Solo day trip to James Herriot sights from York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2022, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling solo by train from Edinburgh to London, with a two day stop in York in mid June. I'd like to visit a few villages/towns that were the inspiration for James Herriot's books. I will be using public busses and/or the train to do so. If anyone could suggest a one day itinerary, it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 02:10 PM

Have a look at this site:
https://www.visitthirsk.org.uk/

It includes transport options to and from Thirsk.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 03:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Limit yourself to Thirsk. Easy train from York. Alf Wight's original surgery is there (his son Jim continued as the resident vet until retiring a several years ago). https://worldofjamesherriot.com

The first time I visited was back in the early 90's it was still open for business. But for 20+ years its been a wonderful attraction including a comprehensive veterinary museum plus all the sets from the original series and some from the new series. Plus Thirsk is a bustling market town. Been twice since then -- love it.

Cutest thing not really relevant to anything much . . . first time I was there I was traveling with a friend and we were both avid Herriott fans. We were standing across the street, exited that "That RIGHT there is James Herriot's house/office!!! " Lin was trying to take a photo of the building and sign but a woman leaving the surgery, was standing on the front porch and Lin hated people in her pictures (just the opposite of me) -- anyway she kept waiting for the lady to stop talking and get the heck out of the way!.. Well -- she turned around and we could see that sticking out of her tote bag was the cutest baby goat you've every seen and Lin quick took the snap . . . and it was her favorite picture of the entire 6 week trip . . . Jame Herriott's office, a woman carrying a baby goat, and Jim Wight just inside the door waving to her all in the same pix.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. I'm looking forward to spending some time in Yorkshire.