Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So what do you all think of Karen Brown's recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:41 PM
deepa

I have now finally booked the villa and all hotels for the august trip to Tuscany. Finally ended up with a KB recommended villa called Borgo villa sesta and also Il Falconneire for a couple of days. Have stayed twice before in KB recommended places - La Fenice in Positano and Le Hameau in Saint paul de Vence and was very pleased. What have your experiences been?

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:58 PM
StCirq

I'm impressed with Karen Brown as far as Italy goes, not so much for France, but that said, have only really investigated her suggestions for the Dordogne, which I'd wager I know better than she does. Her maps and directions for the Dordogne are not great. But for Italy I've used her and found her reliable.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Kimerley

I have booked into a B&B in Bath for July based on her reccommendation. <BR>The owners have been charming to deal with and I am eagerly looking forward to our stay.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Bob

We have used KB all through Europe and have been generally pleased. We did find the places she recommended in Switzerland to be a little expensive but overall I have recommended her to many people. We have never found a place to be other than how it was described in the book.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Joyce

I discovered KB from a posting on this site. Her recommendations for Germany and Switzerland were great. Switzerland is not budget priced. Considering the value received, I didn't consider it particularly expensive. If you like charming places to stay & wonderful food, I highly recommend Brown.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Rex

I keep waiting for someone to prove this wrong, but I hang my hat on this fundamental truth: <BR> <BR>there are no lemons on www.karenbrown.com <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:04 PM
John H

I have stayed in some of KB's recommendations in France and have been very pleased with them.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Patrick

While her recommendations are very good, the basic problem I have is a simple difference in basic desires. While I love small, charming hotels, what I don't like is out of the way places. I do not like driving back to the country after dinner and wine, or having to eat dinner at that "remote" place because I don't want to drive, or having to travel to stroll around a city after dark. I just wish that somebody could find a whole lot of those same type places that are located closer to town or city centers. Now I realize than some of hers are, but most are in the outskirts or even the countryside -- just not part of my scenario.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Rich

We had reservations in a hotel in Cordoba, Spain that Karen Brown recommended. When we arrived the place was so drab and depressing that we immediately checked out and went to another hotel.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Paula

We love her books. We have used them extensively for Italy, France, England, New England and California and have found them to be very accurate, especially the Inns and Itineraries series. She has wonderful centrally located hotels and out of the way places. She is always my first source for a charming inn. We have great memories of the San Regis in Paris, Le Piazze in Chianti, Relais San Pietro in Polvano and the Gritti in Venice. Her website has great information also.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:10 PM
nickie

K.B.'s guide for Germany - two of her selections were outstanding, and - sorry Rex - one was absolutely horrible. I did e-mail her website advising of both reactions - they were quick to print the bit about where I loved a particular place, but didn't print about the awful one. When I inquired about it, they replied that "they couldn't print all of them." <BR>I also was not happy with the France guide- the book doesn't cover many areas, and much is just thrown together under train travel.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:43 PM
Lucy

Rich -- was the KB-recommended hotel in Cordoba called the Albucasis? I'm wondering now whether we should avoid it.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Mariarosa

I agree with Patrick. I have looked at her recommendations, and many are located rather far from city centers. Her guidebooks are suited for travellers with cars who want to spend some time away from the hustle of towns, following the driving routes she lays in her book. I have stayed at only one of her recommendations (I had already picked it when I realized that she recommended it) and it was great. I give her kudos for having a great website with a lot of free information.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:36 AM
tourist

Nickie, which was the German hotel you thought absolutely awful, and why? Could the price range have been a factor?

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 07:12 AM
michele

Deepa, <BR>I've used her guides for Spain; both north and south and found them very reliable. I think she accurately describes her selections; if it's out of town , she tells you ( I don't like out of town spots either). If it's a more modern parador; she lets you know it's not all that charming.She is also pretty clear that she is not a budget guidebook. She is great deal more reliable than other guides.So, I tend to side with Rex as does our local purveyor of travel books. <BR> <BR>Lucy, <BR>I stayed at the Albucassis ( that's the one on Buon Pastore? ) . It's quite nice. Our room was small, spartan, and spotless, the patio area was most relaxing in the early evening (sherry was served) and the hotel was quiet. It's not a splashy place, but I think your choices in Cordoba are limited and I enjoyed the serenity of the Albucassis a great deal.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Bob

We have used her guides to find a great place in Cornwall and two great places in France. But her guides are only as good as your ability pick and chose which places fit your likes and dislikes. This is true for Fodors, Frommers or any other guide book. <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Thyra

I gave her book to my In-laws, who were going to England last October and they booked at one B & B that looked lovely. When they arrived however they found our that it had gone out of business. Luckily they had their paperwork and the former owner helped them to find another place that they ended up loving. Apparently when they emailed KB they got no response.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Tina

Used her for Italy recommendations. Stayed at La Fenice in Positano and on subsequent visit, Villa Rosa (also in Positano) --- her descriptions were on the money for both.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 03:52 PM
deepa

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am now nervous about Il Falconiere which KB has described as a real 'jewel' but I have done more searches on this site and have found quite a few people say that the service was awful and the restaurant actually requires the men to wear ties and jackets! They haven't confirmed yet, and maybe its just as well!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Judi

Deepa, have you considered the Hotel San Michele in Cortona? We have not stayed there yet but are booked in a junior suite (whatever that means) for L 280,000 in November. It has gotten wonderful reviews on this site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -