Skip the line at Versailles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Versailles October 2 and was wondering the best way to get tickets where we can avoid the long lines. Please help.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 12:08 PM

Go on the King's Private Apartments guided tour the first thing in the morning. See the remaining stuff after the guided tour Buy tickets in advance.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 12:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several websites (including Rick Steves) that discuss strategies to avoid lines. I assume most of the advice is still valid during covid times. This website page is dated March 2021:

https://worldinparis.com/versailles-skip-the-line
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 02:13 PM

I'm a little skeptical of the worldinparis "skip the line" ticket because everything I have read prior to our visit indicated that the only way to skip the line for entrance to the interior was to purchase King's Private Apartment tickets..

We actually visited Versailles twice, and we purchased tickets in advance from the official Versailles site both times. The first visit was in late Sept 2018 for just the gardens & fountains on a weekend (because the fountains were only running then). We figured that the actual interior of the chateau would be mobbed on a weekend - and it was. The line to get into the chateau only was at least 1 1/2 hrs long. There was a separate and quick line (10 secs) to get into the gardens. About a week later we visited the interior of the chateau on a week day. We purchased the King's Private Apartment tour (in English) because there was not a line for it. Entrance was "timed" and there was just a small group that assembled elsewhere in the entrance area. After the visit to the apartments, we toured the remaining rooms in the chateau (crowded) - but we never had to wait in a line to get into the interior of the chateau.

We never saw 2 lines to get into the general interior - like one to purchase tickets, and another for those who had already purchased "skip the line" tickets. But we really did not look that closely. We just marveled at the length of the entrance line on a Sunday.

Jean (or anyone) - have you actually purchased "skip the line" tickets and used them to skip the line?? What I read on Rick Steves skip the lines "comments" was about starting with the King's Private Apartment tour.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 02:34 PM.