Reload this Page >

skiing in interlaken

Search

skiing in interlaken

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
sagan

skiing in interlaken

i'm about to go to interlaken for 8 days, but am not sure what is best way to proceed skiing wise. Haven't gone skiing in 2 years, was thinking on starting on easier slopes and work "my way up". <BR>as a follow-up need to buy a quality watch as a gift--somewhere around interlaken would be prefered.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:13 AM
s

sagan,<BR><BR>The skiing is about 20 - 30 minutes from Interlaken by train & cablecar.<BR><BR>I think the easiest skiing is around the cable car "First," which leaves from Grindelwald. After you get your ski-feet under you, you can branch out to the Kl. Scheidegg area for nice, long runs back down to Grindelwald. Then you can get to Mannlichen, Wengen, & Muerren, then over for the "suicide piste" descending from the Schilthorn. Check out the trails map at www.wengen.com (click on "winter," then "activities & excursions," then "situtaion").<BR><BR>Because the ski area is so vast, I'd recommend you take ski lessons at least for one day or even for two hours every morning -- this can be a great guide to the best runs & the best snow available.<BR><BR>s

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Ingo

I absolutely agree with s, First is the skiing area with easiest runs. You should buy your ski pass in Interlaken. The train from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald, Wengen, Muerren etc. is included. www.grindelwald.ch might be another good website for you. You seem to have good weather and enough snow.<BR><BR>Best wishes<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Ursula

Ingo! Don't make promises. My boss was in Grindelwald over the last weekend and it was raining. But, there is still some hope, yes. At least yesterday and today were two superbe days in almost all Switzerland.<BR>Agree with you re. First although I definitely prefer the Maennlichen area for obvious reasons.<BR>Sagan: Enjoy your stay, wishing you lots of success and sun. Take skiing lessons, it's great fun.<BR>As for the watches, there are plenty of shops in Interlaken, don't worry. Prices are fix here, so it will be the same in Interlaken just like anywhere. Usually no bargaining unless you intend to buy 10 Rolex or Blancpain.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ingo

Ursula, the weather forecast for next weekend is "sunny", but you are right, you cannot be sure. As I mentioned before, I intend to go to the Engadine March 16th ...<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Ursula

Ingo: They got that much snow in the Engadin these days, that the marathon will be held on its original track. They already had plans for a slightly shorter track with lots of curves. Now, you will be able to enjoy the Statzerwald. Haha, that's what they usually show on TV. Wish you good luck, really. It must be quite an experience to participate.<BR>Hm... we lost the track here, I suppose.