Reload this Page >

Small appliances/adapters

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:56 PM
xxx

I'm moving to France from the U.S. and I was wondering if any of you know if I can use my small appliances for a little while using an adapter. This is only short-term until I get the chance to get out and purchase new items. The appliances in question are an electric kettle, toaster and coffee maker.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Alec

My advice is don't. Even though they are "small" in terms of size, they are big on power consumption. When using an appliance like these with a step-down transformer, there is always a risk of overheating and frying the device.<BR>Just go out and buy what you need in France. They aren't expensive, and can be had from $20 or so.<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:17 PM

Fully agree with Alec.<BR>It would be a total waste of time, luggage space and money. You'll spend more on the transformer than on the three items combined, not counting the hassle...

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
John

The general rule of thumb is that anything that gets hot is not suitable for a voltage adaptor. Even supposed "dual voltage" hair dryers aren't really that at all: the "high power" switch position is usually just disabled, and the higher voltage makes the dryer blow the "high" heat at the "low" switch setting, if you get my meaning.<BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
xxx

Thanks everyone you've been a great help. The cost wasn't an issue I just wanted to save some time, since I was planning on shipping them in the container with my other belongings.