Small thank you gifts for Berliners?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been so touched by contacts I've been making with people in Berlin who offer to take me around and even a place to stay. These are people I've never met; now I know why Berlin attracts visitors from around the world who talk about the warmth and friendliness of its people.
I'd like to bring some small "thank you" presents with me, ideally something which is available in the US but not so much there. Some friends have suggested Obama items...
The sort of gift I'd think of would be chocolates or wine. The wine may still be an option, as I live in California and can get wines from small vinyards.
Any suggestions? I'm leaving on 2/26.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM

IF they're Obamafans, Obamalotry might be nice. But don't assume that because X,000 Berliners attended a rally he spoke at, every Berliner thinks he walks on water.

You're limited to 4 litres of wine before you have to pay EU import duty (trivial) and German VAT (less so). Plus the problem of what you can carry.

Ghirardelli's is both generally acceptable and suitably ethnic.

And as a frequent Miss Manners on this question, my congratulations on three eminently sensible suggestions. Not a hint of fudge mix, coffee table books of the greatest sights in Nowheresville, Iowa, maplesyrup or marshmallows.

Well done.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Hysterical response, Flanner! I am always amazed by the stuff people drag over the oceans to give as housegifts!

Seriously, Berlin is endlessly fascinating!

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM

...for some reason, the American west seems captivate many Germans..don't suppose you can dig up any cowboy and American Indian souvenirs, though
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM

I kind of think bringing wine or chocolate to almost any place in Europe to be sort of odd. There is already such good wine and chocolate here. Take your hosts out to eat as a thank you.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Unlike flanneruk, I am a German and here are my thoughts:

- I would love a t-shirt or sweatshirt of University of California or, if it should be very small, a baseball cap.

- I would also love some special food item from your region, e.g. a mix or preserves or a condiment or a sauce.

- Typical souvenir items are not bad, e.g. placemats or oven cloths with regional motives (like a crab if you live on the coast).

- Californian wine is, of course, nice, especially special wines (please, no cabernet sauvignon and not chardonnay). Here in Germany, every supermarket has Californian wines, but usually just the large brands like Robert Mondavi or Fetzer. Take a nice pinot noir or maybe a sparkling wine - why not the inaugural lunch Korbel?

What we do not like that much:

- Flags or other items of national or regional pride.

- Chocolate. I do not want to hurt your feelings, but German chocolate is really good.

- Be careful with Obama items. I would not give presents with a political statement to strangers. BTW, if you give an Obama item as a present, everybody here would suspect you have received it for free during the campaign. Bad style.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I'm with traveller1959 - both on the "yes" and the "no" suggestions - so just a few additions.

I would appreciate a book with photos and a little information about the town/region where you are from.

I would also be overjoyed about (don't laugh - we really don't have them in Germany) a pack of ziploc bags. Bit lame as only gift but in addition to something else...?

Anything that has to do with the place where you live, thus with YOU, has a good chance to be appreciated.

Wine is heavy to carry and there are limitations. On the other hand, when the wine is gone you have room in your luggage for your own souvenir purchases...
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Since it is still early in the year, I like to give calendars or diaries with US photographs. Most people in other countries like them.

I also like to give CDs.

A mug from your state or town is also a nice tiny gift. You can always add some tiny packet of US cookies or tea bags/ coffee etc.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Cholula hot sauce and See's peanut brittle. That's what I brought and it went over pretty well!
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM

How old are these people? German teens LOVE anything with HOLLISTER on it. LOVE to the point of obsession.

Thin
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

What wonderful and sometimes funny responses! Thank you so much!
On the Obama swag, yes, it would be presumptuous and a bit cheap to offer it, and it's true, who knows where people are politically?
I do know that chocolates and other candy in Germany is much better than ours, so that was never a possibility.
Ziplok bags! Yes!
And thank for the suggestion about local food. There is a small producer in Oakland of preserves made with organic fruit which is so delicious. I think this is the answer.
Thanks to much to all of you for your great advice.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM

I have lived in Berlin for a substantial time of my life, and also in the Bay Area for a bit -- a bit too shortly, IMO

If I listed all the items I had been ASKED to bring, you would find any "do" or "don't" which had been posted here.

First, it's your thought that counts.
Second, don't bring anything that is heavy, can break or spill.
Third, the rest is up to your discretion.

Ghirardelli is great - esp. the smaller assortments, gift-wrapped with SF motives.
College paraphernalia is cool. UC Berkeley seems to get more points in this field than Stanford (the first is simply better known).
Even small items, like the ubiquitous fridge magnets with cable cars or GG bridge got favorable responses.
Also light-weight household items, like pot holders or kitchen towels with some local recipes printed on.
Obama items are good now, too.

Again, no one with half a brain will expect you to schlep around the globe bottles of wine, heavy books, or anything else that will make your travels miserable.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks. I've decided on Ziplok bags and there are excellent organic preserves sold at a local gourmet grocer, made in small batches by one woman, with a hand-written label. She also uses heirloom fruits, and uses just the right amount of sweetener, so the taste and texture are excellent. They are small jars and I will pack them in Ziplok (!) bags in case of leakage. I know I'll find things to buy in Berlin, so I'll have room in the bag for the trip home.
It is great to have suggestions to mull over, which stimulate ideas and decisions.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM

I just have to chime in and say I know the maker of the organic preserves you are talking about; I have traded my organic Meyer lemons for her preserves. Makes me homesick to read your post, as I am in France and far from my lemons and her preserves. I think Ziplok bags are an excellent choice: I've brought them to France, also Glad Wrap--and dried cranberries.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi EastBayer,

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

I'm back from my trip to Germany, where I met many charming and hospitable people, some of whom are coming to California this summer, so I'll be able to return the favor!

I stayed at a guesthouse, Mittendrin, where amazing marmalades were on the breakfast table. I bought one to bring home to my husband, and without thinking put it in my carry on. Duh! I told the security person at the Frankfurt Airport that it shouldn't be tossed, it's so good.

I have a big Meyer lemon tree, too. Our neighbors love it as much as we do. But still, I wouldn't mind living in France, either.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'm dying to hear an update on the ziploc bags.
I got mine at the drugstore next door here in Munich, and I was wondering where the ziploc-less posters are based in Germany that they can't get them
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I was surprised at this, too. I didn't take any ziplocs as gifts. I did learn that "gift" means "wound" in German, though. I also found you can buy almost anything you need in Germany.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Following up: in addition to the local preserves, I also took art books, one on the history of California photography from the Oakland Museum of California, and the other on the local Bay Area art scene, from San Francisco MOMA.
My new Berlin friends helped to show me the wonders of this impressive city. I plan on putting together a Trip Report, only right now we're getting ready to leave for our month in Venice.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Glad to hear that you did not take Ziplock bags with you as they are available here. If someone brought me plastic bags as a gift, I think I would be a bit puzzled. The photography books sound like a great gift though.

Gift means "poison" not wound.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh my, I knew that, and forgot it. I tried to learn some German, and did manage OK with
enshuldigung, bitte and danke, and the good will of the people I was talking with. Many Germans actually apologized for speaking poor English!