Reload this Page >

Smoking rooms for non-smoker

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Meredith Coy

Our travel agent put us in hotels that do not offer non-smoking rooms. Neither my husband or I smoke. Will the smell be overwhelming? Should we change hotels? They are great rate ($140 US) and great location. Please give me your opinion.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Joe

I wouldn't change your plans. Most hotels have at least some smell of cigarette smoke. If you like the price and location, then stick with it. <BR>You could bring along some air freshener to mask the smell, just in case.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Miriam

Hi Meredith, <BR>I wouldn`t change my plans either. Even in the US, where people are much stricter when it comes to the separation of smokers and non-smokers I was experiencing sth. strange. I had a reservation for the Holiday Inn Midtown in N.Y., two people, smokers. When I went to the room there was a big sign saying non-smoking level. I returned to the front-desk and asked for a smokers room and the employee just told me that would send somebody to bring ash-trays. <BR>So, you could imagine how earnest this is meant in France or Spain... <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Joyce

We just returned from a week in Paris. Both of us are nonsmokers but never were bothered by smokers. I take that back - when we got off the plane at CDG an obnoxious American made a big deal about being able to light up in the airport!

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Lori

We've been to Paris many times and usually have stayed in Best Western affilited hotels with non-smoking rooms. We have always had a non-smoking room with them and I think it's important enough to change hotels given the chance. I understand NO hotel will absolutely guarantee a n/s room but if you stay at one with them you certainly increase your odds in having one. If all else fails - open your windows real wide and take along some air freshner..it won't solve the problem but it will help. Eating out is a problem too in that n/s sections are small (a couple of tables at best) and smoke filters all around you. We always try and eat a bit early to avoid the bulk of the problem. Unfortuntely, smoke is always in the air in most places, but I don't want to breathe it when I sleep too!