Slovenia

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slovenia

My husband and I would like to make a stop in Slovenia after visiting Venice. Is it worth our while? If so,should we go by train from Venice? What hotel/hotels would you recommend? Any help in this area is appreciated.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Slovenia is well worth a visit. You need to decide what you want to see; Ljubjlana (city)? Bled (pastoral lake)? Or some of the coastline between Italy and Croatia. You can go to Ljubjlana and Bled by train (via Trieste) or by train to Trieste and then bus to one of the coastal towns.

If you know where you want to go, you will certainly get some good tips on hotels.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Margo, here is a part of my trip report from 2002. It is worth your time, but I would train to Ljubljana and get your car there.
Author: BOB THE NAVIGATOR
Date: 10/18/2002, 02:13 pm
Message: NAVIGATING IN VENEZIA & SLOVENIA--PART TWO OF THREE

4. SLOVENIA IS WORTH YOUR TIME: A noted European travel expert was being
interviewed on CNN a few months ago and was asked ? where is the next undiscovered travel destination in Europe? His quick answer was Slovenia. I had read other good reports and
decided to add it to our Venice itinerary since it is so close--just around the corner from Trieste. We trained from Venice to the capitol city of Ljubljana---a charming city of 270,000 that is often called a ?small Prague?. We stayed at the adequate 3 star Hotel Turist---actually our 3rd choice since the Hotel Slon and the Grand Union were both booked. It was a typical business hotel in a good location, but I would try to stay at the Grand Union next time.

After a week of near perfect weather in Venice, we spent the next 3 nites in Ljubljana in a cool rain. We did wander thru most of the city, but the rain certainly did not add to the charms of the city. The second day we got our rental car thru Avis and drove to the fabulous caves near Postojna--about an hour drive. They are the best caves we have seen in Europe, and we have been to Nerja and to Castellana Grotto in Puglia. A spectacular sight and well worth the time.

We found the people of Slovenia to be very friendly and were surprised that many spoke excellent English. Our favorite place to eat was a local haunt that specializes in Slovene dishes named SOKOL--we ate there 3 times. We had planned a day trip to the Julian Alps and Lake Bled, but alas the rain caused us to cancel that excursion. So, we departed Ljubljana and headed SW to the Adriatic coast and the resort villages of Portorocz and Piran--which are only 2 miles apart. The former is an upscale beach resort town with several high rise and modern hotels. We did not have reservations, but I negotiated a good rate at the 4 star Hotel Slovenia
where we got a great room with a balcony overlooking the blue the Adriatic. It is one of 3 hotels owned by the same group that share a fabulous salt water heated pool complex. It was also hosting a conference of the foreign ministers of Austria, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, and Slovenia. You can imagine that the security was tight. We got settled and then drove the coast road to the spectacular medieval fishing village of Piran. Picture Portovenere with an
Adriatic flare---we loved it. Of course, my trusty Canon was working overtime and the weather was picture perfect. We returned to Piran twice over the next 2 days and were
captivated. The President of Slovenia was there the next day to dedicate a new school, and we had to park outside the village and walk in. These 2 villages are less than 20 miles from the border with Italy and make a wonderful destination for a coastal respite when traveling to the NE part of Italy. There is also a catamaran that runs from Venice to the nearby port of Izola.

Slovenia is worth your time--check it out. I regret that we did not see the lakes and mountains in northern Slovenia, but the parts we did see were lovely despite the lousy weather in Ljubljana. I strongly suspect you will be hearing alot more about this small and beautiful country in the coming years.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:52 PM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 1300 has the trains.

Venice Santa Lucia 0717, Trieste 1945 to 1052, restaurant car train, to Ljubljana 1341
Venice Santa Lucia 1010 Monday to Friday, Trieste 1213, taxi 6 kilometers, Sezana 1425, Ljubljana 1616
Venice Santa Lucia 1310 Monday to Friday, Trieste 1525, taxi 6 kilometers, Sezana 1650, Ljubljana 1840
Venice Santa Lucia 1543 to Ljubljana 1940: fastest train
Venice Santa Lucia 2010 to Ljubljana 0144

[email protected]
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:41 AM

There is also a fast train between Venice and Ljubljana:

Venezia Mestre Ljubljana
dep 15:56
arr 19:40
More information at:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...quest=yes&

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:12 AM

You are more likely to leave Venice Santa Lucia at 1543. Thbis is the fastest train I marked in my first note.

[email protected]

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I think it is worthwhile, but then, I live in Ljubljana! The Grand Union is usually the first choice. It is a 4 star and reasonable off season. We also have the Hotel Lev which used to be an Intercontinental and is a 5 star. Finally, there is the City Hotel which is a 3 star and has recently had a facelift. All are well located.

Other sites to see include the caves (as mentioned), Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj, Soca River Valley (gorgeous) Triglav National Park in the Julian Alps, Piran and the Lippizan (sp?) Horses. A car would be helpful.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Margo, you don't mention how much time you plan to spend in Slovenia. I would spend my time in Ljubjlana. It is very nice city to visit. We stayed at the hotel Sloan and were glad we stayed there than the others mentioned above.
Lake Bled is nice to see, but was too laid back for us. Very little to see or do there except seeing the lake.
If time is limited, do Ljubjlana only-you won't regret it.
I found that in Ljubjlana there were more (young) people there that speak English than any country in Europe we have ever visited. If fact, when we were looking for a particular restaurant, I asked a girl if she spoke English, and she responded, "of course"
It blew me away.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Margo,
Yes....to Slovenia!
We drove....but I'm sure the train to Ljublijana would be fine!!
Ljublijana is beautiful...we stayed at the Hotel Grand Union...wonderful view....great location. The city is a little bit of Paris and a little bit of Prague. And Yes....English is spoken in abundance.
The Lake Bled area is spectacular...we stayed at the Hotel Bled....on the quiet side of the lake.....great accomodations. Huge suite for 150 euros. Make sure that you take the walk around the lake....we also rowed from one end to the other. It is almost too beautiful to believe.
If you have any other questions.....
[email protected]
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Oops! I forgot about Hotel Slon! Thanks, Sepre Diritto. SLON is slo. for elephant. Great locations also!

Cheers,
Jan
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone who replied to my request. Your information is invaluable and I do appreciate all of it. Thanks again.

Margo
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM

My wife has this sticker on her car bumper from there "SLO"