small hotel in Portofino or south to Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a hotel (prefer a small one if possible ie 10 to 25 rooms) in the $200-250 price range hopefully with a coastal view that is accessible by car in the area from Portofino down to Monterosso.
Also looking for a good moderately priced restaurant in Portofino. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Good luck on the latter, but the former is doable. Look at Villa Margherita in Levanto or Miramare in Sestri Levante.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM

A few years ago we stayed at Nuova Riviera Hotel in Santa Margherita Ligure. This hotel is family owned, clean, and a good location. It is not on the water but only about 1-2 streets from the town center. Lovely restaurants and only about a 10 minute bus ride to Portofino. Walk to the train that takes you to the lower cinque terre towns. the rates are very affordable. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

http://www.nuovariviera.com/ing/index.html
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM

This hotel looks lovely and I have it on my list:

http://www.abbadiasangiorgio.com/

Please reconsider eating in Portofino. There are few restaurants and those that exist are overpriced, in my opinion. (I did not eat there but browsed menus)

You can do better in SML or Camogli, both just a few minuted away by car. I have quite a bit of restaurant discussion in my report; we stayed in both Camogli and SML on a visit two years ago. I will bring it up for you..

Da Rosa in Camogli has a divine view, and great food, even if it is a bit out of the route you stated. Worth the slight detour, in my opinion. Fairly priced.

http://www.rosaristorante.it/
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:40 AM

I agree with ekscrunchy. We did eat in Portofino. It was nothing special and it was waaaaay overpriced!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM

We also stayed in Santa Marherita Ligure at the Nuova Riviera, recommended above. We had a lovely, large room with a sparkling clean bath. It is a very nice B&B, with helpful owners. Reserve directly for a possible discount.

We paid an outrageous amount for caprese salads for lunch in Portofino. Better restaurants elsewhere.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Going to continue to research SML area as well as Camogli. Which is the more charming town?
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM

We stayed this past summer in Villa Adriana at Monterosso. It was originally not our first choice, but we enjoyed it very much and found it a good value. Our room was large with a beautiful view of the coast. Breakfast is included (we chose the B&B option). It is a small hotel, quite charming with its own chapel. The only minor drawbacks we noted were the WIFI access was not free (and only available in the lobby area) and the elevator was not always available.

http://www.villaadriana.info/
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
sha

In 2003 we stayed at the GH Miramare in Santa Margherita. It was nice but not great. In 2007 we stayed in the GH Portovenere and loved it and the town. It's just south of the last town on the Cinque Terre and incredibly charming. We has a suite (really 2 attached rooms), a small bedroom and another room we used to store luggage and to dress. Across both rooms was an enormous balcony overlooking the harbor, town, mountain and the sea-fabulous. This is not a glitzy, snobby hotel but one with tremendous atmosphere. Portovenere has some wonderful small restaurants, lots of history and feels very real compared to many other coastal towns.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM

PS. the Nuova Riviera does not have sea views, or an elevator.

Sha's recommendation above sounds great.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM

I really liked Portovenere. But Lerici was my favorite town. It's a bit south of the Cinque Terre.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM

I thought Camogli was smaller and more charming than SML, but they are both lovely. Camogli appeared, to me, to be more of a traditional fishing town, albeit firmly on the tourist track. SML more of a yachting destination, but also with plenty of "real" local flavor, especially once you move away from the port and into the heart of the town around the main piazza.

Because we could not decide, we split our stay--three nights in each town--two years ago.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM

I enjoyed Villa Gnocchi, an agriturismo/b&b perched in the hills above Santa Margherita di Ligure. It fits most of your criteria, except it's a b&B, not a hotel.

We had a car, which we parked in the villa's parking area for almost the entire 4 days we were there, walking/busing/training to the village above the villa, to SML, to Portofino, and to the Cinque Terre.

We paid 105 euros per night for a simple double with a small balcony (fits 2 chairs and a table) with a killer view overlooking the hills, SML below, the sea, and the extensive coastline down almost as far as the CT. There was a nice common room/lounge, and a lovely large terrace for relaxing and eating breakfast. It's not luxurious, but we loved it, especially the view. The pictures of the rooms on the website are accurate.

http://www.villagnocchi.it/
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM

http://www.villarosmarino.com/index_en.html
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all of your input. Unfortunately, we are there over a Sat night and I'm afraid we've waited too long for some of the lovely suggestions you've provided. Still reviewing our options but thanks to all of you, we have some great ideas for a return trip!