Solo train travel in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Christmas markets in Germany this year. Posted some questions before: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...4-404668-2.cfm. Thank you to those who replied.

I'm posting again because the person I was going on this trip with has canceled and I'm thinking of going on my own. I have read a few posts about solo traveling and understand that as long as I'm aware of my surroundings I should be fine. My first concern is I had booked hotels that were close to the train stations, easier to walk to with luggage. Good idea or bad idea for someone alone? I thought nothing of it when I was thinking there would be two of us. (Best Western Hotel in Nürnberg and Hotel Kipping in Dresden are the ones I'm rethinking.)

Also I have been looking at train schedules at the bahn.de site. The time between connections is sometimes 3 or 5 minutes, I think they must know that this is enough time to change trains but if anyone knows these train stations Wurzburg, Steinach, Ansbach and knows if they are easy to navigate I would appreciate the information. I'm just trying to know as much as possible because I'm a little nervous about doing this by myself but at the same time I would hate to cancel and wait another year.

I'm thinking of buying the train tickets when I get to the stations specially from the Frankfurt airport to Rothenburg which is my first stop because of the possibility of flight delays. Is that a good idea for the rest of the trip? (Rothenburg-Nuremberg-Prague-Dresden-Berlin)

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:47 PM

If you buy tickets ahead of time (60 - 90 days) you can get much better pricing.

There is a bus from Nuremberg to Prague, not a train. You get the bus outside the main entrance of the Nuremberg train station - large white bus - you can't miss it.

I'm not familiar with the particular train stations you mention but I doubt that 3 minutes is enough time to get off one train and on to another. It doesn't seem like it's a normal transfer time.

I checked Wurzburg to Steinach and there are trains with no connections and trains with 13 minute connections. Then I checked Steinach to Ansbach and see lots of trains with no connections and one that connects to a bus. You'll need to be more specific about this 3 minute transfer you see because I could not find it.

Just because you had planned to travel with someone else does not mean that they would be any help on the trip. I've traveled with people like that; it was like leading a child around. So I would not worry about going by yourself as you might have had to make all the decisions and ask all the questions yourself. This is something you never find out until you're already on the trip!

I would not cancel the trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi adrienne, when I was checking trains from Frankfurt to Rothenburg the first stop was Wurzburg 13 minutes I think was transfer time and the second stop was Steinach and that was 3 minutes. Then from Rothenburg to Nuremberg first stop was Steinach again, five minutes transfer I think, and second stop was Ansbach, three or five minutes. I'm checking December dates, the 11th and 13th.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:20 PM

I have travelled solo by train in Germny and it is so easy. those connection times are not a problem. often the train is on the adjoining track. you will have a great time.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM
kja

I'm a female and have travelled solo throughout Europe (and elsewhere), including travel in Germany. As long as you take reasonable precautions, you should have no trouble. Actually, I find it an incredible self-indulgence to travel alone -- I NEVER have to compromise on anything, and am free to do exactly what I want, when I want.

Go and enjoy!
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 07:39 PM

>>I'm thinking of buying the train tickets when I get to the stations specially from the Frankfurt airport to Rothenburg which is my first stop because of the possibility of flight delays.<<

I don't think you need to wait. I seem to recall that for a few extra Euro the train tickets I bought would be good on another trip if I missed the one I booked. I thought it cheap insurance for the peace of mind. As others have said, the prices are better if you book in advance.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 09:10 PM

The price for flexible train tickets is the same as for walk-up fares.
So you can buy online and print at home today if you feel more comfortable to have the ticket already in your hands. But costwise it does not matter if you want to be flexible.
So when you see the options at bahn.de for "regular fare", this is the unrestricted ticket good for the whole day you buy it for.
Which is a good idea, IMO, as you can hop on any next train towards Würzburg. Otherwise you'd be hanging at Frankfurt airport waiting for your booked train if you arrived early. Or voided the train ticket if your plane was late and you missed the train you committed yourself on.

For the rest of your trip it depends on the respective legs what type of ticket may be feasible.
If you miss a connection due to delayed trains, even a restricted ticket is good for the next train as either the conductor of the delayed train or the staff at service desk at your point of transfer will give you some documentation so the conductor on the next train knows that your "wrong" ticket is still good to go.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 09:13 PM

"I'm thinking of buying the train tickets when I get to the stations specially from the Frankfurt airport to Rothenburg which is my first stop because of the possibility of flight delays. Is that a good idea for the rest of the trip? (Rothenburg-Nuremberg-Prague-Dresden-Berlin)"

NO.

You are right to be concerned about using advance-sale savings fare tickets right after a flight. Regular fare from a ticket machine at FRA will be good on the fastest train itineraries to Rothenburg and will cost €50. That said, you are really on the fast train (the ICE) between FRA and Würzburg, which takes 1.5 hours - the trains from Würzburg to Rothenburg will be regional milk-run trains no matter what.

You can pay €37 instead and ride only the regional trains from FRA - use any of them at any time of day. But it will require almost 4 hours instead of almost 3 hours.

But most of the other legs should be bought in advance 92 days out when they first go on sale for the best prices.

The exception is Rothenburg-Nuremberg. You can do that on the "Tagesticket Solo" daypass. You get a daypass good for regional trains on the whole VGN network for €17.50. And it's good for Saturday AND Sunday if you buy one for Saturday travel; it's also good for any and all public transportation within Nuremberg, if you need it:

http://www.vgn.de/en/dayticket?Edition=en

NOte: There are a few IC and ICE trains that cover the Ansbach-Nuremberg part of the Rothenburg-Nuremberg route, but you should avoid these - they are not permitted with the Tagesticket Solo daypass, and they would only save you 3-4 minutes time anyway. Use the RB and RE trains instead.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:19 PM

I've travelled solo in Germany and don't think there's anything to worry about - take the usual precautions you would in any big city. Trains from Frankfurt airport are easy to get - I think getting one when you're there is a good precaution in case of flight delay. Otherwise, advance purchase can save.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:10 AM

I still don't see the transfer times you mention. You need to be very specific about what trains you're looking at. Where does it originate? Frankfurt Flughafen? Frankfurt Hbf? Is your destination Rothenburg ob der Tauber? What time, what date? The only thing I see that has the numbers 3 and 5 are the platforms the train leaves from. Transfer time is stated as such.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM

For Dresden-Berlin definitely check out bus fares. Since recently there are lots of long distance buses all over Germany. Dresden-Berlin is served by several companies - www.berlinlinienbus.de or www.meinfernbus.de (in German only, it seems) where you can buy tickets starting at 6 Euro (one-way) for example. These buses depart right at Dresden main railway station (Hbf Bayerische Str.), the same side where Hotel Kipping is - which is a good choice, btw.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 07:51 AM

wstgo - if it helps you to make a decision, I've just booked my tickets to Germany and am going solo in September.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM

Don't buy your first day's train ticket (for a specific train) unless you are ok with losing the fare if your plane is late. My last flight was late and I missed my train.

For later train rides, there should be no problem with purchasing tickets in advance. But I would only do that when you are traveling a good distance, usng an IC or ICE train for fast transportation.

Don't sweat the seemingly short transfer times, there is plenty of time.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I think I'm going to take the advice of the majority and buy the rest of my tickets in advance (specially bus to Prague). Thank you Russ for the day pass information, I checked and you are right the difference in time with regional trains is very little and I could use the ticket if I decide to visit the castle in Nuremberg, I understand is not very close to the markets or where I'll be staying.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Also is very good to hear from all of you who travel solo, makes me a little less nervous.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 02:04 PM

It is a very easy walk to the castle in N'b from the Christmas market. I stayed across from the train station and walked to the market and the castle once or twice a day, stopping for beer, of course (and I'm OLD.)