Reload this Page >

Small room at Flora

Search

Small room at Flora

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Maddie

Small room at Flora

I just booked the Flora Hotel for May, unfortunately all they have is a Small double available. Read the posts and looks like the Flora is only great if you get a larger room. At $230 Eur per night not sure if it's worth it. Any comments from those who have stayed in the smaller rooms at the Flora?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:47 AM
bettyk

What city are you talking about? Lucerne? If it's Lucerne, then for that money, I'd try Des Balances (4*) or The Krone Hotel (3*) on the Weinmarkt. Better location and nice hotels.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Maddie

sorry about that, I meant the Hotel Flora in Venice.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Marj

I haven't seen the small rooms but did stay in a quad which is their largest room. The hotel itself is very charming with a lovely garden for breakfast or an afternoon cafe. It is in a very quiet and peaceful location. Venice, in general is pricey (compared to other popular cities in italy). If you find soemthing better, you can always cancel it. You may not be thrilled with the room size, but everything else about the hotel is delightful.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Jean

I would vote against a "small double" at the Flora Hotel in Venice. We stayed there in October 1999 at approximately the same price quoted to you for May 2002. <BR><BR>Our double room overlooked the garden but that was the only saving grace. The door to the room opened INTO the public hallway -- because there was no space for it to open into the room. The bathroom was approximately 4' x 4'. When one person used the shower, the toilet or the sink (there was also a bidet), the other person had to wait outside. The sink was the size of a large salad bowl. There was a tiny glass shelf for toiletries, perhaps 3" x 12". The shower drain was in the center of the floor and inadequate to handle the amount of water which then covered the entire floor and puddled into the bedroom. The shower curtain was on such a small-enclosure track in the corner of the room that it plastered itself to one's body. The bed was comfortable, but the snoring of the man in the next room drowned out my husband's snoring. The staff was OK, nothing special. The breakfast, however, was very good.<BR><BR>There must be somewhere better to stay at that rate. Don't get hung-up on being super-close to Piazza San Marco; nothing is very far away. Personally, next time, we will stay in Dorsoduro.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Harriette

We are also going to Venice in May and I spent 5 days just reading the threads of all the hotels and since it is our first visit it is mind-boggling. In the end we opted for the Monte Carlo {which is a Best Western property} because it is near San Marco --the pictures looked great--King sized bed the review by people who had stayed there was great and the best part is they had an AARP rate of $219 a nite. Also made a reservation with a credit card but have 36 hours prior to arriving to cancel with no penalty and was not charged an upfront fee. Hope it is as good as it sounds. It is rated 3*. When in May are you going?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:49 AM
harry

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Maddie

Thanks for all the help. We'll be in Venice May 23-26th. I had previously tried to book the Monte Carlo too but they were sold out as were most of my other choices! I just heard back from the Do Pozzi with a confirmation so now I just have to decide between the two by today. Do Pozzi confirmed a room in their annex, not sure if this is a good choice. Anybody stay in the annex at Do Pozzi? In the end I'm sure either will be fine not planning on spending alot of time in the room anyway.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:37 AM
elaine

Maddie<BR>I loved the Flora when I stayed there but I had a single (which was small) and can't say how small the doubles are.<BR>I will say that even my single had a decent-sized bathroom.<BR>However, you might want to check the current prices at the Colombina. I haven't stayed there but I inspected it last fall.<BR>Location is behind P. San Marco, a 7-10 minute walk from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop. Walking there the first time might be a little confusing, but after that it's easy. Since it's new, everything about it is fresh and attractive. I saw a large double that could accommodate a third person in a nice built-in daybed, and I also saw a standard double. Rooms were medium-sized based on my European experiences. I would not call them small by European standards. Bathrooms also medium-sized, completely modern. Room d&eacute;cor traditional, but light, airy, and charming. Very quiet location, especially the rooms that face the courtyard. Attractive breakfast room. There's also a bar on the main floor. I may very well try this place next time.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Gretchen

Maddie,<BR>Two years ago I posted a question about whether or not my husband and I should take a room with twin beds at the Flora if that's all they had left. (You can probably find that thread if you search "Hotel Flora.") We ended up taking it, thinking we could push the beds together. Wrong! The room was TINY -- so tiny that it was impossible to push the beds together. A disappointing first night of our Italy vacation (not exactly "romantic"!) Now, it wasn't horrible -- we actually snuggled up in one of the single beds at times -- but I remember thinking to myself what a dumb decision that was, as there are TONS of hotels in the same general area, and any of them would have been fine (and probably had double beds available). To me, the best thing about the Flora was the charming garden where they serve breakfast (and charming staff serving the breakfast), but I would have preferred to sleep in a double bed! Since you have the option of a double bed (albeit a small one), the decision is somewhat different, but I thought I'd share this experience with you so you can factor it in! Good luck, and have a great time in Venice!