Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So who really wears a money belt in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy, the usual ROme, Florence, Tuscany, Venice, Milan thing. Our first time. Yes, we have read from so many that a money belt is important and I am sure it is.

But I am curious... who has really found it to be invaluable?
Who has just found it to be a pain?

Let's hear it...
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM

I do. In fact the day I got pickpocketed in Naples was one of the few days that I did not wear it. When travelling between cities/hotels, we keep our passports, most money, and at least on ATM bank card in it. We have the type that hang on your neck. I find the waist type very uncomfortable on hot days.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

So is the neck strap visible? Does it matter if it is?

Have you seen EuroTrip? I just can't get that image out of my head with that kid with the money belt strapped around his shoulder and body under his shirt
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Anyone who is smart and wants to keep their money uses one. Venice doesn't have as many theives as the other areas you mentioned because they can't get too far there, but believe me......wear your money belt.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

so what type of money-belt do you wear?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Absolutely a money belt or at least some sort of money pouch (Americans call them fanny packs I think)is necessary in Rome. I had a situation of a little gang of thieves trying to pickpocket me and without my money belt I would have been devoid of all my valuables. My husband and I watched in absolute amazement when one of these gangs swooped on an unsuspecting man and basically had their hands all over him - in his pockets, feeling his jacket and as he was pushing them away they were attacking him from the other side. It was like a ballet and done in absolute silence, from them and from him. It was several seconds before he realised what they were doing and it would have been enough time had he had a wallet in a pocket for them to steal it. This was broad daylight on a busy street (via Nazionale). Motor cycle thieves ride past you and grab handbags from shoulders, young girls push trays into you with little nick nacks on them to distract you while others feel your pockets. Constant vigilance is necessary. I have never encountered any of these problems in Florence, Venice or Milan however.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM

I use three kinds and wear two, just to be super safe. Guess I am of the old school "Belts and Braces" guy. I have a regular money belt if I am carrying a lot of cash that I don't need to get at in a hurry. When I am flying I wear the one around my neck so I can get to my passport and papers easily. The money belt is rather a pain to get anything out of in a hurry. One almost needs to undress.

When I think I will be in a place where there might be any danger I wear the neck pouch with a bit of cash in it and keep the larger part in an ankle pouch with my sock pulled up over it to hold it more securely. The idea is that if some thug sticks a knife up my nostril I can (with alacrity) hand him the stuff in my pockets and the "hidden" stash in my pouch with the hope he will not make me drop my pants to be sure he has gotten everything.

Don't laugh. Happened to a friend in Argentina. Luckily the thief did not make him take off his socks. It was dark so the bulging right calf was not noticed.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM

How can you stuff all that money under your pants? Wouldn't it show through? I think it would show under your neck too I don't think it would work very well and you it would be obvious you are stashing something under there.

I think I would laugh if I saw alot of tourists with odd bulges!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:12 PM

I have used a leg pouch that goes around your calf. You can't see it at all under normal pants and I've found it to be very comfortable.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM

Really be sensible and only try to carry the amount of cash you will need for the day. Don't carry every single bit of money, credit cards, airline tickets and passports with you. Most of the better hotels will have a safe in the rooms and you can stash you cash in there. This will avoid those bulges in your trousers and under your jumper. We only ever carried one credit card with us even though we each have the same cards in each of our names. That way if say my husband lost his Mastercard mine was still stashed safely in our room - thus if he had to have his cancelled we still had the benefit of the Mastercard in my name.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM

We used money belts that we bought from Target (in US). It was a bit uncomfortable while we hiked in Cinque Terre but better safe than sorry!! my friends, who went to Italy, a week before we did, saw a man whose wallet was stolen right in front of them and the guy didnt even realize that his wallet was gone from his pants till he reached for it a little later!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM

I use one when I'm in Europe. The 2 star hotels I stay in generally don't have a safe available at the front desk or in my room. Since I wear it between hotels I figure I might as well wear it all the time. I use the kind that goes around my calf. You can't tell I have it on.

If anyone ever sees you getting into your money belt or can tell you have one due to exposed straps, bulges or whatever, you've blown it. The idea is for people to never know you have it. The only time I get into mine is in my hotel room or a bathroom stall. (I do worry about dropping the thing in a toilet... )

It makes me laugh when I see someone fumbling to get into their's in a public place. Not only have they shown everyone where they have money, but they're usually quite distracted while doing it. A great time to have yourself relieved of your walking cash.

All I have in my front pocket is a wallet with a credit card and less than 100euros. I will have my ATM card in my wallet if I need more cash that day. I do that first thing in the morning, go to the ATM, then have breakfast where I can use the bathroom to put away my ATM card and surplus cash.

While I wouldn't want the hassle of losing a credit card or 100euros. The loss will not ruin my vacation. A mild inconvenience of calling the credit card company and a trip to the ATM for more cash. I start using one of the 2 extra credit cards from my money belt and it's back to vacationing. I don't risk wasting a precious day of my vacation getting a passport replaced.

I'm not a believer in the "be aware of your belongings" school. I'm on vacation to see the sights not watch my backpack sit on the floor.

BTW: a fanny pack is not a money belt. It's a small bag that straps around your waist with a belt on the outside of your clothes. If worn with the bag in front it's really exposed for pickpocketing. If worn with the bag in back it's really, really exposed to pickpocketing.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:09 AM

I use one that goes around my waist. It is light and flexible fabric so it is not at all uncomfortable. Luckily, I have never been robbed, but it gives a good piece of mind.

joie - "all that money"? I don't stuff a ton of things in it. Just enough money to last the day, a credit card or two, and my drivers license, usually. The passport and the rest of my money/valuables stay in hotel safes.

Karen
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:18 AM

Put me down as reckless or lucky, but I have never used a money belt in over 30 years of traveling in Italy -- with one exception, for one day in Palermo. The following day I just wore my handbag as usual. I do leave my passport, airline tickets and larger sums of money in a safe at the hotel.

The only time the wallet was taken out of my handbag -- it only had a few dollars in it -- was on a bus in Mexico City.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have always worn a money belt in Europe but never really protected some valuables.

I kept my wallet (fair amt of cash) and card case in my pockets and Passports, plane tickets and extra money in the money belt.

Prior to our trip to Spain this spring I decided to change tactics.

I used the money belt but also used a very thin small pouch that I hung from my belt and inside my pants to hold credit card and cash above 25E.

All I had in my pockets was up to 25E, sun glasses case and street map.

I got pickpocketed in Madrid at the Rastro flea market. My street map and sunglasses case.

They even returned it.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:26 AM
rfb

I've never used a money belt and never had a problem.

I'm wondering, do all of you who do use them, use them at home too?

Do you think that there are more thieves elsewhere than where you live?

I've never understood the paranoia that makes people believe that they are safe at home, but less safe when they travel. Of course, there are thieves everywhere, but a minimal amount of common sense should protect you from all but the most aggressive.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM

I have never worn one and never really though to wear one. Madris was the only place I was overly cautious. I made my partner give me any cash we needed for the day and I gave him 20 euro run away money (In case he has to run away from me!) I figured if they even tried to get their hands in my jeans pocket they would probably have to part with their hand as I would notice asap!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:36 AM

You can use a room safe if you want to but I think I'll just be in charge of my own necessities - Read:

Author: robbiegirl
Date: 05/02/2004, 02:50 pm
Message: This was posted on another credible site by someone:
Unsafe Prague Hotel: While in Prague in July 2003 a group of 21 students and three teachers stayed at the Hotel City Club, and all our rooms were robbed. . . . we returned at 9PM 6 rooms had valuables (camera, money, CD players, CD, change,....) stolen. The rooms were NOT broken into but rather keys were used to get in. . . . Also two other people staying at the hotel HAD VALUABLES STOLEN FROM THE SAFE at the same time! The desk clerk and manager did nothing but laugh at us and said they were not responsible for any loss.

Author: FlyFish
Date: 06/14/2003, 11:52 am
Message: We were in Venice and decided to take a short walk. I took the equivalent of about $40 out of my billfold for incidentals and put everything else - cash and credit cards - in the safe. When we returned the hotel had lost power and WE COULDN'T OPEN THE ROOM SAFE FOR SEVERAL HOURS.

Author: dugi_otok
Date: 06/14/2003, 12:57 pm
Message: Hate to put a damper on the safety of hotel room safes.
Friends traveling with us in Budapest had their ROOM SAFE BROKEN INTO while we were out to dinner. This was at a big time US hotel chain.All gone- passports, $,travelers checks, airline tickets....
Earlier that evening my friend went down to the lobby and asked how do you operate the room safe. He recalls, the staff members eyes lighting up like a Christmas tree.So we suspected an inside job. . . . . (the police said that hotel safe burglaries happened before), the hotel manager made good by believing my friends- reimbursed them . . . . I will never leave anything of value in a hotel safe again.

Author: E_from_Texas
Date: 06/14/2003, 03:44 pm
I recently returned from Europe and stayed at the Hotel Cluny Square in Paris. The Hotel Cluny Square has a big issue with room key control and will give a room key to anyone requesting it. Noting this, I made sure that my valuables were either on me or in the in-room safe and that my suitcase was locked when I left the room. However, this did not deter a thief who gained access to my room with a key and BROKE OPEN THE SAFE. Filling out a police report in the wee hours of the morning was not the way I wanted to end my stay in Paris. So I would say, the best place for your valuables (and that includes charge receipts that may have your credit card number on them) is on your person. The best investment I made for my trip was a $14 money pouch. The only item they took from my safe was receipts with credit card numbers on them.

And:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34515144

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:38 AM

rfb, one man's paranoia is another's common sense.

IMHO wearing a money belt is a small price to pay for peace of mind and it might just save you from a lot of grief. Don't wear one if you don't want to, but why scoff at those that do? Not everyone is lucky.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:52 AM

We all do, on our vacations. It's a lot easier than wasting a day trying to cancel all cards, and god forbid how long it would take to replace your passport and airline tickets,especially on a weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -