skiing in the alps

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 04:46 PM
Maria

skiing in the alps

I would like to go skiing in the Alps in February, and looking for suggestions. I am an intermediate skier, looking for a quaint place with enough skiiable terrain for a week, and quick lifts up the mountain.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 05:01 PM
Ed

Suggest you take a look at Muerren in Switzerland. ( www.muerren.ch )

The Jungfrau region in general is spectacular. Muerren has, for us, the best views ... and, in winter, reportedly the most reliable skiing conditions. Lots of trails and lifts there, and more in the region nearby if you want even more variety. Difficulties of all levels. You can get passes for just the Muerren area, or the entire Jungfrau region.

Ed

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:51 AM
John

Hi Maria:

Have you ever been to Europe before? The Variety is greater than America/Canada combined!

My two cent observation on skiing in Europe

Italy is the best value, food and people are the best!

Swiss is Swiss... modern and expensive

Germany is a value, Garmish is a great ski town, but in a larger than quaint way

French resorts are cold modern structures but some of the greatest skiing on earth

Austria is the birthplace of skiing combining some of the best features of the Swiss and Germans..thats where I am going this January!

Can you give a little more detail about your trip. like is it a group, solo or couples trip, and price you want to spend?
JOHN

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Dick

We're just about to book our third trip to the Jungfrau area, so I'd second that as a great location, particularly for an intermediate. We stay in Grindelwald, which I would recommend over Murren because of the wider variety of terrain easily accessible on the First or Mannlichen slopes. Murren is unquestionably a more "quaint" and arguably more beautiful area - and somewhat more expensive - but the nearby skiing is more limited and while you can still access First or Mannlichen from Murren you will lose some time doing it. Murren is at a higher elevation, so it is indeed reputed to have more reliable snow conditions, but our experience has found that not to be the case.

Swissair runs some very nice packages from the U.S. and we have found the prices to be generally equivalent to France and Germany, slightly more than Italy, for equivalent accomodations.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 07:14 AM
Beth Anderson

Here's an article from the Washington Post yesterday...

have fun!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2000Dec1.html

Beth

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 08:46 AM
John

Thanks for the article Beth!

I love skiing Europe, even with all the problems. That article was pretty accurate for most all of Europe, not just Italy! Oh those lift lines!! The pushing is part of the fun!. Usually it only happens at the Base of the resorts. After you get up in the Pistes, you will have the place to yourself!
JOHN

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Ann

Maria, if you're going for the skiing, check out Ischgl/Galtur in Austria, at the "end" of the road in the winter... ski down the other side of the mountain and you're in Switzerland... stay right at the lifts. Interesting surroundings, good cross-country, quiet, lots of powder. If you're going for atmosphere plus skiing, try the Wilder Kaiser area in Austria, just outside Salzburg. It offers sleigh rides, curling, (again) good cross-country skiing and a variety of downhill mountains/trails that will keep you busy. Both are C-H-E-A-P because they're in Austria...

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 09:17 PM
Christine

Hi Maria,

If you're anything like me, I also look for lots of terrain and efficient modern lift system. This is particularly important since so many European resorts still rely on drag lifts, that I absolutely abhor since I am a snowboarder. I live in Switzerland the the 2 best resorts here I have found are Flims near Chur and Hasliberg near Interlaken. In France I really like Les Arcs near Bourg St. Maurice. These resorts are also all close enough to other resorts too. Check them out at
http://www.alpenarena.ch

http://www.meiringenhasliberg.ch

http://www.lesarcs.com/

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Izzy

I've organized a group trip the previous 7 years to Europe and it has become a passion. I agree with John's overview: if you're looking for great atmosphere, food, skiing, etc., combined with good value, I'd stick to either Austria or Italy. Some suggestions: Val Gardena, Italy; St. Anton, Austria; Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Austria; Val di Fassa, Italy; Courmayeur, Italy. e-mail me direct and I'll give you some names of tour operators to help and suggestions.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Mike Murphy

OK, so I'm biased. Megeve, France. 45 minutes from Geneva. 300km of pistes, 81 lifts. In a pinch you can get to Mt. Blanc. Website link below:
http://www.megeve.com/index_hiver.html

And I'm biased cause my lady's sister owns an Inn/Restaurant there - La Demi Lune.

Your only problem is going to be that February is notoriously crowded in virtually any ski area in Europe - kids get off from school for winter break, so plan your itinerary carefully.