Skype video phones

Search

Skype video phones

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skype video phones

Has anyone used these while traveling in Europe, specifically Germany?
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:25 AM

We've used Skype quite a bit in Germany, but never a specific Skype phone, although I've contemplated purchasing one. Do they have something new out?

H
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:37 AM

I use skype all the time - but from a computer. Although we use the computer skype to call both land lines and mobiles/cell phones. It's not free like computer to computer is, but still very cheap. Last few trips I've been traveling with a netbook mostly so I can skype, and my daughter lives in Paris right now so when I'm here in the US and she's there we skype constantly. But I'm not sure what the deal is with specific skype video phones.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I checked it out more and it's pretty big, plus you only get 20 minutes and have to recharge for two hours, so that's not very efficient. I'm weighing Sype vs. getting a phone for Europe.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM

better yet, get a netbook computer. For less than $300 (I've seen 'em as low as $220 recently), you can get a much better solution to your problem. Take a step back and look at the problem you are trying to solve; namely you want an easy, affordable way to stay in touch with people back home. With free wi-fi so readily available now, a netbook makes a lot of sense. You can use Skype to call people, you can email, IM, send updates to facebook, video chat, etc... Also, you can store your digital photos, upload photos to photo sharing websites, use Google maps, look up info on sites, book reservations, on-line check-in, etc... All in a small, light-weight package. The only downside I can see is there really isn't a way for people to reach you. But, when traveling, that might not be such a bad thing