slow or rushed London plan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in London for 4 days by myself in late April (staying in Holland Park Ave,) and want to see the Holland park, Kensington high street,Harrods,Kensington Gardens,St James park,Buckingham Palace area.,

After that I'll be with a group travelling to Canterbury 4 nights, Winchester 3 nights, Bath 4 nights, York 3 nights,Keswick 2 nights, stratford-upon -Avon 2 nights then back to London. they return to Australia but I stay on in London for 9 days before returning to Aus.
Do you think i would be able to see the following in the 9 days i have ...
Hyde Park, Big Ben, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Tate Modern and the other Tate,British Museum, V&A, Portrait Gallery , National Gallery.tower bridge,Richmond and Greenwich.

Moonrise
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM

Do you think i would be able to see the following in the 9 days i have ...
Hyde Park, Big Ben, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Tate Modern and the other Tate,British Museum, V&A, Portrait Gallery , National Gallery.tower bridge,Richmond and Greenwich.>>>>

Yes. Perfectly doable. But why on Earth do you want to go to Richmond? It's nice enough and the deer in the park are lovely, but I wouldn't go halfway around the globe to see it.

But if your heart is set on Richmond I can recommend a few decent places to eat and drink….

CW - currently 200 yards from Eel Pie Island.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM

Only UK residents can take the tour inside the clock tower that houses Big Ben. As an Australian, you could vote for who's elected to Parliament if you lived here. But if you don't live here, you (or any expatriate Briton) will have to make do with looking at it from outside, which will take you - oh, at least 45 secs.

I'm not sure Hyde Park merits much time either. Unless you're an avid Sydney collector of the different Hyde Parks (remember there's one in upstate NY too, though it's a different Hyde), it's just a park. I know there are parts of Oz where grass is exotic these days - but, honest, the MBG's a lot more interesting.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:40 AM

Sorry: confusing parks and cricket grounds. I meant the Melbourne RBG's more interesting.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM

Yes, that is perfectly doable.

In Richmond there is a nice shopping area called Kingston - pedestrianized and nice for shopping, pubs on the river etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM

That's not in Richmond. It's in Kingston! A totally different place.

Richmond has plenty of shops and riverside pubs too (and is quite a bit nicer than Kingston which is rammed with bloody university children).
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:48 AM

Sorry CW - Kingston is just south of Richmond.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM

And impossible to get to from here.

And there's sod all there.

CW - just had a stroll down the thames path between Twickenham and Richmond. Is somewhat invigoured.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
"Do you think i would be able to see the following in the 9 days i have ...
Hyde Park, Big Ben, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Tate Modern and the other Tate,British Museum, V&A, Portrait Gallery , National Gallery.tower bridge,Richmond and Greenwich."

There are people posting itineraries here who are trying to see everything on this list in two days. Nine days ought to be plenty of time for those sights and more.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:06 AM

I'd agree that you have plenty of time to see all those sites either very slowly or those plus more. In 2008 we spent 14 nights in London and took 5 day trips, so we basically had a bit over 8 days in the city and we saw everything on both your lists except Holland Park, Richmond,and some of the art museums--but we saw a lot more, too. We packed a LOT in. (For our trip this summer with DD, I have planned much slower days for our time in London, but I'm glad DH and I spent our time in 2008 in a busy way--there are advantages to both approaches, of course.) If you care to see how much we got done in our 8 days, here's my TR
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-day-trips.cfm

Walking through all the parks, especially Hyde, is lovely--not to actually see anything spectacular especially but people watching is great.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Great help folks! I do appreciate the time and knowledge.Thought Richmond had a castle you can do through with much info about the Tudors...?
Glad to hear I could even squeeze in more.I think my trip with the group will be a tad quicker ....we are sleeping at each of those places named with the number of nighta and going on short trips away from there each day so though I might need some slower paced travel after that...perhaps not.
Clicked into your report texasbookworm and will return to it and make notes. It's fantastic! so much good practical advice.
Instead of Richmond, if it doesn't have the castle, would a day in Oxford be doable?
lots of questions because this is a once in a life time trip ...from Australia and a 'senior' citizen ...can i use my seniors card in England and how do i prove my age...apart from my grey hair etc copy of my birth cert? are they that fussy or just ny Aussie sen cit card enough?
Thanks CW, Flanneruk, jamikins, Nikki, and texasbookworm.
All such helpful people.
moonrise
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be thinking of Windsor Castle which is at Windsor, just outside London and easily reached by train. It would make a great day trip, the town is nice to explore and you could poke around in some shops and have lunch. If you want to leave the castle, go have some lunch in the town and come back, make sure you ask for a pass out (they put a tag around your wrist) before you leave the castle grounds.

The other place you might be thinking of is Hampton Court Palace which is in south west London and a train ride away, though a bit further than Windsor. The two places are very different and both fantastic with a lot to see. Plan on a whole day if you can, or at least half a day.

I'm pretty sure you can use your seniors card from Australia, I think my parents did when they were in the UK. I'll see if I can find out.

Kay
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay. sounds good. Yes, Hampton Court palace is the one I thought was in Richmond.
do you know any details re public transport for both Windsor and Hampton Court Palace? Is there somewhere I can get a pass that will cover the usual tourists spots so i don't Have to line up?
Thanks again for the info.
moonrise
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi moonrise, all the details for public transport will be on the websites for the individual castle or palace. Train timetables and fares are on www.nationalrail.co.uk

To reach Windsor Castle, we take the Central Line (tube) to Ealing Broadway then change platforms - go up the stairs and over the overpass then down stairs again - and wait for the train to Slough. At Slough change platforms again for a very short ride to Windsor. From Ealing the train takes about 30 minutes. There is also a train from Paddington. It might sound complicated but there are usually station staff you can ask and electronic signage at platforms.

For Hampton Court Palace, you can catch a boat down the Thames to reach it but I've never done that. I think we caught the train from Waterloo, it was direct and the palace is about 10 mins walk at the other end.

Definitely check out the websites for the castle and palace as it will tell you if anything is planned to be closed on the days you are going or if there is anything special on, like a band concert or parade.

As far as I know there isn't a pass to cover the trains to these places. You can use your Oyster pass within the London area then buy a ticket either from the tickets machines or from the person at the window. The machines are quicker but you do have to do your research beforehand and know what you want.

Have fun.
Kay
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM

Hampton Court is I believe closer in than Windsor and definately the Tudor castle. It also has lovely gardens.

Its in zone 6 so you can use your oyster to get there on the overland train from Waterloo. Very easy.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/hamptoncourtpalace/

Henry the VIII lived there. Well worth the visit.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:16 AM

Foreign old age passes don't really mean anything here.

For paid-for attractions, and intercity buses, just tell them you want a discount. No-one ever seems to ask for evidence, though if you're worried just carry your driving licence. Since we don't have ID cards, and not everyone drives, it's quite common for us to carry our passports around.

On other public transport, non-residents can't really get a discount. For £24 you can buy a Senior Railcard, giving you 33% off most train fares (and, if you then register it with a London Underground ticket office, 33% off the daily cap on Oystercards). But for one trip to Oxford and a week's pottering round town, it's really unlikely you'll get your money's worth.

For Windsor, you either get a train from Paddington and change at Slough, or a train direct from Waterloo. There are no direct trains from Paddington.

For Hampton Court, the advice on using your Oystercard is valid if you've got Pay as You go on it. If you've got a one-week Zone 1/2 Travelcard on it, things get complicated and you need to ask advice from a ticket office before starting your journey.

Oxford's a doddle. 55 mins by train (leaving Paddington every half hour) or 90-120 minutes by bus, depending on traffic, leaving several different points every 5 minutes. Consensus on this forum is that most visitors prefer the bus, because it's generally cheaper, especially if you want to travel earlyish in the morning, and drops you in the middle of Oxford (though the train offers dirt cheap advance-booked tickets: www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk)

Google both 'Oxford Espress' and 'Oxford Tube' for bus fares and pickup points. The city's designed (well, grew unplanned) for easy walking: it's practically one big pedestrian zone. Tons of guides at www.visitoxford.org
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:21 AM

PS: Sorry: forgot you're touring all over. Senior Railcards are valid for a year. If you plan any train travel at all elsewhere in Britain, almost certainly worth buying a card.

You don't need to have one to get a discount on any advance fares you book on the web: but you must have one when you get on the train using those tickets. Takes about two mins to buy from any railway ticket office. But PLEASE don't buy one during rush hours. It's not just legal for other people in a queue to murder someone doing that: it's mandatory.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM

Just a random thought, but I noticed that you want to see Tower Bridge but make no mention of the Tower of London. It's a lot of fun and is great history. The Yeoman Warder tour is free, gives great information and I've never heard someone say they didn't enjoy it.

Also, I highly recommend the Supertour at St Pauls. They're only offered a few times a day and cost a few pounds but give great information and gets you into areas that you're otherwise not allowed into. That's the only way (that I know of) to get into the geometric staircase.

The tour at Westminster gets you into one or two areas that you can't get into otherwise and again, offers a lot of information and history.

Yeah I know, I'm big on tours, but getting the history really makes some of those fantastic old buildings even more fun and interesting.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

We're Australian seniors and were in London last May. We took our Aussie seniors' cards just in case, but we asked for senior's discount at lots of places and got it, without proof of age. We went to Hampton Court and Windsor Palace on two seperate trips and found that in early May, there weren't any queues and very few people around, so had a good look at everything.
Can I suggest you add the Wallace Collection to your list if you can. So many beautiful things to look at. Another trip we enjoyed was to Greenwich. There is a lot to see there and the trip down the river is nice too.
Have you looked at doing a London Walk? Their website is www.walks.com. The cost is reasonable and you don't have to book - just turn up at the designated meeting point.
Hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM

And just in case you run out of things to do . . . (that's a joke) . . . I really enjoyed the British Library and the Churchill War Rooms. Haven't been to the Imperial War Museum yet, but it's on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -