Reload this Page >

SNEAKERS ARE HOT IN PARIS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Carol

I just got back from Paris and believe it or not--sneakers of all colors and styles are the rage in Paris--at least on the left bank. Parisians of all ages and genders are wearing them. I suspect the reason is that the French now manufacture them, so they're cheap and comfortable. Who ever said the French aren't practical. So relax and put on your big white sneaks Mama, we're goin to Paree!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:29 AM
CB

Carol, <BR> <BR>I must agree with you. Before my first trip to Paris last year, I readwith trepidation the warnings of not "looking like AMericans". <BR> <BR>What I realized after my trip and spending time with Parisians my age (mid 20's) was that most of them wore sneakers. I suspect a lot of the warnings on this web site come from some old fogeys.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:38 AM
cherie

I just got back on the 9th....Are you sure you weren't just looking at me and thinking I was one of them???!!!!I wore my black Skeechers and survived all the cobblestone and broken sidewalks really well. )

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:50 AM
Sal

I'm sure you twenty-somethings look adorable in your orange platform sneakers or hightops or whatever, but I think that we old fogies look nicer when we're a little more "dressed", especially when going to restaurants or concerts in the evening. I'm leaving for Paris soon, and I will not be bringing sneakers, brightly colored or otherwise. I will be wearing comfortable yet stylish shoes and boots.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Marta

Carol, I am 100% with You!!! <BR>I am leaving at the end on October <BR>and my shoes are boots and easy spirit <BR>walking black shoes. C'est La Vie!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:07 AM
CB

No cherie, <BR> <BR>unless you speak perfect French, were born in Paris, live in the 14th Arrd. and go by the name of Luc, I don't think it was you.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Lori

I also just returned from Paris, and wore my sneakers everywhere. After spending 8 days in the country in shorts and sneakers, I didn't care by the time I got to Paris. Of course, I only wore the sneakers during the day, at night I dressed up. I never felt out of place, and I must agree, I saw most people in sneakers this time, both natives and tourists.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 12:09 PM
richardab

I also just returned from a fashion trend business trip to Paris and I must agree that sneakers were all the rage! I wore my black Sketchers and everyone seemed to be looking at my feet. Even high fashion stores like Colette had Nikes in the windows. One key note - The sport trend is following prestige labels such as Nike and Addias, not that lavendar jogging suit you have in the closet! <BR> <BR>Be warned... Don't wear your jogging outfit to dinner!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Nano

Okay, what are Sketchers?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:09 PM
SharonM

Oh, Whew!!! <BR>I've been losing sleep ever since I heard I might have worn the wrong footwear last time I was in Paris! LOL

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:10 PM
gayle

I'm with you Nano - What's a Sketchers? - first time I thought it was a miss spell .. now Im interested - Gayle

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:32 PM
tennielover

Ok, I know the answer to this one since I'm the mom of a 12-year old. Skechers are a pretty sturdy looking shoe that's sort of a cross between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. All the rage at my daughter's school. An additional comment: This summer I carefully did not pack my white tennies but opted instead for some SAS's. They were fine. But as I walked along I looked at the feet of many European women and I felt sorry for them because they all seemed to be wearing high heels. They looked great stylishly and miserable in the comfort area. Listen everyone, when you pack for a trip to Europe, choose the most comfortable shoes in your closet and don't give a hoot if they are white or otherwise.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:33 PM
CB

Nano and Gayle....I rest my case!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:34 PM
kk

http://www.sketchers.com/ <BR>That's the web site for Sketchers...you'll get the idea from the photos. <BR>Hot newish brand of the same old thing, IMHO.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:36 PM
marilyn

Sketchers are fashion sneakers, not athletic shoes. Lots of different snappy color combinations, huge platform soles, etc. Very big with high school and junior high age girls in my area.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Cindy

OK. I confess. I also wore sneakers in Paris and Rome. I brought my Rockports and Clarks, but I do a lot of walking, and my feet were really hurting after the first few days. I finally caved and started wearing running shoes (!) during the day, and it was the only thing that saved me.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Nano

kk, thanks for the sketchers web site. Now I KNOW I'll never want to buy a pair. I'd rather wear tennis shoes or hiking boots, but not a combo.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:16 PM
myfeet

As I observed last time this topic came up, those gorgeous French women (and their male counterparts!) are dressed for work or lunch or dinner -- just as most of us would be at home. They are NOT dressed to trek hours of the day through a very walkable city. We don't wear Nikes (or whatever) when we're out for the day at home; THEY don't wear dress shoes when they're trekking about through NYC or Chicago or Rome.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 07:08 PM
cherie

No, I'm not a hottie like Luke must have been abd Im well over 40 but I have a teenage daughter and when we preshopped for the trip, I looked at the giant platforms and gromitted laceups and decided that it might save my injured foot. I managed to put my kid's bicycle kickstand through my toenail the week before I left for Paris. I personally though the hottest thing walking around Paris (except for my husband if hes looking over my shoulder), were the police in their Euro-riot boots. Did anyone else run into one of their labor/protests? We managed to run smack dab into two strikes/ralleys...one was right in front of the Paris Auto Show...where, by the way, I survived thanks to those giant platforms. They really protected me! I never once wore the expensive pumps I brought along. Cafe de la Paix didn't seem to care, and neither did any of the Brasseries nor pubs.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Bev

I also just returned from Paris. I wore black Easy Spirit walking shoes. I took two other pairs but hardly wore them. I wore black dressy casual clothes and never felt out of place. Did not notice any bright colored tennis shoes or boots. In my opinion there is so much to do and to see in Paris people aren't looking to see what others are wearing. However, I was sure glad to get back to my blue jeans and white Reebox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -