Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skype/Pocket PC Question + T-Mobile Global Data Info

Jun 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have first hand experience using Skype on a Pocket PC with a GPRS data connection? It says specifically on the Skype website that the bandwidth for GPRS/EDGE is not high enough to allow voice calls, however I thought I read about others using skype successfully on a PPC tethered to a data connected cell phone. I have a Quad band Window Mobile PPC and a global data plan with T-Mobile which gives me unlimited data usage worldwide. If this works, it would be a cheap way to make calls if I need to and can't find a hot spot.

BTW, T-Mobile has a great international data option that is not widely documented on their site. For an additional $19.99 per month, you can get unlimited data worldwide. The good part is that you can add or subtract this add on at any time. You have to call customer service to activate this options - it is not available on My T-Mobile. You can add it a few days before your trip and take it off as soon as you return - and voila, unlimited email/internet for $20! And if you can use Skype on a GPRS connection, you can make calls to any landline @ $.02 per minute from anywhere you can get a data connection.
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, just realized I double posted this question. Hopefully the other one ages out....
Jun 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Skype does work on GPRS - just not well enough to be useful. We gave up and waited until we could find a WiFi net.

That T-Mobile service is interesting, since I get approximately the same thing with T-Zones for $5.99 a month. It's WAP only, but unlimited surfing, including m.gmail.com and m.yahoo.com webmail.

My local outlet tells me that it's not supposed to be possible. But then, using my RAZR as a Bluteooth modem for an iPAQ isn't supposed to be possible either - but I do it.
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I thought that was the case but I remember reading that someone was able to make it work. I am sure I can make calls when I am in range of a WiFi signal easily enough or just pay the $.99/min if necessary.

T-Mobile is weird that way, going all the way back to the Omnipoint days. I had and account with them way back and paid only $5.99 a month for unlimited incoming and outgoing calls for almost 2 years. It was supposed to be a 3 month promotion.

More recently, I was able to subscribe to the unlimited Blackberry data plan for $29.99 per month, even though I do not have a Blackberry device. They recently closed that loophole, however, and I had to go with the Total Internet plan $49.99 per month which is essentially the same thing except $20/month more.

I haven't used the global data plan yet so I don't have any first hand experience with it, but I will in 2 weeks so I will report back. The problem with the T-Zones plan is that I need to access corporate email which I haven't figured out how to do using T-Zones, short of forwarding all of my work email to gmail or yahoo. There are also a few work related sites I need to access. It is worth it for me to pay the $20 because I may need to use a fair amount of data. I could easily see racking up a $500+ data bill at the criminal rate of $10-$20/mb they want to charge for international data usage without any type of global data plan.
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Ripit,
Is this the same plan that I currently have as an individual Blackberry user? I pay $19.99 a month for unlimited email/internet on my Blackberry (though my husband has much better internet through free Wi-Fi on his TMobile Dash) and I was told that I could let them know when I go to Europe and within 24 hours I would have unlimited email/internet in Europe under the same plan. Just wondered if this was what you are talking about or not. I didn't see it mentioned on the TMobile site, but did talk with the representative about it briefly when I requested my unlock code yesterday (which came today!). I'll be testing that with my Global Sim when it comes for voice calling...
Jun 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Kellye,

I do believe it is the same option. They do not mention it anywhere on their site that I could find. I spoke with three separate T-Mobile representatives, and they each confirmed that it is $20/month to add international to an unlimited data plan and that it can be added or removed at any time. I have yet to actually add it, but I will next week so I will report back to give an update.

Without this option they charge $10 - $20 per MB of data usage while roaming, which is criminal.
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Well, I just found out I have been mis-informed by 3 separate T-Mobile representatives. Not only is the $19.99 add on not available with a non Blackberry device, even with a Blackberry it only gives you unlimited access to email. I was told when I signed up that I could add on the $19.99 international option that would give me unlimited email and web access via GPRS.

I apologize for spreading bad information. Next time before I post I will make sure first hand that whatever I am posting about actually works.
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM

T-Mobile has leaks all over their system.

I use my RAZR as a modem for my iPAQ using a Bluetooth connection. They say it can't be done.

I use my $5.99 T-Zones WAP access in Europe with no airtime charges for surfing and email. They say it can only be done for $15/mb.

So my advice is: try whatever you want to - it just might work regardless of what T-M says.
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Robes - I agree. I have heard of some people on the same plan as me that have traveled internationally and never were billed for any data in spite of extensive usage. I know of another person that was greeted by a $876 data bill upon returning from a 2 month trip.

The problem is if I just go ahead and use data at will, if I do get charged, at $15/MB I could end up facing a pretty big bill. I just want to find plan that will give me unlimited international data at a fixed rate.