First Time Trip to London!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my BF and I will make our first trip to London next month, and are trying to make some loose plans. We have tickrts to Mood Music at the Old Vic (he is in that business) and to the Design Museum for the fashion show. We are trading our apartment to stay in a flat around Holland Park for 3 weeks and are pretty excited. Well, more than pretty excited, more like jumping up and down excited.

His grandfather perished in World War II, and he wants to pay respects, so we plan to see the Churchill Room -- we will get tickets and want to know if there's a best time of day? What other war related places, churches, etc. would you suggest? This will be an emotional visit for my BF, he will be writing his impressions and writing a song to convey to his father so the whole trip is very special. Thank you for any help you can give. We will have time to do more research on the plane and while we're there, and in the meantime are carefully studying our maps so we can get a fast start.
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We are trading our apartment to stay in a flat around Holland Park for 3 weeks a<<

Lucky you. Holland Park is a very nice area.

>>we will get tickets and want to know if there's a best time of day? <<. No 'best' time really -- it can vary every day, and since you will have pre-booked timed tickets that will help a LOT. I personally would not go on a Sat or Sun because they are generally the most crowded days . . . Same goes for the Tower of London. Avoid weekends if possible.

DEFINITELY go to the Imperial War Museum.

>>His grandfather perished in World War II<<. Which army, where . . . That could make a difference because there are various memorials and monuments scattered around the city. If American, definitely visit St Pauls and go into the American Memorial Chapel -- the windows and the book of remembrance (Roll of Honour) will be very emotional.
Old May 5th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj! I have purchased tickets first timing of the day -- the Imperial war Museum and the American Chapel will round out the theme nicely. Everything I look at about London is so impressive, and organized. The subway seems fantastic, for starters. We are thinking of toodling down to Brighton for an overnight.....and trying not to over-plan. Thanks so much for your help!
Old May 5th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucky you!

You might also consider these London Walks (one on the blitz and one on Westminster):

Our Walks - London Walks

Our Walks - London Walks

Lots of good day trips from London. On the WWII theme there's Bletchley Park and Duxford.

If you are interested in fashion don't miss the costume section at the V&A (or the jewelry).
Old May 11th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Sounds like your BF's grandfather was American. Do you know if he was stationed in the UK? In the Army Air Force? Does anyone in the family have his papers indicating where he served and perished? You might be able to visit some locations where he actually was. Two years ago this week I visited the site of my father's base and B17 crash (he survived) both were in easy distance of London.

London is wonderful and it sounds like you will have a fairly long visit. You could get to Brighton or there are other places to consider for easy day-trips from London such as Canterbury.