When are you going by the way?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Hi Rufus, any time some man has asked me that question regarding my age my response is "old enough to remember when a gentleman didn't ask a lady that question". Sorry, but just couldn't resist.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I think its all about the approach. It's very very difficult to understand tone in written form, so while advice is helpful, being "snippy" (your words, Rex) is just unnecessary and can ruin a pleasant experience such as searching for information for an upcoming trip. Rex, I'm sure we all (myself included) appreciate and thank you for your help and expertise, but you present it in a very condescending manner. Please consider this advice to you on making the forums better for those of us floating around, just as you intend your advice to help.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

ChicagoLori-- thank you for your warm comments! I know that to many I seem young, but to me, I feel like I missed out on my early twenties by being uber responsible and taking care of an ailing parent. So I feel like I want to live life to the fullest right now, ya know?

As for those that lost sleep over my headings (jeesh! you would have thought that I had called Rick Steves(sp?) the antichrist or something -- and no, I ADORE RICK STEVES)...I can argue with the best of them...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Good for you. Keep asking questions even if you think they might be odd. I always think its better to ask odd or even "dumb" questions then not to ask them and end up doing odd or "dumb" things.

Now rex is the resident "crusty mentor" when it comes to postings, and he does lay it on the line pretty straight and strong, but his main point is a good one. rex doesn't need me to defend him, and that's not my reason for taking up this line of discussion.
But--
any poster actually might get more responses (and more helpful ones) with thread titles that focus on what he is really after. No law says anyone has to do so, but if the purpose is to get information then it makes sense to go about it in the most effective way.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

i have only been to paris and london. and paris was the euro and london the pound...so I figured that maybe some countries used different currencies even though the euro is prevalent.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM

The oddest question in this whole thing is: "What would be better? Exchanging pounds for Euros, or dollars for euros?"

Assuming you live and work in America, you earn USD, meaning that to exchange Sterling (British Pounds) for Euros, you would first have to exchange your USD for Sterling.

You lose money exchanging, so the least amount of exchange is the best. Now, if you have a situation in which you have both flowing in, then 1 Pound will get you more Euros than 1 USD.

You can check currency exchange rates on-line (just do a search), but most guidebooks will give you a general idea and unless there is some kind of huge economic situation, it will be a near ballpark. They fluctuate daily, so you will just have to see when you get there.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks, laclaire.

I should have clarified. I will be in london before heading off to Florence. Last time I was in London, I got more pounds for my Euro, I believe, than I could have gotten for my american dollars. I was wondering if that was still the case.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Yes, you would get more euros per pound than per dollar as the pound is worth more than one dollar. But you'd have to buy the pounds with your dollars first, so you wouldn't make anything out of it--in fact you lose a bit on each exchange of currencies.

Unless you have a wad of Brit money stashed somewhere.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM

OK. Still, try to only exchange the money once. Save your leftover pounds for the layover on the way back (if you go back through England).
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Wow, reading all this advice is terrific. And to get it while planning a European vacation is extremely helpful. I am approaching 61 (b-day next week) and I wanted to see more of the world while I'm still able, and can afford it. FYI, you do not get bragging rights just because you spent a week's pay on a fancy hotel room. You don't even get to SEE the room when you're sleeping! My best advice is to find the least expensive hotel or pension, or even the European equivalent of the YMCA, and save on lodging while leaving more for shopping! I had the best breakfast in my life at the German equivalent of a Bed and breakfast (Wirtshaus) in the tiny town of Ellhofen. Room (an operating room is less sterile) with shower, dinner with German beer (naturlich), breakfast for two people, 130 marks. At the time that was 83 dollars!!! Maybe I'll be able to wave to you from Florence in April. Safe trip to you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -