Solo week in Spain

Search

Solo week in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo week in Spain

I am a single woman who will be traveling in Spain - I'll be near Madrid but was thinking about going up to Barcelona. I've never been to Spain before and am looking for suggestions. I am a bit concerned about safety, so any ideas about places to go to, places to avoid would be appreciated. I was thinking about finding a group tour for a couple of the days... ?? Any ideas?
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM

I spent 18 days solo in Spain in March/April. I went to Málaga, Barcelona and Madrid. You really don't have to worry about personal safety in Spain, though Barcelona especially has a lot of thievery.

My suggestion is always to wear a money belt so that your passport, credit/ATM cards and cash are safe. There have been posts on this board about people putting property down and having a slick thief take off running with their electronics or whatever.

I think it's very rare that anyone has a problem with safety unless they're out roaming the streets late at night and in an inebriated condition.

I was the "non-victim" of a thief when I was on the train to Montserrat; I had placed my purse on the floor next to my leg, and when I felt the movement of my purse straps, I knew what was up, and I moved my purse. I leave my electronics at home so that I have no more than two pieces to carry: my purse inside a small bag and my 22" suitcase. I think it's asking for trouble to have excess stuff that you have to put down in order to get a ticket out of my purse.

What has made my solo trip more fun is that now I have a small digital recorder in which I make comments when I see something interesting. It helps me remember things I might otherwise forget. It sort of makes up for not having a travel companion to whom to talk.

Spain is a fascinating country. I've visited it several times, and I'll go again.

I usually take the hop-on/hop-off tours when I visit a city I haven't seen before. I get a two-day ticket and take a different route each day. They are pretty cheap, and you get recorded comment from headphones. You can of course take guided tours, which are more expensive but higher quality.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Hello...Your solo trip should be just fine...select a good hotel in central location..many options for touring with a small group which could be fun..you might look at Runnerbean Tours or Spanish Trails...walking type tours more interesting to me than "bus tours" and hop on and off are good too.

Whether solo, with family or friends I would not agree with above statement " it's very rare that anyone has a problem with safety unless they're out roaming the streets late at night and in an inebriated condition." That is simply not the case. I thought that might be the case until I did some research and saw people at my hotel after a robbery...it happens at all times and while some places might have more problems it can happen anywhere. First time ever used moneybelt and used extra cautions...we were fine but always on high alert.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM

I don't think you will enjoy trying to see Madrid and Barcelona in one week-too much!Madrid and a couple of side trips to Segovia,Toledo, Salamanca, will keep you more than busy!In Madrid go to the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor and sign up for one of their tours-very good and cheap!
As turaj suggested,make sure your hotel is in a good area.
If you meet people don't share the fact that you are traveling alone.
Lastly,be aware of your surroundings!
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM

I have traveled alone in Madrid and Barcelona.
Never had a problem, but as PP said, be aware of your surroundings.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you for your ideas. I do feel much better about the safety issue. Caution is always warranted, even in my home town! Now, if only I could decide exactly where I would like to go and what to see. The hop on/ hop off bus is a good idea. And visiting the tourist center also. I know a week will just be a sampling... Any further ideas from fodors travel experts welcome! Thanks!