Smoking

May 17th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Marilynn

Smoking

Is there any hope for someone who is very allergic to cigarette smoke in Italy or do people just grin and bear it?

May 17th, 2002, 01:12 PM
xxx

What do you mean by "hope"?

May 17th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Graham

If you are only allergic to cigarette smoke in Italy, I would suggest that you find someplace besides Italy to travel to.

May 17th, 2002, 02:02 PM
smoking

It's not just Italy but most countries in Europe (where people smoke in public places - in the line at the bank, restaurants, etc.). But if you visit in summer season, most restaurants for example, have outdoor seating which might help you. But if "grin & bear it" means there is any chance of asking people not to smoke on your behalf... than -no- that's probably not gonna happen.

May 17th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Carol

I'm mildly allergic: I definitely get bad headaches after exposure to smoke, and if I'm exposed for more than about a half hour I usually get a mildly productive cough for the next day or two. I get asthma-like problems breathing only if I'm really close to a smoker or if there are a lot of smokers around, and usually I can avoid both of those situations. So I wouldn't say I'm VERY allergic, but I am at least either mildly allergic or extremely "sensitive" to it. For me, it is a slight problem in Italy, not a big one. I did not find the presence of smoke as overwhelming in Italy as it was in Greece, for example. I do, however, check the smoke levels before deciding on a restaurant, and on rare occasions, I've left after being seated but before ordering after realizing that the smoke was worse than I thought. The smoke is not as bad in the airports and train stations as it was in Greece. One thing that I find is helpful is that if I have been exposed to too much cigarette smoke, I should try to avoid too much exposure to vehicle exhaust the same day; i.e. do some rural walking in fresh air instead of hanging around a town with a lot of cars and trapped exhaust fumes. This is easier to do if you are spending time in smaller towns, rather than in Rome 9which I haven't visited in about 30 years).

May 17th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Alpha Girl

Agree with the above. On nice days, we would eat outside and if it was crummy, we would order whatever to go and go back to our hotel. I remember on the AVE from Sevilla to Madrid, we did not book until late and they only had smoking accomodations. This truly was not a problem for most of the ride and we thought we were in the clear until after lunch was served. We ended up spending the rest of the ride in the area between the cars! But I would not trade my experiences for anything; smoking is a small inconvenience and you learn to deal with it when you are somewhere where the culture is different. Take some non-drowsy Benadryl with you and enjoy Italy!

May 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM
carol

Actually, I don't learn to deal with it. I just avoid it as much as possible. I would not feel comfortable taking an antihistamine eveery day fro a two or thre week trip. I absolutely could not tolerate being exposed to heavy smoke all the time, but for as long as it's possible to avoid it, a trip can be very enjoyable. I'm also not sure that I'm willing to view it as just part of the culture. I grew up long before it was acceptable in the US to object to smoke, and it bothered me years before it became "safe" to complain. Smoking was part of US culture, I suppose, but I thought even when I was 10 years old that it was not nice for someone to smoke in a car with someone who was feeling sick from it, but was trapped. Smoking is also accepted in many places at home. I avoid those places. By the way, I've been on walking tours in both Italy and France in which the guide, local people (in Provence and in Tuscany), were nonsmokers and in one case more outspokenly anti-smoking than the Americans in the groups.

May 17th, 2002, 03:24 PM
nonsmoker

all the smoking is one of the most unfortunate aspects of Europe. smokers won't care that you're allergic to smoke so you'll have to try to avoid places where they are or else just grin and bear it.

May 17th, 2002, 06:18 PM
DB

Hotel Des Artistes in Rome is non-smoking. As for the dining, forget it.

May 18th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Smokey the bear

with all the fags being lit, I'm surprised Italy hasn't burned itself up. babies are born with fags sticking out of their mouthes. EVERYONE sucks those cancer sticks. Italy is a beautiful country except for the people! you're in for a heap of trouble if you go, sorry to say.

May 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Barbara

Just returned from two weeks in Italy and was amazed at the number of places,(cafes and resturants) that had no smoking signs and they were being followed. Of course this was in Bologna, Orvieto, Turin, and that was not the case in the south. But a real big improvement in the last year. Much better situation than in France.

May 20th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Mike

I'm allergic too...whenever I'm in a bar and around someone smoking I always break out and go buy. Break out my wallet and go buy a pack that is.

On my recent trip to London I was shocked at how many people were smoking and where they were smoking. Even as smoker I found it somewhat annoying. The worst/funniest part was when my non-smoking wife and I boarded a train for York and realized very quickly that it was a smoking car. Oops

May 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Dan

Italy is getting much better. Years ahead of France and Switzerland. The worst county though is Ireland. If you are not smoking in an Irish pub, about a dozen people will knock you to the ground and put three lit cigarettes in your mouth.

May 20th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Carolyn

Carol:

Why are you uncomfortable taking an "antihistamine every day for a two or three week trip"?

There are a number of prescription, non-drowsy, antihistamines available that can be safely taken for 2-3 weeks.

May 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
An Italian

I have just returned from a trip from the US and was amazed that you allow to publicize cigarettes,(illegal in Italy) I was also amazed by the idiotic behaviour many citizens have against smokers(even in the streets)as if these people are the responsables for the pollution in your cities. If you put all the efforts you put in to preventi people smoking into getting your politicians to sign the Kyoto agreement maybe we could start achieving something important for the enviroment. Unfortunately the US is now the most polluted country in the world as well as the biggest polluter. Wow they really manage to brain wash you in your country!! Start walking and buy smaller cars if you want clean air.
Oh by the way I am a non smoker

May 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mike

Hey Greaseball,

We aren't concerned about cigarette smoke because of the pollution. All we're asking is that when we leave a restaurant we come out smelling like we did when we entered. Not like a stinking frigging ashtray.

May 20th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Capo

Hi Marilynn. If by "hope", you mean you can travel in Italy even with all the smoking, sure.

But don't expect establishments, and especially smokers, to go out of their way to accomodate you.

You could, of course, "fight fire with fire" and spray an aerosol can with some kind of noxious substance into the air where people are smoking but, ironically, they'd probably find that offensive and ask you to -- or demand that you -- put it out.

May 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Carol

Carolyn: Even if you are an MD or an RN I might be skeptical of your comment, because mainly doctors (not mine) are a bit too quick and careless about recommending drugs as Antihistamines, including the "safe" ones, are not without side effects. I don't take medicines lightly. I also think that my reaction to smoke can be taken as a warning, and that avoiding exposure to the toxins is safer and better than dulling the temporary symptoms of exposure.

May 20th, 2002, 01:23 PM
laura

Why dont all you non smokers get a life. Im so tired of reading about how smoking affects you. Im a non smoker and I cound't care less what other people do.

May 20th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Tara

Well said, Laura! I'm also a non-smoker who has had it up to here with this wimpy whinging. These people need something better to worry them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO