SMALL Tour Groups

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM
joy

SMALL Tour Groups

If anyone has info about VERY small tour groups in France I would really like to know about them. Any and all info will be very appreciated. Also, is it unreasonable to plan for a trip to France now, for 2003, when the Tour de France is happening? My point is - is it too late to plan for this trip? Thanks.

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:43 PM
wondering

what would constitute SMALL? A group of 2? A group of 3?

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:54 PM
BarbHarrison

There are two people on this message board, StCirq and PBProvence, who are giving small (4-6 people, I think) culinary/cultural tours of the Dordogne and Provence a few times a year. I don't know when but you could contact them - I think they're both on AOL.

It's definitely not too late to plan for such a trip. France is a pretty big country and anyone giving tours will certainly know how to avoid the Tour de France - or take advantage of it.

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:58 PM
andi

I'm not sure what kind of trip you're interested in, but there are a number of hiking and biking tour operators. I took a great hiking trip to Provence through a Canadian Company called Active Journeys; there were nine of us. Back Roads trips are larger, I think around 20. I went to Morocco with Classic Journeys (more walking than hiking) and there were only six of us, but that may have been the destination; I know they offer France trips as well.

Jul 25th, 2002, 06:22 PM
joy

Wondering-- 2 or 3 people is not a group. Why bother yourself to reply with a"smart" answer. Find somethig else to do.

Jul 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
joy

To Barb and andi, I have heard of very small tour groups (12-14) people who go to very nice inns in France. I cannnot remember the details, I was not interested at that time, but , now I am. Thanks for responding.

Jul 25th, 2002, 06:27 PM
HelpfulHarry

Actually Joy - I think 2 or 3 people would make a VERY small tour group - which is exactly what you were after. Poeple can't help you if you aren't specific - do you mean about 10 people?

Jul 25th, 2002, 06:42 PM
carol

BCT Scenic Walking has small group (under 15) walking/hiking tours in Provence, the Dordogne, Normandy, Alsace, and I think some other areas of France (and other countries as well). I took two of their tours and found tham very good. A lot of other companies operate similar tours, e.g., Country Walkers, ATG-Oxford (heard they are excellent), Wayfarers (more expensive), Butterfield & Robinson (VERY expensive).

Jul 25th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Rex

Is it your goal to see some of the Tour de France, or to avoid it?

And if 2 or 3 is not a group, then what IS a VERY small group? 4? 7? 9? more?

We had 7 on the Fodorites' fall 2001 group trip to Italy. And I would be very interested in helping to organize/plan/lead a Fodorites' trip with France as its destination (though if you mean to actually see some of the Tour de France, I am not very interested in going in July).

10 is probably closer to a "sweet spot", with regards to best deals on air travel - - but 5 to 9 can be a nice sized group also. I have done groups from 4 to 16.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio

Jul 25th, 2002, 07:39 PM
anna

I am interested in next year tour to Frace too... I usually stay away from groups. But 6-10 like-minded people sounds as a good idea, especially for less toristy places. Do you have any useful web site links?

Jul 26th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Rex

to anna:

Please feel free to write to me if you mean that you would be interested in me putting together a "Fodorites" trip - - or if you simply want advice from me on doing one yourself.

Jul 26th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Simone

Try www.backroadstouring.co.uk or www.provencebyways.com/byways.htm.

Jul 26th, 2002, 05:37 PM
xxx

There are also cooking programs combined with a little touring with a compnay called Liaisons Delicieuses. There are several of these culinary programs in various regions of France.

Jul 26th, 2002, 05:38 PM
anna

I did not suggest to put together a trip for my convenience, I was wandering if someone can point me in right direction to find information about existing possibilities.
But if you are planning Fodorite trip to France next year, I would be interested.

Jul 26th, 2002, 08:49 PM
pat

Keep in mind that Paris is usually awfully hot during the Tour De France. We had a hotel with no a/c, and regretted it.

Jul 27th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Rex

<<I did not suggest to put together a trip for my convenience...

But if you are planning Fodorite trip to France next year, I would be interested.>>

It's a notion that not many people will have -- but it's how the first fodorites trip got started and the model I would like to use whenever someone wants to get the ball rolling.

Someone has to/gets to be the "guest of honor" - - the person who says "this is what I think I would like to do, where I would like to go".

And then I help put the itinerary together.

And ideally, interest is generated here on this board, and others want to join in.

All non-profit, non-commercial, with no financial advantage to anyone traveling. My goal is to organize, plan and lead. And pay the same as everyone else.

So - - pick a month - - and I will let you know if it is realistic for me.

Jul 27th, 2002, 09:02 PM
joy

Rex, you're like the third wheel that is always trying to join in. You remind me of relatives of mine that invite themselves to my summer home, luckily I can always fall back on saying that there isn't any room and that my children and grandchildren are coming to visit for that time period. Even fish begin to rot after 3 days.

Jul 27th, 2002, 10:53 PM
xxx

I can't believe anyone would like to visit you above poster. You are a person with low self esteem who tries to feel better about themselves by belittling others. You are not the type of person I'd like to be close to one second let alone spend time with.

Jul 28th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Rex

to joy:

I'm sorry that I remind you of "relatives... that invite themselves...", but I think I am extending an invitation, not fishing for someone to invite me.

My standing offer remains the same, to any interested Fodorite. Let me know a general destination and a time of year. I will invest my time to organize, plan and lead the trip. I prefer travel by car(s), and a "slowtrav" approach, typically with a week or so in a villa or house. I drive, I buy groceries (a shared expense), and I cook. All free of charge.

It's a lot of fun. I recommend it to anyone who wants to try it - - as leader or participant. Elvira apparently does it, and now sounds like sheila is going to be giving it a try.

I'll write to you, and we can continue this dialogue off line if you wish.

Jul 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Sheila

Rex, I can't think where you got that idea.

I am a private individual, and prctice law for a living. I have no interest in organising trips for anyone commercially or semi-commercially. It's hard enough work for friends and family

I reply every week to between 4 and a dozen emails from private individuals (usually from here)who want help with planning their own trips, and, as an "obligance" I try to help.

Please don't mischaracterise what I do. I don't like letting people down, which is why I posted the message about my email address.

I think to suggest that what Elvira does with her Loons is similar to what you do, is a pretty big mis-characterislation too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO