Skype expenses - I'm confused

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read about Skype here on the various boards and would like to use it when travelling to keep in touch with relatives back in the USA.

If seen people post that it is free to join Skype but when I went to get a membership, I see charges ranging from the $20 - 40 (yearly) range in order to join.

Is it a case of the software is free but you have to be a member to use it? I also saw good advice of storing the software on a flash drive. How large of a flash drive is needed?

Do I just not know what I'm doing? (go ahead, say I'm clueless...) Would someone take pity on me? I just want to keep my mom happy from not getting another $800 phone bill. Yes, I'm the chatty one in the family...

I know to expect the expenses of the headset for both of us since neither want to use the built in webcam and speakers route.

Other help/info to get me started?

thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:55 AM

Can you post the link that says you need a $20-$40 membership? Thanks.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm not aware of such a thing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

https://secure.signupsecurity.com/p0...bg))/join.aspx
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

How about checking the official source?

http://www.skype.com/

Read the header: "Download Skype free now for free calls and internet calls."

Then check this link for what's free and what's not and the prices for what's not:

http://www.skype.com/prices/

Have fun!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks. I'm hesitant with clicking that link. I always try to get my information from the horse's mouth.

By the way, have you used an IM software like ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger or AOL Messenger?

On some level, Skype is like that, so you can talk for free to anyone who has Skype installed. Skype itself can also be downloaded for free.

It's when you want other features (such as calling a landline) that things get more complicated.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM

I used Skype a couple of years ago when my niece was in France so we could call for free. Simply downloaded and installed the software and choose a Skype ID.

Both parties must have Skype installed and be on line to use the software. You can look up a Skype ID to see if the person has logged in so you can call them.

The best plan is to choose a time of day to make your calls home so the folks at home can be by their computers and have Skype running.

I used a headset with USB port as I was told it gives the best connection; buy the headset and try it out before you leave.

A friend recently (few days ago) tried to get me to install Skype so she could call because it is free so I'm sure it's still free.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM

Skype works in two ways.

If you download the free software you can talk, via your computer, to anyone else that has Skype installed on their computer. This is free and works just like the voice chat function in MSN Messenger. (On their website they call this Skype-to-Skype calling.)

The other way lets you use Skype to connect with real telephones. You can use your computer to call any phone number and you also get a virtual phone number which allows people to call your computer from a normal telephone. They charge for this facility - which I guess is the 'membership fees' you've seen.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to learn about this on the fly.

Any suggestions for selecting a good headphone? My mom will be using her dinosaur computer and would do well with good sound qualities from her headphones.

Me, I'll be using a new netbook and would like something small and portable but with good sound.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM

Plantronics is a good headset. Make sure it's comfortable for your head or ear. I prefer the type that has a piece that goes around your ear. The headsets that go over your head tend to get tangled in my hair and break when I pull them off.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing me to the other link. Perhaps I found a "look alike" company!

I just did my trial run with the software and used my first free call to a home phone. I think I have now gotten my mom hooked and she wants to give Skype a try. The sound quality was far better than expected.

This is like telephone crack, isn't it!?
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM

We used our iphone and used skype to call from China to U.S. phone #'s last month. We signed up on skype for free. We put $10 into our skype account. Then we downloaded the free skype iphone app which works with wifi. No headphones needed in this case, with the iphone.

We made calls for .2 cents a minute from China to the U.S. The clarity of the call was fine. With AT&T the charge would have been $2.29 a minute. We didn't need a skype phone number.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM

Check out my recent post on also using VonageTalk.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM

Hi moldy - As others have said, downloading the software is free. When we used Skype extensively last year when our daughter studied in Greece, we didn't join a mamber program. We had the option of whether to use Skype-to-Skype or Skype-to-land phone, which was more expensive but didn't require a separate membership.

Yes, it's like telephone crack!!

As for the headphones, you really don't need expensive ones - just make sure they state that they're Skype compatable. I bought a Gigaware brand from Radio Shack for less than $30.

Happy addiction!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

The family is now wired and dangerous!

Now, as long as there is an internet connection, life is good.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this started. At the rate I talk, I can run up some incredible phone bills!