Search

smoking in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoking in Barcelona

what are the regulations re smoking in Barcelona? Is there smoking in hotels, restaurants or other public places? Is it necessary to request non smoking for restaurants and hotels?
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Jan 1, 2011 ... Barcelona: no smoking is no big deal. From Chicago Tribune: 'Anti-smoking law causes few sparks in Barcelona' | “It was known as something ...
http://www.barcelonareporter.com/ind...o_smoking...no...
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
January 1st would be a somewhat premature date to determine if the new restrictions were respected, since the law was not applied until January 2nd.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:06 AM

Yes, the law is being respected. The consiquence for bars, restaurants and hotels is a €600 ticket for each offense.

It's interesting, at least from what I've seen, smokers huddling outside restaurants and hotels in the dead of winter getting their fix, but overall, there are no non-smoking restaurants anywhere in Spain. Madrid is considering erecting some covered areas with heaters for those desperate for a fix, but I'm not sure Barcelona will follow suit.

A few hotels do offer smoking rooms, if that's what you want.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM

Now one must smoke on the street. Young people actually say it is improving their chatting up possible dates and aren't upset at all by it!
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:32 AM

The link does not seem to work as it just brings you to the front page of the website.
The Law as it stands is that Hotels can allow up to 30% of it's rooms for smokers. So it is advisable that if you have specific requirements you reserve ASAP.
Bars, restaurants, clubs etc clients are no longer are allowed smoking inside. However clients can smoke outside on the street terraces as long as they have less than 2 walls (including curtains) and they can have a roof. There is no smoking outside hospitals and in children’s playgrounds either. Even through they are in the open. There is no smoking on any public transport.
There are fines for both the establishment and the smoker if they break these laws. It is down to the Police to control the law.
Some downsides of this is that now everyone smokes outside the local residents are objecting about the higher level of street noise, something you should also beware of when booking a room. Hoteliers say It is hard to control a persons smoking habits inside a hotel room.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM
ita
Original Poster

what I want is non smoking everywhere
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:48 AM

you will not find non-smoking on the streets unless you hang around public buildings and hospital entrances. Sounds pretty boring to me. Not allowed anywhere else except those special terraces.. so..

oh.. I think the can still smoke at the beach, but it is very wide so should not hamper anyone's stay.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
hsv

"what I want is non smoking everywhere"

then stay home.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM

<i>what I want is non smoking everywhere</i>

You want what you want - that's fine.

Just remember, you will be a guest in Spain.

If there is smoking in all the outdoor cafes, instead of complaining about these foreigner's habits and laws, simply sit indoors. This a a small step above complaining that other lands don't always speak English. Relax, sit indoors, and enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:42 AM

ITA, when you come over to Spain maybe have a quick word with President Zapatero on your request. I am sure he would be happy you oblige you for your return visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM

BTW forgot to add El Presidente says that Spain has the strictest non smoking laws in Europe. Do you want him to make it stronger?
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM

we are the -st in so many fields...
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Looking forward to the change. I dislike sitting down for longer meals in restaurants because of the smoking.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"what I want is non smoking everywhere"

And what you want is what more than a few people addicted to nicotine ALSO actually want, also.

Do you feel able to meet ALL the requirements that your hosts in Spain are perhaps expecting such as you'll spend an average amount of money PER DAY while there? You'll act like an intelligent individual? etc., etc. travel works two ways you know
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 08:36 AM
ita
Original Poster

I was being facetious-come on. I want to know what the rules are in public places. I do not like to eat in a restaurant where there is smoking. If there is smoking I accomodate by buying take out. I also will not stay in a smoking room, but I think for Barcelona I would rent an apartment and they appear to have non smoking rules.

I am a seasoned traveller and know how to behave when I am a guest in a country, I am an intelligent individual and certainly will have to spend money while I am there. Part of my reason for travelling is to learn about other cultures, but putting up with second hand smoke is not something I am anxious to partake in. I have to put up with it in my home town. Now the air quality inside a building is often better than just outside, where everyone goes to smoke.