Reload this Page >

Skip County Kerry?

Search

Skip County Kerry?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 09:34 AM
Jennifer

Skip County Kerry?

Hi! We're traveling to Ireland for the first time in May for six days. Our original itinerary was going to be Dublin-Kilkenny-Sneem-Galway-Dublin. However, since reading about the long driving times, I think it's best to cut out one city (we want to be able to stay awake past 8pm). The most obvious to me is Sneem in County Kerry because there is so much to explore that it's worth a trip in itself in the future-but will we regret it if we skip the Ring of Kerry and don't get to go back? Please send me your thoughts on skipping County Kerry, resulting in a new itinerary of Dublin-Kilkenny-Galway-Dublin. <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>Jennifer

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Lori

You really should try to see the Ring of Kerry. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Lori

You really should try to see the Ring of Kerry. It was absolutely gorgeous.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 01:46 AM
Fiona

<BR>Hi Jennifer, <BR> <BR>I'd have to agree with the previous postings ! It's a shame you can't change your arrival airport from Dublin to Shannon ! It would make entry into the southest so much easier ....anyway I guess it's too late to investigate that option. <BR>from your current itinerary I would skip Killkenny and drive from Dublin to Killarney and stop enroute in Cashel for an hour or two to view the "Rock of Cashel" - in the heart of Ireland, some tremendous history attached to it, the castle, monastry etc. the trip from Dublin to Killarney should take approx 7 hours - that's including a stopover in Cashel for a few hours. Spend the night in Killarney and the folowing morning do the ring of Kerry, I'd defintiely recommend spening the night in Kenmare - try the gorgeous Drumquinna Manor hotel - it's really quaint..with waterfrontage......the honeymoon suite is an actual treehouse......wellworth seeing ! <BR>I've spent many vacations in this area and would highly recommend it........in fact I'm.getting married in Sneem in September....yes we like it that much ! <BR>Hope you like the area as much as we do ! <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage ! <BR> <BR>Fiona

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:03 AM
leechase

<BR>DON"T give up Kerry!! I would also suggest giving up Kilkenny, stop at Rock of Cashel and then head for Kenmare. Drive the Ring of Kerry and consider driving around Dingle Peninsula. Galway is a long drive, so I would save it for another trip. You could perhaps go as far north as the Burrin and seee the Cliffs of Moher and stay in Doolin and hear some traditional Irish music. <BR>So, do Dublin, Cashel, Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Doolin, Dublin. <BR>Good luck. <BR>