Skipping Austria?

Old May 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipping Austria?

Hello all. My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this September. So far we plan on flying into Amsterdam and from there to Munich. Now is where I could use your help. We were planning on going to Salzburg from Munich for a few days and then on to Florence and Rome. We are trying to decide if a stop in Austria is worth it or if it would be better to spend more days in Italy? (our trip is 12 days) Also, I know there are some issues passing through the Austria border at this time.

Thank you so much.
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:22 PM

It might be worth it, but with 12 days, you don't have time for another stop. Well, you could stop, but no time to see anything.
Is your whole trip exactly 12 days, including travel days or do you have a full 12 days on the ground?

Lay out your trip, adjust days to fit your own interests.

Day 1, arrive Amsterdam, jet lag, walk around
Day 2 & 3, Amsterdam, perhaps day trip to nearby place
Day 4, fly or train to Munich
Day 5 & 6, Munich, perhaps with day trip
Day 7 fly to Florence
Day 8, Florence
Day 9, train to Rome
Day 10 &11, Rome
Day 12, depart for home
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:30 PM

It's hard for me to guess whether a visit to Salzburg would be worth it to you, since I know nothing about your interests.

Does your 12 days mean 12 full days (13 nights) on the ground in Europe?

Your proposed itinerary includes 3 days that will be mostly devoted to travel. That means that you will have 9 non-travel days, if you have 12 full days in Europe. Five major destinations in 9 days really is too much, don't you think? How about visiting either Munich or Salzburg, but not both.

There will be no problem passing the border between Italy and Austria. They probably will be checking passports, but they are certainly not going to impede normal travel between the two countries.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at your itinerary, with only 9 or 10 usable days, you are trying to do too much. Unless there are very good reasons to visit Amsterdam and then Germany, I'd skip them altogether and concentrate on Italy.

Maybe fly into Venice and the Florence, then Rome. That still only gives you 3 days per city.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Going from Ams to Mun costs 'only' half a day. One day is exxagerated. You can arrive about lunchtime, get settled and use the afternoon and obviously the evening.

So it is up to you to see how rushed you like your holidays and when you could be back.

Seeing too much means you don't profit as much of the cities you want to see, but if it is the trip of the decade you might want to do it.

Salzburg is definitely a beautiful city.
But 2,5 days in Rome as in the itinerary above (quite ok btw) is just barely adequate. And no side trips (Pompei, Herculanum etc).

Your trip ! You make what you want of it - I've done worse (in terms of being rushed) and could do again, depending on circumstances.