Sofia to Buharest train travel tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I recently got back from my train trip from Sofia to Bucharest and back and decided to share some information and tips .
- I took the train from Sofia to Ruse at 7:00 AM and by 17:17 (5:15 PM) I was in Bucharest Gara de Nord.
- Try to travel during work days on the 1st class coaches. I traveled on a thursday so I had the whole Sofia to Ruse compartment to myself! I felt like a VIP. On the other hand I went back to Sofia on a Sunday so it was first 3 of us, then 4, 5 and by Mezdra we were pakced full. 6/6 seats taken and there were even people standing in the corridors. Both times I used 1st class.
- I was shocked that many foreigners booked the 2nd class between Sofia and Ruse / Ruse to Sofia. It's not saving that much and 1st class is just more comfortable. Our trains are some of the cheapest in Europe anyway, so 1st class is always preferable.
- The Romanian train from Ruse to Bucharest and back is an open coach, 2nd class-only affair. You can buy a ticket directly from the ticket inspector and pay by cash (RON only) or by a contactless credit/debit card.
- The passport check was surprisingly quick both times, but I feel like it was quicker during Thursday, so, again, if you can try to travel during the work days.
- Bring water and snacks, no dining car available.
- If your Sofia to Ruse ticket says "1 change in Gorna Oryahovitsa" but your coach says "Sofia - Ruse" do not get off Gorna Oryahovitsa train station. They just detach/attach the coach to the right train engine going to Ruse (the other coaches go to Varna).
- I booked separately as it's cheaper. I booked 2 tickets from the Bulgarian railways between Sofia and Ruse. I paid my Bucharest - Ruse ticket from the Romanian railway site, but you cannot print it online, you have to pick it up at the International desk at Gara de Nord. Paying the whole Sofia - Bucharest / BU - SF leg is more expensive. You better use 1st class on the Bulgarian railways instead, it's still cheaper overall.
- AC wasn't working on the Bulgarian trains so avoid traveling in July or August if you can.
- There were also no power outlets on the Bulgarian trains, even though I was in 1st class so take a power bank.
- Despite spending almost 11 hours on trains I didn't feel as trashed as I would on a coach/bus trip between those two Balkan capitals. If you want to save time using a coach, you might be able to arrange using one with an organized trip by a travel agency somehow. Many Bulgarian coach companies are on a first-come basis so if you buy your ticket online you might not be able to choose a seat. I dreaded my trip from Sofia to Stara Zagora because it was packed full so I had to sit at the back! With a travel agency you might somehow arrange sitting closer to the front and the buses are rarely as packed anyway. I'd rather go by car than a bus from Sofia to Bucharest, but the waiting time at the Danube bridge can be enormous even during week days. The train wait times seemed shorter than by car/bus. As I hate waiting the train was the least stressful option to me for this trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 02:16 PM
Forum Moderator

Added Trip Report flag
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 02:25 PM
J62

It’s nice to read about travel to places less frequented by many of us here on Fodors. It helps to demystify places unknown.

thank you